Something clever
@Silver
Reaction score
Table of Contents
  • Things to Consider
  • Beginner Routines
  • Intermediate Routines
  • Need a spreadsheet?

Q: What kind of routine should I follow?

A: That's a pretty open-ended question. Lets go through some things that you should consider before picking a routine.

------- Things to Consider -------

Are you a Beginner or Intermediate lifter?

Being a beginner (or "novice" if you prefer) lifter isn't an insult. It is a reference to your ability to make rapid progress in the weight room. Being a novice is awesome because it is at this point that you will make the fastest gains in your life.

T NATION | Who Wants to Be a Novice? You Do.
A "novice" lifter is a trainee who is so unadapted to the stress of lifting weights that he can make progress as rapidly as he can stress himself and recover, a process that actually takes no more than 48-72 hours.

Here are some signs you might be a beginner/novice...

• You've never lifted weights before (that's an easy one)
  • Your previous lifting experience involved a bodybuilder-type split (back & bi's day, chest & tri's day etc) and lots of isolation exercises.
  • Your previous lifting experience was all or mostly done with machines
  • You can't back squat your own body weight
  • You've never squatted or deadlifted because you were told they are bad for your knees/back
If any of those sound familiar you are a beginner. It's never a bad idea to run a beginner program because you might find that you still have some noob gains in you and if you don't then you will stall quickly and then you know it's time for an intermediate program. If in doubt you are a beginner. This post might help too: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/42057485-post12.html

How often can you lift?

A lot of the beginner routines are meant to be done 3 days/week with at least one day off between lifting. So something like Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs/Sat. At first you might think you can do it every day but once the weights get more challenging you will need the days off.

Another thing to take into consideration is what else you will be doing in addition to lifting. A busy work schedule, martial art training and playing sports will obviously cut into your recovery time and the time you have to lift. Even if you have the time to lift 3 days/week at first you might want to only lift 2 days/week to allow your body time to adapt. Listen to your body.

If you can only lift 2 days/week you can try the 2 day split. Also, some of the programs lend themselves to 2 days/week (e.g. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5) because they just alternate between two workouts.

--------- Beginner Routines ---------

- Starting Strength

Mark Rippetoe's popular beginner routine. Start by reading the Starting Strength Wiki and then buy the book if you would like. There is also an instructional DVD that coaches the proper form for the lifts. One of the strengths of this program is that it is very popular so there is large amount of information available about it online.

Starting Strength Wiki
Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training
Starting Strength

- Bill Starr 5x5

Another popular routine with multiple variations. The first link provides more details on how to do the routine while the second link contains more variations.

Eclipse Gym :: View topic - Bill Starr 5x5 Primer - How to create your own 5x5 program
Bill Starr

Last edited:
--------- Intermediate Routines ---------

- Jim Wendler's 5/3/1

This article covers the general concepts and routine. TMUSCLE.com | How to Build Pure Strength

The can buy the eBook here. It's only $20. Elite Fitness Systems

5/3/1 for powerlifters: T NATION | 5/3/1 Reloaded

5/3/1 FAQ: 52 Most Common 5/3/1 Questions

Variation that has you squat every day: T NATION | Training Lab LiVESPILL (Go to the bottom and click Load More Spills, unfortunately the program is listed backwards (i.e. read from the bottom up, stupid T-Nation)

Variation that has you benching and squatting twice/week: T NATION | Blood and Chalk Vol 9: Jim Wendler Talks Big Weights

Updated 5/3/1 FAQ: 5/3/1 FAQ – Please read! - JimWendler.com

5/3/1 and MMA: 5/3/1 and MMA - JimWendler.com

Wendler talking about assistance: http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/10/the-last-word-on-assistance-lifts-i-wish/

Wendler going into more detail about the Boring But Big assistance template: http://www.jimwendler.com/2013/05/boring-but-big/

- The Texas Method

The Texas Method - Starting Strength Wiki
The Texas Method: Strength Training for Intermediate Lifters | StrongLifts.com
T NATION | The Texas Method

- Madcow 5x5

Bill Starr 5x5 - Madcow Intermediate or Linear Version

- John Christy 5-3-1

A 5-3-1 routine that came before Wendler's. http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/john-christy-5-3-1-a-1099053/
John Christy 5 3 1 Strength Building Workout

- Hepburn Method

A Canadian and a champion weight lifter. I think he knew a few things about getting strong. TMUSCLE.com | Hepburn Solution for Strength and Power

Here is a great post by MeatPlow talking about the Hepburn method: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/33752318-post20.html

- Sheiko

Translated from the original Russian, they tend to be pretty high volume.
https://liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/sheiko-spreadsheets/

- Twenty Rep Squats

Want a gut check? Try this. There are a lot of threads about this so do a quick search to get more people's thoughts. This is a squat-specific routine.20 rep squat routine

