***Family Vacation to Japan - suggestions welcome***

wlu.29

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
My family (wife and two boys - 13 and 10) are going to Japan from February 24 - March 14

We love eating (not fat) street food, but can also appreciate some fine dining.

My kids enjoy anime, not super hardcore, but the usual Dragon Ball, One Piece, Ju Jutsu Kaize, Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure

I appreciate architecture, culture, temples and having a beer

My wife likes photography

We land in Tokyo on evening of February 24 staying near the Ueno Park / Tokyo Dome City

We move to Kyoto on March 2 staying in the Higashiyama Ward

We move to Osaka on March 6 staying in the Dotonbori area, also taking in the sumo tournament on March 10

We head out to Hiroshima on March 12 to take in the history there

Coming back to Tokyo for one night on the 14th

any and all suggestions are welcomed, no stalkers please

My family (wife and two boys - 13 and 10) are going to Japan from February 24 - March 14

We love eating (not fat) street food, but can also appreciate some fine dining.

My kids enjoy anime, not super hardcore, but the usual Dragon Ball, One Piece, Ju Jutsu Kaize, Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure

I appreciate architecture, culture, temples and having a beer

My wife likes photography

We land in Tokyo on evening of February 24 staying near the Ueno Park / Tokyo Dome City

We move to Kyoto on March 2 staying in the Higashiyama Ward

We move to Osaka on March 6 staying in the Dotonbori area, also taking in the sumo tournament on March 10

We head out to Hiroshima on March 12 to take in the history there

Coming back to Tokyo for one night on the 14th

any and all suggestions are welcomed, no stalkers please
Visit Americatown for some authentic Texas BBQ

b43ee1aa-683b-4221-ba8e-8fdda4d3a72b_text.gif

I'm also planning on going to Japan later this year so please let us know how your trip went

You seem to have a good handle on it. Advice is to get away from tourst areas if possible and visit authentic places. Do what the locals do concerning walking / traffic patterns.

You might make a Cherry Blossom Festival with your planned dates but it's cutting it close. Try to catch a parade if possible, the floats are amazing.

I’ve been to Japan many times.

Like someone mentioned get a rail pass. It pays for itself in a couple of trips.

I recommend visiting Takayama. The town is absolutely beautiful. You’re so high in the mountains, it seems like you can touch the clouds.

It’s an Onsen town with free open air Onsen and a beautiful bathhouse (there’s a fee) you can take a shuttle bus to. I stayed at the Rickshaw Inn.

Have fun at Honbasho (Sumo). Ive been before, and it’s a blast. I’m no expert, but PM me if you have any questions.

Have you had okonomiyaki before? It was one of my favourite dining experiences in Sapporo (homemade by a couple of sweet girls).

Anyway, it can be a fun dining experience. Some restaurants cook it in front of you a your table. It goes great with a beer as does most Japanese food.

IMG_0196.jpeg

In the end Japan may be the only good country left as its harder to move there they dont just let anyone in like alot of stupid countries have been doing lately. Japan is a great place too. I learned how to speak Japanese while waiting to get in college. Ive been a fan since watching this. its the best feudal Japan movie there is.

We are going to Japan this coming spring break/cherry blossom season. We are pretty much going to every place you listed except it will be a much more condensed since we only have like 11 full days, however we’ve done Japan before so it’s not a first time trip for us. We are also flying into Osaka and leaving in Tokyo so no back tracking. I’m sure you already know all the main attractions and all the theme parks if you guys plan to do some of them. We’re doing zero theme parks this time. Maybe next time we’ll do Disney Sea. Other than that I don’t’ think Disneyland or Universal is worth the crowd. Maybe Universal if your kids are hardcore demon slayer fans since their new demon slayer attraction/rides open next month. Ghibli Park near Nagoya maybe, but I heard it’s boring.

