Epic Beer Thread V33: Rejoice, it's stout season!

Not sure it's my favorite but it's just about to hit shelves here after being gone for a few years and it's an absolutely fantastic Irish dry stout.
Stout-glsss-bottle-for-Stout-Page.png
LCBO or beer store?

When in Rome....

Decided to give Ballast Point another shot since I'm here and the only Big Boy beers at the bar were BP (Barmy and Tongue Buckler)

Both were horrible. I blame myself for TP since it is listed as an Imperial Red and I'm not a fan of Reds but the other was listed as an American Strong Ale which I tend to like and it was even worse.

I will never get the love for Ballast Point.

When in Rome....

Decided to give Ballast Point another shot since I'm here and the only Big Boy beers at the bar were BP (Barmy and Tongue Buckler)

Both were horrible. I blame myself for TP since it is listed as an Imperial Red and I'm not a fan of Reds but the other was listed as an American Strong Ale which I tend to like and it was even worse.

I will never get the love for Ballast Point.
They have a lot of great beers. Victory at Sea is amazing.

Just talked to some people and I have one lined up. I'll get it in the next few weeks and ship out a nice box for you.
You are the man. Whats your thoughts on that one?

Ive added to the one heading your way. Holidays have started early lol.

You are the man. Whats your thoughts on that one?

Ive added to the one heading your way. Holidays have started early lol.

Never had it. Traded both of my bottles away. I don't do fruited stouts. I just think the flavors clash more often than not. Of this last release though which included ManBearPig and Black Magick Rye, CCCBBVD was the brewer's favorite. Take that for what it's worth. You do know that Big Black Voodoo Daddy is the base for Grande Negro Voodoo Papi, right? Grande Negro Voodoo Papi = Big Black Voodoo Daddy in Spanish. Took me 3 years to figure that out.

Trying to help someone identify a DIPA from Mass that he tried this weekend but cant remember the name. Here's his description if anyone can help.

"Hey guys, a couple nights ago I worked an event and someone left a strange tall boy that I'd never seen before on a table, so I gladly gobbled it up after work. I'm having trouble figuring out the exact name, but I know the number 80 or 88 was displayed largely on the front. Also, it was a double IPA from Massachusetts. Any ideas? It was really good. Very juicy. I'm just really curious now."

Probably should have googled first lol. Already found it.

108252.jpg

Is Backwoods Bastard out? I haven't been drinking much at all lately but I need to get me some of that...

@Te Huna Matata any good beer spots you know of in Pittsburgh near Heinz field? I'll be there for the weekend when they play the Giants in a couple weeks. Maybe a place that has some good local stuff not heavily distro'd?

@Te Huna Matata any good beer spots you know of in Pittsburgh near Heinz field? I'll be there for the weekend when they play the Giants in a couple weeks. Maybe a place that has some good local stuff not heavily distro'd?

Depends on how mobile you are. The best selection in the area is at Giant Eagle Market District in the Shadyside neighborhood of the city. That is like 15 minutes from Heinz. Before I moved in March, that was my spot. The beer lead is a fellow beer geek and really goes through a lot of effort to curate it very well. Bierport in Lawrenceville is closer but not by too much. Nice selection.

As far as breweries go, Voodoo in Homestead, Brew Gentleman in Braddock, Roundabout in Lawrenceville, Dancing Gnome in Sharpsburg, and Insurrection in Heidelberg are the best options (I listed them in order from best down).

The stadium in on the North Shore which is kind of a dead zone for decent beer. If you want to find a nice selection, you'll need to travel a bit. Everything I listed should be within 25 minutes of the stadium though so it shouldn't be too hard to get to.

Cool thanks for the details. I didn't know Voodoo had a location close by, definitely hitting them up and probably a few others.

Cool thanks for the details. I didn't know Voodoo had a location close by, definitely hitting them up and probably a few others.

They have 3 locations. Their main one is in Meadville, PA. Then in January of 2015, they opened up the one in Homestead. Last month, they opened one in Erie as well. They obviously do great stouts but their hoppy stuff is coming along now as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back