***Family Vacation to Japan - suggestions welcome***

My family (wife and two boys - 13 and 10) are going to Japan from February 24 - March 14

We love eating (not fat) street food, but can also appreciate some fine dining.

My kids enjoy anime, not super hardcore, but the usual Dragon Ball, One Piece, Ju Jutsu Kaize, Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure

I appreciate architecture, culture, temples and having a beer

My wife likes photography

We land in Tokyo on evening of February 24 staying near the Ueno Park / Tokyo Dome City

We move to Kyoto on March 2 staying in the Higashiyama Ward

We move to Osaka on March 6 staying in the Dotonbori area, also taking in the sumo tournament on March 10

We head out to Hiroshima on March 12 to take in the history there

Coming back to Tokyo for one night on the 14th

any and all suggestions are welcomed, no stalkers please
Ueno station can be fun. They have a performance hall there.

Omotesando hills has some nice new architecture and fancy stores. Ginza too.

For anime stuff, you can find easily. But, Akihabara has unique stores for that stuff.

Kyoto has that thousand year old temple with the mirror part. Also another temple with a bar. The river area is good too.

Anything else you want to know, let me know.

in Tokyo
Akihabara for the kids
Shibuya for the shopping
Shinjuku/Roppongi for the adults (red light, night clubs etc..)

My wife makes this and it is so fucking good, I did get it once when we were In japan.

TS. Wife and I were in Japan last year and it was such an amazing experience. We were mostly In kyoto and Hiroshima. In general if you need a snack or road food, 7-11 is phenomenal. The onigiri and sandwiches alert our constant go to snacks.

For Hiroshima, obviously visit the peace park. It’s a humbling and terrifying experience.

In Kyoto there’s a lot to do, the Fushimi Inari shrine is a great place to take in an amazing view and see thousands of Tori gates. Kyoto aquarium was great, except for the dolphin pool that was too small. Spent a lot of time just walking around, toured the palace, cool wildlife watching along the river. If you’re lucky you may get to see an Ōsanshōuo (Japanese giant salamander).
The food in the Kyoto train station is overwhelming, there’s multiple levels (like a giant mall), one level is all desserts, one all entrees and one is all different ramen restaurants.
We rode bikes and took lots of buses, to save money on eating out we went grocery shopping and made breakfast almost everyday. Japanese eggs are great and the white bread is just so damn good.
I don’t think we had a single bad meal

Edit. Also, really nice botanical gardens in Kyoto.

Was wondering what the hell that animal was, thanks!

Also another great point. There convenience stores are everywhere and have great cheap food. If hotel didn't have breakfast that was our daily.

As for those train stations some are literal mazes. Google maps is your friend.

If you're taking Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka book seats early if you need luggage room and get to the station early so you can buy a bento to take on board!

Another thing to try is Omu Rice. Egg covered rice, usually get with a glaze or Jap curry and katsu etc.

Last edited:
only been to Japan once but that place was awesome.

Definitely hit up Tokyo Disney Sea. I think it’s only $55 per person and it was unique and service was great.

Poor pro tip: I actually preferred sushi from revolving sushi’s compared to the fresh one at the fish market. Fresh ones didn’t have that much flavor.

With your dates you just miss the world renowned bonsai show called Kokufu. I guess it's still a great time to view bonsai and there's some wonderful gardens in Kyoto.

My family (wife and two boys - 13 and 10) are going to Japan from February 24 - March 14

My kids enjoy anime, not super hardcore, but the usual Dragon Ball, One Piece, Ju Jutsu Kaize, Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure

We land in Tokyo on evening of February 24 staying near the Ueno Park / Tokyo Dome City

We move to Osaka on March 6 staying in the Dotonbori area, also taking in the sumo tournament on March 10

Also another great point. There convenience stores are everywhere and have great cheap food. If hotel didn't have breakfast that was our daily.

If you're taking Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka book seats early if you need luggage room and get to the station early so you can buy a bento to take on board!

Another thing to try is Omu Rice. Egg covered rice, usually get with a glaze or Jap curry and katsu etc.
We originally went to Japan for my wife’s friends wedding which was amazing to experience in Fukuchiyama. I was able to make contact with a zookeeper/researcher in Hiroshima and we met up with him to try and find them in the field. We found two of these massive animals, was such a life moment for me.
Tried to attach a pic but not figuring it out at the moment

@Andy Capp went to Japan recently. He might have some tips for you.
Indeed, I've been there several times and my wife is Japanese but I don't know how much I can add to what has already been said. I'll give it a go though.

