Crime Explosions at Brussels airport and subway station, at least 35 dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from killing and torturing random people because of their religious beliefs, and blowing up public buildings at busy times of the day if they didn't get what they wanted, no. No comparison at all.
It's not so much religion, Catholics v Protestants, more ethnic Irish v English and politics, I.e. Reunify Ireland .

I have never once heard of someone wanting to "Make Ireland Catholic". Not even ONCE!!

So stop spreading ignorance. Their motivations were primarily geo-political and across ethnic lines. Religion was also a thin layer in there, too, but no way was it the main purpose.

Last edited:
secret negotiations were happening long before tony Blair.
There probably were many half-assed attempts at truces/ceasefires all throughout the Conservative governments of Thatcher and Major, but their attitude towards it was that, half-assed, "let's just ignore 'em"

The Blair government changed all that, took them seriously, invited the USA to negotiate too and had the good Friday agreements sewn up a year later.

It's not so much religion, Catholics v Protestants, more ethnic Irish v English and politics, I.e. Reunify Ireland .

I have never once heard of someone wanting to "Make Ireland Catholic". Not even once!

I haven't either. However, the IRA were a catholic seperatist organization whose activities included murdering random protestant civilians. Just like the Ulster Defense Association were a protestant loyalist organization whose activities included murdering random catholic civilians. A united Ireland was the main goal of the IRA, but it was very much about religion also.

I don't either. However, the IRA were a catholic seperatist organization whose activities included murdering random protestant civilians. Just like the Ulster Defense Association were a protestant loyalist organization whose activities included murdering random catholic civilians. A united Ireland was the main goal of the IRA, but it was very much about religion also.
I would argue religion was a thin layer of division. But, the main layers being ethnicity and politics.

Ethnicity and political viewpoint played a much larger role of division than what church you went to on a Sunday morning.

Good typical meat head rant, as usual supported with aggressive foul language and non-sensical assertions with zero logical back up, really all it does is support the thesis of big mouths goings hand in hand with puny little brains. "When you attack white people, you are attacking the world! Like, oh my God." "Like, it's not the third world, so it's like, so important." "Guilt got is into this mess!" "It's what's near and dear to us!" - like Kim Kardashian's ass and Kanye's hangnail.

LIke talking to a fifteen year old.

So let me get this straight. You turned a conversation about a terrorist attack were people got blown up into some conspiracy theory to further an agenda of colonialism and white supremacy and apparently I'm the one with zero logical support? You sound like any fucking Starbucks barista ever.

I haven't either. However, the IRA were a catholic seperatist organization whose activities included murdering random protestant civilians. Just like the Ulster Defense Association were a protestant loyalist organization whose activities included murdering random catholic civilians. A united Ireland was the main goal of the IRA, but it was very much about religion also.

I'm not going to deny that many many sectarian atrocitys were perpetrated by republicans but at no point were the officials, provisionals or INLA ever a catholic separatist organisation

I would argue religion was a thin layer of division. But, the main layers being ethnicity and politics.

Ethnicity and political viewpoint played a much larger role of division than what church you went to on a Sunday morning.

I'm not debating this, I agree it was a political stand-off that ignited an already volitile situation between two religious groups leading to the troubles in N.Ireland. I'm just not seeing how the IRA murdering random civilians for being protestant is any more reasonable than ISIS murdering random civilians for not being a bat-shit crazy muslim extremist.

I'm not going to deny that many many sectarian atrocitys were perpetrated by republicans but at no point were the officials, provisionals or INLA ever a catholic separatist organisation

Yeh, I got that mixed up. It's early in the morning.

I'm not debating this, I agree it was a political stand-off that ignited an already volitile situation between two religious groups leading to the troubles in N.Ireland. I'm just not seeing how the IRA murdering random civilians for being protestant is any more reasonable than ISIS murdering random civilians for not being a bat-shit crazy muslim extremist.
They weren't murdered for being Protestant.