- Smolov

This one is a squat-specific routine. Smolov Squat FAQ

- Russian Squat Routine

This is another squat-specific routine. It's not meant to be run as a long-term program but just as a way to add in some variation. Russian Squat Program Generator

- Timed Total Tonnage (T3)
T3 questions for Keith Wassung

The Timed Total Tonnage ("T3") Programme- a review (by S&C's own JauntyAngle)

- The Juggernaut Method

Origin of the Juggernaut Method

eBook available here: Elite FTS

--- Need a spreadsheet? ---

This thread contains spreadsheets for many of the most popular programs: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/spreadsheet-thread-1386159/

Last edited:
I was thinking about this on the way home and it might be a good idea to keep this as a separate thread and just replace the current routines in the FAQ with a link here. That way we can more info here without making the FAQ huge.

I hear you about the FAQ needing to mention the 5/3/1. Can you believe the FAQ doesn't actually mention Starting Strength?

It's been a while since I've read the FAQ, so I'd forgotten about it not including Starting Strength. That's a pretty big gap considering that it's the answer to 50% of newb threads (percentage made up by me).

I think linking the FAQ here is a good idea. It could eventually be done with other sections too, so that the FAQ itself is short and concise, but has a bunch of links for further reading (either threads here or elsewhere).

I'd just like to say that when I came here, everyone immediately told me to read the FAQ, so I did. Then they all suggest Starting Strength, which is nowhere to be found. And I'm like, "wtf was the point of reading the FAQ?"

Like Tosa says, "it's a big gap".

[PS - I'm not questioning the fact that there's a lot of beneficial info in the FAQ, just addressing a specific issue]

It's been a while since I've read the FAQ, so I'd forgotten about it not including Starting Strength. That's a pretty big gap considering that it's the answer to 50% of newb threads (percentage made up by me).

I think linking the FAQ here is a good idea. It could eventually be done with other sections too, so that the FAQ itself is short and concise, but has a bunch of links for further reading (either threads here or elsewhere).
Agreed had that problem when I first got here too, The faq workout looked complicated if SS would have been there I would have been set.

Yes the FAQ needs an update, and yes, the FAQ needs to include SS. I would argue that every routine that is not SS is an intermediate routine, or at least a 'beginner to intermediate' routine. If someone is new and reading the FAQ, they need to start with SS, no?

I also think the question of "should i do one body part per workout" type of thing should be on the FAQ as we get that a lot. And maybe more emphasis on why the squat and deadlift are so important to overall strength.

I approve of this update.

For a complete newb, following SS is a lot simpler than doing the FAQ's 5x5 of one main lift and then assistance lifts. A noob can easily get confused about which assistance lifts to do without any direction.

Yes the FAQ needs an update, and yes, the FAQ needs to include SS. I would argue that every routine that is not SS is an intermediate routine, or at least a 'beginner to intermediate' routine. If someone is new and reading the FAQ, they need to start with SS, no?

Maybe instead of beginner then intermediate it'd make sense for it to be "Complete Newb", "Beginner", "intermediate" or something like that. Or maybe just emphasise Starting Strength, like make it a font size larger and bolded.

I also think the question of "should i do one body part per workout" type of thing should be on the FAQ as we get that a lot. And maybe more emphasis on why the squat and deadlift are so important to overall strength.

I think we should figure out wether we're going to focus on just reworking the routines section and then maybe other stuff, or whether the entire FAQ is going to be redone.

It might be that the entire FAQ needs to be redone...I recall something about how it'd be problematic to edit the FAQ since it's longer than the current maximum for a post. If I am remembering correctly it would mean that the entire FAQ would have to be changed together and not edited piecemeal. It would also mean that to keep length down it'd make sense to refer to other threads or sites to cover certain areas in more depth (like routines).

Isnt the 20rep squat a more of a BB routine, or has anyone got any good strenght gains from it?

20 reps is a bit much even by BBing standards. I've done 20-rep squats before when I was deloading or working on conditioning. It felt like I had more gas for the ME work later on.

I would like to go on record stating my personal opinion on this.

In general, for a complete beginner, SS is not the best routine there is.

For example: In general, the Stronglifts 5x5 or the FAQ 2-day split (there is no set/rep scheme there, but I will assume it is 5x5 on the main lifts like the 3-day split) are better routines than SS for a complete beginner, at least for the first 2-3 months of lifting. Then, as the intensity goes up, SS (with the 3x5 set/rep scheme) can be a good option. The lifter will still benefit from adding some assistance lifts (at the very least some kind of horizontal pulling).

I have no problem with FAQ stating that SS is the most popular beginner routine on this forum, but I personally disagree with the FAQs stating/implying that SS is the best routine for a complete beginner.

