Fabricio Werdum on loss against Alexander Volkov: patience was my worst enemy.

Yeah, I saw a Werdum who could actually move and showed reflexes and quickness beat Cain. But I watched an old, slow zombie who sort of looked like that guy in the cage this past weekend.

Werdum got old. It happens. Father Time is undefeated.
The funny thing about Cain fans like you is that you still believe he's the same fighter of 2013. Guess what.. he's not. We've no idea how good and dangerous 2018 Cain Velasquez is. In the last 4 years he hasn't won a single fight so we can measure it, because Travis Browne since training with Tarvedyan is one of the worst fighters in HW, he's not even top 15 anymore, on 4 or 5 lose streak, so Cain beating him doesn't mean shit.

Werdum has nothing to be ashamed of, except of course his lame ass excuses and poor stand up.

Werdum made a couple big mistakes that took away any chance of him beating Volkov. In general, he didn’t show enough respect for Volkov’s striking, and he went for the arm bar in the 3rd, allowing Volkov to escape and giving up a dominant position.

If Werdum stayed at kicking distance, he could’ve avoided a lot of Volkov’s damaging punches. And if he kept the dominant position on top in the 3rd, he was up 3-0 and could have hung back and waited for Volkov to advance, maybe securing a TD, but avoiding the KO in the 4th and 5th.

Good for Volkov, hanging in there long enough to avoid the sub and tire out Werdum on the feet. I hope Volkov he continues to improve, since the talent pool at HW is so shallow.

Werdum has nothing to be ashamed of, he’s 40 and still one of the toughest men on earth. But he’ll never reach that peak he had when he clowned Cain in front of his country, he had to know that was as good as it would ever get.
Right on, except Cain is about as Mexican as Taco Bell.

this douchey kid in highschool got some lame tattoo in Sanskrit or something in freshman year

overheard him explaining that it said "patience and arrogance", and I gained a tenuous amount of respect for him, that he could at least acknowledge that he was an arrogant bastard

a few years go by and I overhear him explain to somebody else that his tattoo was "patience" in Arabic

I guess I had initially misheard. But from then on, I sort of liked the pairing of the two words, like the Christmas and Knives store I saw in Pensacola, Florida...

edit: aw sheeit, here she is↓
IMG_0826_large.JPG

edit 2: dang, this one is actually in AL... THERE ARE MULTIPLE CHRISTMAS AND KNIVES STORES

You can just tell that this is owned by some bickering couple who compromised years ago

Last edited:
Patience was Volkov's best friend in this fight.

He patiently defended on the ground and brought it back up where he had the advantage. Plus he had the cardio to last 4 (probably 5) rounds.

Volkov is a slow starter and a bit of a plodder but his patience, composure and perseverance is what wins him the fights. Chin too.

Being 29 also helps.

This. Werdum looked really bad in that fight. Like a shadow of his former self. Hell, Volkov looked really bad too. How many times did he get taken down by that some slow as hell, telegraphed single leg with no setup what so ever? Any high level fighter with any semblance of takedown defense doesn't get taken down like that. If they do slip up and allow it once, they sure as hell don't fall for the same trick again.

But HW is so evolved now, bro.

He is not as cocky when he doesn’t have his boomerang with him...

Volkov would be child's play against Werdum in his prime which was around 2009-2015. Volkov won merely on youth. No shame in Werdum's defeat though.

this douchey kid in highschool got some lame tattoo in Sanskrit or something in freshman year

overheard him explaining that it said "patience and arrogance", and I gained a tenuous amount of respect for him, that he could at least acknowledge that he was an arrogant bastard

a few years go by and I overhear him explain to somebody else that his tattoo was "patience" in Arabic

I guess I had initially misheard. But from then on, I sort of liked the pairing of the two words, like the Christmas and Knives store I saw in Pensacola, Florida...

edit: aw sheeit, here she is↓
IMG_0826_large.JPG

edit 2: dang, this one is actually in AL... THERE ARE MULTIPLE CHRISTMAS AND KNIVES STORES

You can just tell that this is owned by some bickering couple who compromised years ago
A clever way to plug your Christmas and knife store, you sly rascal.

The funny thing about Cain fans like you is that you still believe he's the same fighter of 2013. Guess what.. he's not. We've no idea how good and dangerous 2018 Cain Velasquez is. In the last 4 years he hasn't won a single fight so we can measure it, because Travis Browne since training with Tarvedyan is one of the worst fighters in HW, he's not even top 15 anymore, on 4 or 5 lose streak, so Cain beating him doesn't mean shit.

Not even a Cain fan, just stating the truth. Unless Cain is equally as faded he wrecks the current version of Werdum.

Not even a Cain fan, just stating the truth. Unless Cain is equally as faded he wrecks the current version of Werdum.
We don't know if he's faded or not, that's my point. He could be in a even worse state than Werdum to be honest, he's been out for 2 years and had many injuries.

This is a really good self assessment that Sherdoggers were dismiss as "excuses" even though he's just highlighting where and what went wrong

”Not taking anything away from Volkov, he fought and and defended well on the ground, but I think that patience was my worst enemy in this fight,” Werdum told MMA Fighting. “If I had more patience, I think the fight would have been different. I came back up trading punches with him right away, and I don’t think that was necessary. Breathe a little more. But that’s easy to say after the fight, but in there I’m the one that is feeling it.

”I imposed my rhythm for three rounds, and I think I won the first three rounds, but I needed to breathe more,” he continued. “Like when you’re playing on PlayStation and your energy goes down and then goes back up again. I got back up and my energy was too low to trade punches like that. Again, not taking anything away from Volkov.”

”Another thing that disturbed me was my eye, he hit me with an elbow in the first round and that bothered me,” Werdum said. “In the third round, he hit me and opened a cut right below my eye, and I was going on autopilot. That blow affected my performance a lot, and that’s Volkov’s merit.

“That half-guard technique is something I do that surprises a lot of people because they are not used to that in MMA, and it’s natural for me,” Werdum said. “Every time I did that I was able to sweep him, and I even took his back.”

”I went for the armbar, something I always do, but I watched the fight later and realized that my leg was not in the right place,” Werdum said. “I had taken a lot of punches and was bleeding a lot, so that didn’t help me. I thought I had both hooks in, but one of my legs was under his body, the hook wasn’t in, so I lost pressure on the armbar so that’s why he escaped so well.

”I didn’t realize during the fight that I didn’t have both hooks in. I took the risk and tried to submit him, I could have stayed a little longer there. Like I said, patience was my worst enemy in this fight.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
I can see this as he said.
But I still didn't like him in that fight.
He was not the same Werdum that became the champion... he looked bad.

He beat Browne easier then Werdum did lol, and that was off of a layoff as you know. TKO 1st round, Werdum won a unimpressive decision

He beat Browne easier then Werdum did lol, and that was off of a layoff as you know. TKO 1st round, Werdum won a unimpressive decision
That doesn't mean shit, they have very different styles. Looking good against Travis Browne means nothing today.

Back