Re:
"We love eating (not fat) street food, but can also appreciate some fine dining."
and,
"I appreciate architecture, culture, temples and having a beer"

Kyoto is where you are likely to have the best time on this score, although you can find amazing food and drink everywhere, including the 7-11's as someone has pointed out. Ditto lots of great architecture everywhere but Kyoto is kind of special.

While you are there, be sure to check out the Gekkeikan Sake Museum and the Kyoto Imperial Palace. Before Tokyo, Kyoto was at one time the capital of Japan. And I almost forgot to mention the Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion)
I took this picture:
Uf7Mnwj.jpg

For an amazing dining experience I'd suggest staying at a ryokan, a traditional Japanese inn, although they might be a tad expensive for an entire family--I really don't know. You may see meals like this breakfast,
5r4fx4K.jpg

Seems like you have Hiroshima covered and I know nothing about Osaka, sadly.

Odaiba, which might be a distance east of Tokyo, for the giant Gundam. May as well turn yourselves into Gundam and Gunpla fans prior to going.

I forget where, but there was some sort of selfie museum or something with optical illusion art where you pose and the perspective makes it look different. There's a name for that type of thing, but forgot.

If you don't like wasabi, avoid Japanese mayo.

Some fruits are really expensive, but you have to look at the grapes. You don't see those in the states.
Kewpie mayo doesn't have wasabi in it and it is far superior to any North American variety in any circumstance. Just watch out for what restaurants call "spicy mayo". I take no exception to the rest of this, however. I particularly agree with the first paragraph.
You're probably onto it already but get a rail pass for the Shinkansen and the rest of the network, great way to get around the country
100% It's a really fantastic way to travel.

One other thing, I second the mention of visiting an onsen as often as you can manage. Volcanic hot springs FTW.

I need to go for now but I'll see what else I can recall a bit later.

I wouldn't recommend the JR pass. It's no longer worth it like it was years ago even if you go back and forth from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto. Best to just book the Shinkansen tickets on your own and I would recommend choosing seats on the side where you have a view of Mt. Fuji.

Have a blast. Recommend a day or two in a ryokan and some onsen time.

Have a blast. Recommend a day or two in a ryokan and some onsen time.
I echo this sentiment. The one we stayed in the last time offered one that was private so you could have your spouse with you whereas most of them I've seen before now were split into male and female areas. It was glorious.

One other time when we were in a place called Niigata, the onsen was open air and we had a beautiful view of mountains across a valley from us. Speaking of Niigata, for a country covered all over in sake fermenters, that region is very well known for its sake thanks to the mountain-borne waters that flow there.

We were there for an even called Sake no Jin. When we went there were 500 different kinds of sake to try. It's the only time I recall ever seeing a Japanese person sloppy drunk and puking--the generally are taught well how to drink over there--but it was all you can drink and it was ooooooooooooh so good.

can anyone recommend a good tour via youtube?

Apropos of this I was reminded of oyakodon--parent (oya) and child (ko) on rice(don)--so glazed chicken and egg over rice. I love it.

I echo this sentiment. The one we stayed in the last time offered one that was private so you could have your spouse with you whereas most of them I've seen before now were split into male and female areas. It was glorious.

One other time when we were in a place called Niigata, the onsen was open air and we had a beautiful view of mountains across a valley from us. Speaking of Niigata, for a country covered all over in sake fermenters, that region is very well known for its sake thanks to the mountain-borne waters that flow there.

We were there for an even called Sake no Jin. When we went there were 500 different kinds of sake to try. It's the only time I recall ever seeing a Japanese person sloppy drunk and puking--the generally are taught well how to drink over there--but it was all you can drink and it was ooooooooooooh so good.
Further to this, I see it's on March 9 and 10 this year in case you want to make a side-trip, TS.

Incidentally, @wlu.29 I recommend the DeepL app for Japanese to English/English to Japanese translation over Google Translate. You can take a picture and can translate the text on it. It's not perfect, but it helps a lot.

I noticed we haven't even talked about booze, really. Ask away if you have any specific questions.

In case you ever see Dassai (the sake brand) offered on a restaurant menu, avoid it because it's over-priced for not much if any noticeable gain in overall quality compared with far cheaper options.

Shinjuku had quite a few baseball batting cages on top of short buildings.

Back