To be sure, can we all agree that any organization that supports setting off bombs (nail or otherwise) in public spaces is composed of scum, and any who would claim affiliation with such a group as supports those actions should also be rightly called out for being scum?

To be sure, can we all agree that any organization that supports setting off bombs (nail or otherwise) in public spaces is composed of scum, and any who would claim affiliation with such a group as supports those actions should also be rightly called out for being scum?

You have been a part of SD this long and you think that people will agree to this, that's funny

You have been a part of SD this long and you think that people will agree to this, that's funny

I was more interested to see who would loudly argue against that and in defence of what group.

I was more interested to see who would loudly argue against that and in defence of what group.

Unless people are properly shamed from it now, give it time.

At least I assume that the provos will get some explicit support, they have gotten implicit

You make the IRA sound like really reasonable. They were scum and they set nail bombs off in crowded pubs and supermarkets. Our government did deal with terrorists (even though they said they never would) and set several murderers free from prison with no consequences.

The only difference is they were fighting another terrorist faction* and ISIS just seem to want to fight anyone and everyone.

*The UK was a protestant country then so the news was highly in favour of the Ulster Unionists and painted the IRA out to be the only terrorist faction.

That's a major fucking difference, isn't it.

IRA killed people in Ireland in the UK that they associated with the occupation of Ireland. You may or may not be on IRA's side but IRA's scope was very targeted and IRA didn't target civilians outside of the British Isles as far as I know.

Compare that with ISIS that targets anybody and has killed civilians of many nationalities and religions on 3 continents. Some in the name of Iraq's and Syria's occupation. Some in the name of religion. Many in the most gruesome and cruel way.

It does sound like you are comparing ISIS and IRA with that sentence. I doubt that it is what you meant. Otherwise you are just a nihilist that can't be helped and I really feel sorry for your messed up head and ignorance.

You may or may not be on IRA's side but IRA's scope was very targeted and IRA didn't target civilians outside of the British Isles as far as I know.

So, they targeted the civilians of the group they had decided they were going to violently oppose?

Sounds like the difference is one of scope and size of their 'enemy'.

That's a major fucking difference, isn't it.

IRA killed people in Ireland in the UK that they associated with the occupation of Ireland. You may or may not be on IRA's side but IRA's scope was very targeted and IRA didn't target civilians outside of the British Isles as far as I know.

Compare that with ISIS that targets anybody and has killed civilians of many nationalities and religions on 3 continents. Some in the name of Iraq's and Syria's occupation. Some in the name of religion. Many in the most gruesome and cruel way.

It does sound like you are comparing ISIS and IRA with that sentence. I doubt that it is what you meant. Otherwise you are just a nihilist that can't be helped and I really feel sorry for your messed up head and ignorance.

I think two terrorist organizations that bomb public locations and murder people because they disagree with their political/religious beliefs have similarities? Yeh there's no help for me, you're right.

Plenty of people might be able to say "The IRA weren't that bad, they had clear goals. Hey, at least they're not ISIS" but not me. It's not an unreasonable viewpoint, I just think it's based on sensationalism from the media due to current events. Every time a new 'ultimate evil without mercy or restraint' comes along, they're always more evil than the last.

Oh, I see. You are actually comparing ISIS with IRA.

Tell me, has the IRA killed any protestant outside of the British Isles ? Were protestant Swiss or Norwegians ever in danger of being blown up by the IRA ?

Mmmktxsbye.

In any ase, I award you the day's Golden Relativist. Great work.

P.s. : no need to mention the Crusades if you feel like justifying your miserable argumentation.

Oh, I see. You are actually comparing ISIS with IRA.

Tell me, has the IRA killed any protestant outside of the British Isles ? Were protestant Swiss or Norwegians ever in danger of being blown up by the IRA ?

Mmmktxsbye.

In any ase, I award you the day's Golden Relativist. Great work.

P.s. : no need to mention the Crusades if you feel like justifying your miserable argumentation.

When did I say the IRA killed more people? What the fuck do the crusades have to do with ISIS? You seem quite articulate but I think you're arguing with yourself because you're not reading my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back