Fabricio Werdum on loss against Alexander Volkov: patience was my worst enemy.

Still waiting for my Werdum shoop thread....

Patience was Volkov's best friend in this fight.

He patiently defended on the ground and brought it back up where he had the advantage. Plus he had the cardio to last 4 (probably 5) rounds.

Volkov is a slow starter and a bit of a plodder but his patience, composure and perseverance is what wins him the fights. Chin too.
I was impressed with that too. His composure is amazing. Just like he's going for a stroll in the park.

I was impressed with that too. His composure is amazing. Just like he's going for a stroll in the park.
Dat Russian cool.

fedor_emelianenko.jpg

Not a Werdum fan, but yes that is when he gets caught. When things dont go his way he tends to rush and blitz at his opponents. Stipe and Volkov did the same thing.

In other words.

He displayed very low fight IQ. Exactly like he did against Stipe. It sounds like a good self assessment. It’s not an excuse. But recognizing your own weaknesses doesn’t mean a whole lot. Unless you actually act on them and change them.

Varying from the gameplan is often not a good idea. Unless you’re thrown a curveball during the actual fight. And realizing your original gameplan will not work. It takes a smart and adaptable fighter to put it all together sometimes.

Being slow and old is your worst enemy.

This. Werdum looked really bad in that fight. Like a shadow of his former self. Hell, Volkov looked really bad too. How many times did he get taken down by that some slow as hell, telegraphed single leg with no setup what so ever? Any high level fighter with any semblance of takedown defense doesn't get taken down like that. If they do slip up and allow it once, they sure as hell don't fall for the same trick again.

Both are wrestleboxers, but i see your point and agree that Stipe hits harder.

Also you have to take into account that Werdum was sprinting towards Stipe face first and guard down therefore creating momentum for Stipes powerful short hook , which knocked him out like video game ragdoll physics.

Seems like a pretty good response to me. Not making any far out excuses, really.

He also gave credit to Volkov , which indicates he takes responsibility for his loss , excuses imply blaming something or someone that did something out of your control that made him lose.

Holy shit. Do you want to see Werdum die? If Cain comes back at 50% or better he crushes the shit out of that guy we saw fight Volkov this past weekend.

The fuck you talking about ? , did you see Werdum beat the shit out of Cain the last time they fought ? , it's like you're assuming Werdum hasn't got a shot in hell.

Last edited:
The fuck you talking about , did you see Werdum beat the shit out of Cain the last time they fought ? , it's like you're assuming Werdum hasn't got a shot in hell.

Yeah, I saw a Werdum who could actually move and showed reflexes and quickness beat Cain. But I watched an old, slow zombie who sort of looked like that guy in the cage this past weekend.

Werdum got old. It happens. Father Time is undefeated.

Last edited:
was impressed by volkov's defense on the ground as well. I think his length was giving werdum problems, looks like subs are harder when a guy is that long.

Seems like a pretty good response to me. Not making any far out excuses, really.

Same. It's actually a pretty good analysis from his point of view. He doesn't exactly admit poor cardio but is basically alluding to it and gave Volkov credit for causing a lot of it.

Conor's "I was simply inefficient with my energy" is the gold standard for excusing poor cardio.

Yeah, I saw a Werdum who could actually move and showed reflexes and quickness. But I watched an old, slow zombie who sort of looked like that guy in the cage this past weekend.

Werdum got old. It happens. Father Time is undefeated.

Yeah .... and with Cains history with injuries , do you think he's anymore mobile ?

Patience cost him the Stipe fight, this one was his shitty cardio
How did his cardio play any role in this fight?? He was totally ineffective on the ground and losing badly on the feet lol his eye was swollen after the first round and closed after three. His cardio had no bearing on the outcome

Back