Explain this to a non-fighter as I am: 171 vs 174 lbs

It has more to do with one fighter being dehydrated and another not.

I follow MMA a lot but I've never fought professionally or as an amateur, just a few scuffles in "da streets" as a teenager.

171 vs 174 is basically a 1.5 kg difference which, in normal life, is basically nothing if you are getting into a physical altercation with someone. Being 1.5 kg's or 3 pounds heavier realistically does not give you a serious weight and strenght advantage over your opponent, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying fighters should fight at whichever weight they want and, to me, making weight means being professional and respectful towards your opponent's efforts. It is also true that sometimes things just go wrong or you're not getting good technical advice, so the fighter is not always at fault.

What's your opinion on this, can a few pounds influence significantly the outcome of a professional fight or is it just about the fighter and maybe his team not being serious and professional enough, if not, at times, incompetent?

If you owe your friend $5 and you give him $4.50, that's just a dick move.

That has nothing to do with the point but true nonetheless.

In fighting, against the elite, every ounce is an advantage. In a plane where everyone is so highly conditioned and trained, the grasp for advantages are paramount. And for sure, three pound difference can be felt.

Can't be explained, has to be felt.

It’s the equivalent of having a third fist

Fighters lose their shit over weight cut disrespect because of what the fighter that made weight went through.

One more thing

This is a top level fight with two prime guys

This isn’t Hendrix washed up past prime lazy bs

This is high stakes so I’d be furious if I were wonderboy

Also I have no problem with weight cutting

If the fighters are stupid enough and insecure greedy turds that don’t have the guts to fight at natural weight let em suffer physically and financially.

It’s their choice

Even as a fan of Till, this is much.

The last 3 pounds are the hardest to cut and Till didnt do that whereas WB did.

I always see this viewpoint and don't understand it at all.

Does anyone really know if Wonderboy at 171 was more or less dehydrated or had a harder cut than Till at 174? No we dont

its not just 171 v 174

1. its the torture those last few pounds take in cutting and the effect it leaves on you. keeping the pounds on might not do much in themselves but you're body overall will perform much better not having to endure the grueling last cut.
2. its that Till is attempting to bounce back to some insane amount of 200 (guessing, maybe its more) whereas WB probably will fight at 180-190. so the 3 or so pounds at weight in will actually translate to a much bigger difference come fight time.

weighing in way more than your opponent when you step into the cage + feeling energized as well = too huge of an advantage to resist i suppose.

It’s also about the cost to the fighter to make weight....That 1.5 lbs cost a lot.

Anthony Tilllson... trying to fight at welterweight but should be at lightheavy

because its an extra 1.5 kg when he is dehydrated, how much of an advantage will it be once he is hydrated? Wonderboy walks around at about 185. Till walks around at over 200. If Till is able to put back on about 15/20lbs overnight he will have a major size advantage

Till will be limited to 188lbs at 1pm check in, fight is scheduled around 7hrs after, he could rehydrate some more during that time tho.

Till will be limited to 188lbs at 1pm check in, fight is scheduled around 7hrs after, he could rehydrate some more during that time tho.
Not enough time, it’s practically like a same day weigh in

It's a big difference because every pound you don't make on the scale can translate to several pounds of walk-around weight after you rehydrate. What it means is Till probably didn't even try to make weight very hard, while WB was dehydrating himself in a sauna and cutting. That alone is a big advantage because skipping the weight cut means you'll be fresher for the fight itself, and their walk-in weight will not be a 3lb difference, it will be more like WB is 185-190, and Till is 205+, thats a big difference.

This 100%, people need to wake up and understand the process.

TS missing the point.

the weight advantage is not a big deal. It's the fact that he didn't make himself suffer to get to 171lbs. He didn't dehydrate himself as much as he should have and thus he'll be a lot healthier going into the fight. So now Till will balloon all the way back up to 215 have a size advantage, and not to have cut 3 lbs of water weight (which could be the difference between getting KO'd by a punch and not KO'd by a punch because a hydrated brain can abosrb more impact)

Back