For Tokyo area I would consider checking out Hakone and Kawagoe area if it’s not on your list. If you plan to hit up Pokemon café I would spend a slight surcharge for a local third party to book it for you. With that many days you can also fit in another bigger attraction such as Mount Fuji, Shizuoka or even Snow Monkey Park is that’s your thing. We’re not doing it this time, but Kamakura and Yokohama is worth the day trip. If you want to see the temple with all the good luck cat figurines it’s called Gotokuji Temple.

For Kyoto consider checking out Arashiyama area. Less tourist and you can probably get a good photo at their bamboo forest without the hundreds of tourists flocking the area. There are several temples in the area worth checking out, just do your research.

Osaka is pretty straight forward with a lot of areas to venture. You can also do Pokemon Café here. Also if you don’t already have Nara on your list, it’s worth the day trip from Osaka. Again do your research.

When you go to Hiroshima check out some of the nearby islands. I’m sure you already have Miyajima on your list.

Other than that just keep planning. Have a excel sheet and organize everything. Join FB groups and use IG for more ideas. So many good restaurants to eat at and great shops to check out depending on you and your family interests. I would even entertain the thought on going to Jeju Island in Korea for a few days. It’s not too far from Osaka (2 hr nonstop).

At least half a day at Akihabara for anime, video game stuff. Maybe Shinjuku and Shibuya too or Nakano which has this relatively short building shopping center. I think Ikebukuro has a taller building shopping center. I heard on a recent podcast SH Figuarts are cheaper in Japan than importing from USA.

Odaiba, which might be a distance east of Tokyo, for the giant Gundam. May as well turn yourselves into Gundam and Gunpla fans prior to going.

I forget where, but there was some sort of selfie museum or something with optical illusion art where you pose and the perspective makes it look different. There's a name for that type of thing, but forgot.

If you don't like wasabi, avoid Japanese mayo.

Some fruits are really expensive, but you have to look at the grapes. You don't see those in the states.

I got nothing except to say have a great time and stay away from the trains , I've seen some odd documentaries about what happens to people on those trains , especially school girls...

I think my big toe got permanent damage from getting stepped on in a crowded train.

@GSP_37 has some great suggestions. We went March last year and a few things I would suggest are...

Osaka/Kyoto area shines/castles: Osaka castle, Inari Shrine, Arashiyama - small shrine and bamboo forest. Hemeji castle on your way to Hiroshima.

Tokyo seems much more like parks and shopping. As GSP mentioned Akihabara is great for anime and retro stuff. Supposedly Nakano too but didnt get there.

If your going to Odaiba to see the Gundam teamLab Planets is a great interactive visual place to check out, highly recommend.

Food in general is good. Each region has their specialities but if you are in Ikebukoro for sushi train Katsu Midori was so good we went back.

Have you had okonomiyaki before? It was one of my favourite dining experiences in Sapporo (homemade by a couple of sweet girls).

Anyway, it can be a fun dining experience. Some restaurants cook it in front of you a your table. It goes great with a beer as does most Japanese food.

View attachment 1025384
My wife makes this and it is so fucking good, I did get it once when we were In japan.

TS. Wife and I were in Japan last year and it was such an amazing experience. We were mostly In kyoto and Hiroshima. In general if you need a snack or road food, 7-11 is phenomenal. The onigiri and sandwiches alert our constant go to snacks.

For Hiroshima, obviously visit the peace park. It’s a humbling and terrifying experience.

In Kyoto there’s a lot to do, the Fushimi Inari shrine is a great place to take in an amazing view and see thousands of Tori gates. Kyoto aquarium was great, except for the dolphin pool that was too small. Spent a lot of time just walking around, toured the palace, cool wildlife watching along the river. If you’re lucky you may get to see an Ōsanshōuo (Japanese giant salamander).
The food in the Kyoto train station is overwhelming, there’s multiple levels (like a giant mall), one level is all desserts, one all entrees and one is all different ramen restaurants.
We rode bikes and took lots of buses, to save money on eating out we went grocery shopping and made breakfast almost everyday. Japanese eggs are great and the white bread is just so damn good.
I don’t think we had a single bad meal

Edit. Also, really nice botanical gardens in Kyoto.

Back