Elon Musk - "You only need about 100 miles by 100 miles of solar panels to power the USA" (HNNNGGG)

Electric vehicles would reduce energy cost as they are about 3 times as efficient as gas vehicles, which expel most of their energy in heat not forward motion.

In my original analysis I made the mistake to think Elon was talking about 100 square miles not 100x100 miles (10,000 square miles). While he's still overly optimistic, by about 50%, at least he's in the ballpark.

It's still very impractical, imagine what something like that would cost to maintain? One worker per football field size array of solar panels would equate to about 10 million workers. I guess with robotics this may become feasible, but not for a while.

You are missing the point that a change to entirely electric cars will require much more electrical power than is currently being used.

I always wondered why we didn't have solar panels on top of every big box store and giant fucking warehouses everywhere.

That would seem to be a good idea as well as solar canopies over the huge parking lots. I've been watching the construction of the new stadium in Atlanta and it appears that most of that could have been covered with solar panels. The large sites also have large connections to the electrical grid.

You are missing the point that a change to entirely electric cars will require much more electrical power than is currently being used.
We should burn coal to make more electricity. That would solve the problem.

Wait, are there actually people in this thread who are against this? I could understand if he wanted to build this thing in your backyard. But otherwise, there is no reason to be against clean, solar energy.

What country are you in? I thought every country had the buyback option.

Mexico.
We have only one state-owned power company.
It would be ill advised from them to buy power generated by the very solar panels they're subsiding in the first place.

Mexico.
We have only one state-owned power company.
It would be ill advised from them to buy power generated by the very solar panels they're subsiding in the first place.

Doesn't everyone steal power in Mexico?

Wait, are there actually people in this thread who are against this? I could understand if he wanted to build this thing in your backyard. But otherwise, there is no reason to be against clean, solar energy.

I don't think there are people against it as there are those questioning how it could work. Power would be made and have to be transmitted to where it is used.

I don't think there are people against it as there are those questioning how it could work. Power would be made and have to be transmitted to where it is used.
Isn't that pretty much how it works now?

I guess there would be more loss the further you have to transfer it though and since the source in this case is one central location, far from where the power is going, they wouldn't be able to compensate for the energy loss during transfer, is that correct?

It can be done but politicians and people in power have things to consider.....

I like what they did in Korea , they put a Solar panel in there highway in the center lane, also serves as a bike lane since the panels act as a roof also for rain.

korea-bikelane.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

Isn't that pretty much how it works now?

I guess there would be more loss the further you have to transfer it though and since the source in this case is one central location, far from where the power is going, they wouldn't be able to compensate for the energy loss during transfer, is that correct?

The low voltage direct current has to be converted to high voltage alternating current for the most efficient transfer over long distances. There is energy loss at both conversions.

I like what they did in Korea , they put a Solar panel in there highway in the center lane, also serves as a bike lane since the panels act as a roof also for rain.

Those would get destroyed in a heartbeat here when some trucker on a cellphone runs into them.

Put lets spend our money on bringing coal jobs back and build a giant wall.

LMFAO @ world laughing at USa current state.

How do the bikers exit said bike lane?

Dude need to radically upgrade his security detail. His proposal has a serious global power shift implications, won't be surprised if attempt on his life are being made now or in the future.

Back