Disclaimer: I am using the term "in general" because the ideal starting program may have some differences for every individual person. The more advanced a person is, the greater the need for a personally customized routine, but even when it comes to beginners, some of them will benefit from a more customized routine.

EDIT:
Isnt the 20rep squat a more of a BB routine, or has anyone got any good strenght gains from it?
There are many threads discussing this exact thing. Do a search, read them, and if your questions aren't answered don't hesitate to resurrect one of those threads to ask your questions. Let's not turn this into a discussion about the 20-rep squats.

Last edited:
The reason for the the 3x5 set/rep scheme in starting strength, instead of 5x5, is a complete beginner probably has poor work capacity. I supose somebody who's new to strength training, but not athletics might have a higher work capacity. There is no reason to get dogmatic about which beginner routine is the best, so lets not argue about SS vs. 2 day split or Stronglifts. Plus, even if the best routine is X, people still like to have choices. If a beginner has a specific need for a customized routine that would be a good reason to start a thread.

I do think that there should be a speration between complete beginner routines, where the progression is day to day, and beginner-intermediate routines where the progression is week to week.

SS should definitely be included, maybe even emphasized, but to suggest it as the only beginner routine strikes me as rather cultish. I think we want the FAQ's to be more inclusive.

DrBdan, thanks for the work you did putting this thread together.

Tosa, that is a good post. Good point about a beginner needing a customized routine being a valid reason to start a new thread. DrB, you might want to include a sentence where it says something like "certain people with specific issues might need a routine customized on a personal basis".

I disagree with the point about 5x5 compared to 3x5 in terms of a beginner's work capacity. I don't think getting deeper into this is entirely relevant to this thread though. I am happy with SS being suggested as a popular starting routine, as long as it is not specifically stated/implied it is the best choice.

Actually, this SS issue has come up a few times and, although I know I am the minority in this forum, I think it would make for an interesting discussion that warrants a thread of its own. Tosa, if you want to start it I'll be happy to exchange opinions.

It might be relevant to this thread to discuss the reasons to choose one routine over another. First a person has to consider what level they are at a lifter, and then which individual routine to choose. So we could discuss why somebody might choose Starting Strength over Stronglifts or vice versa, and the pro/cons of each etc. If you want to discuss that in a sperate thread, go ahead and start it, and I'll join in.

Also, I came across a Sheiko routine for complete beginners. But I believe it's meant to be done under coaching. It's really only a template that would be combined with general Sheiko principles. For it to be included, somebody would have to fill in the details.

20 reps is a bit much even by BBing standards. I've done 20-rep squats before when I was deloading or working on conditioning. It felt like I had more gas for the ME work later on.

20reppers are not deload sets and you would not have more gas for max effort training in the same session or day or couple of days. If you are doing these correctly they fry you up, period.

I have some thoughts on the FAQ, and they're not particular to this thread, but it seemed as suitable place as any to post them. The purpose of an FAQ is obviously to answer the most common questions. But beyond that, I think the idea is that by getting people on the same page with regards to basic knowledge, we can better discuss training. So rather than "FAQ you, newb" being a discussion ender, it should be that reading the FAQ then allows a beginner to ask more intelligent questions and have more direction in his own learning.

But the FAQ also needs to be concise. So I think what might be best is an update to the FAQ. Starting Strength and the Wendler 5/3/1 should be included. Consideration could also be given to whether there are any common questions that aren't currently answered by the FAQ. And then have a "Beyond the FAQ", which would cover basic knowledge, and a list of good articles and youtube videos like the Dave Tate bench video and the Squat RX series. And a more complete list of routines and thoughts on them.

The idea being that by helping a beginner educate themselves (They don't know what they don't know) we can have better discussions, rather than these threads being an alternative to discussing things with beginners. Also, I suspect that a lot of good discussion would come out of developing a "Beyond the FAQ", like the discussion that this thread has already created.

Also, here's a beginner Olympic lifting routine. It might be worth inclusion, or potentially modification, then inclusion. It's not perfect, but I like it's relative simplicity...although it could be made simpler. But it does answer the question "what's a good beginner routine for Oly?"

Monday
20 snatches
10 clean and jerks
3 sets of 3 front squats
2 sets of 10 dumbbell clean & press

Wednesday
Snatch to roughly 95%
Clean and jerk to roughly 95%
5 sets of 5 squats
Walking lunges, 2 sets of 40 yards each

Friday
20 hang snatches
20 hang clean and jerk (could alternate jerk and power jerk)
3 sets of 5 overhead squat
3 sets of 10 bent press with kettlebell

WFW Program 2005. It also mentions the inclusion of regular ab and low back work, as well as jumping exercises.

I don't like the 5/3/1 at all -- too easy for a beginner to get hurt doing 13 reps on the deadlift without a belt

Back