Elon Musk - "You only need about 100 miles by 100 miles of solar panels to power the USA" (HNNNGGG)

Yea its transformative alright. A large array can heat the air to over 900 degrees, frying birds midflight. Now imagine a 100 X 100 miles area heating the air over it to almost 1000 degrees. You mother fuckers with this green stuff are like mad scientists. This would be like putting a space heater on the earth.

That is one tech that combined solar and storage. It exists but is very very rarely used.

Not what he was proposing.

It would not happen like this anyways. You can get electricity maybe 200 km's before it starts to disperse. There are a ton of other problems as well.

Elon is no scientist, he is a salesman.
Also, the heat thing is only an issue with concentrated solar production. It's not really an issue with photo volataic

total-solar-panels-to-fulfill-electricity-demands-of-united-statesjpg.jpeg

That isn't 100X100 miles.

That is correct. That is a picture, ben

That is a picture, and the red square that is supposed to represent 100x100 miles isn't anything close to 100×100 miles.

It's closer to 25x25.

Let me lay down some geographical pipe bombs, using my state of Kansas as a reference, and its borders are clearly visable on the map.

"81,823 square miles of Kansas are land areas.
Water Area 459 square miles of Kansas are covered by water."

http://www.netstate.com/states/geography/ks_geography.htm

So, Kansas is 82,300 square miles. 10,000 square miles would be 12.1% of the entire state.

Or, if you want to estimate how large an accurate that'd be on the map, "Kansas is about 400 miles long and 210 miles wide." So using those approximations, its easy to make a base reference 100x100 land mass.

And it sure as fuck ain't close to the size of the red square in the OP's picture, that's for damn sure.

You're more wrong now than you were a few minutes ago, bun

mjl.gif

This, ladies and gentlemen of the warroom, is a fine example of pure zealotry.

I pointed out an error in the OP, Wang said I am incorrect. I prove it is an error using geographical facts for comparation to the errors posted in the OP.

Wang just replies "You're more wrong now than you were before." With no counter points whatsoever.

This is the kind of zealotry found in religions, and 'progressives,' that they believe themselves to be correct, and when they're proven wrong on ANYTHING and they don't have a response, they merely make a joke and believe themselves to be more correct than they were before.

mjl.gif

This, ladies and gentlemen of the warroom, is a fine example of pure zealotry.

I pointed out an error in the OP, Wang said I am incorrect. I prove it is an error using geographical facts for comparation to the errors posted in the OP.

Wang just replies "You're more wrong now than you were before." With no counter points whatsoever.

This is the kind of zealotry found in religions, and 'progressives,' that they believe themselves to be correct, and when they're proven wrong on ANYTHING and they don't have a response, they merely make a joke and believe themselves to be more correct than they were before.
Just give up and say that I win, berry!! You'll never win this

How many hundreds of miles of transmission lines do you need though?

The same number that you need for the current grid (approximately).

The bigger problem is storage and a mechanism of distribution (inverters and transformers). You need power on demand and unfortunately you don't get anything from wind or solar when there is no wind or at night, respectively.

The big gains in solar will be upping efficiency. The graph below shows conversion efficiencies >40% for some technologies but I don't think any commercial panel does better than 15%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell_efficiency#/media/File:PVeff(rev170414).jpg

If the American economy collapsed, goodnight sweet world.

Not only that, here is the sick joke of it. The bankers pulled the biggest scam in history in 1913 when they convinced the U.S. government to let them print all the money, with interest. We don't have to borrow money from anyone, or ever pay any interest. That is the most insane thing of all time that people never key in on for some reason. If you don't believe me go ahead and ask someone what the U.S. Treasury is for. The U.S. Treasury is for coining money. We can print what we need, with no interest, no debt, and we need never borrow a penny from anyone, ever.

Not only that, here is the sick joke of it. The bankers pulled the biggest scam in history in 1913 when they convinced the U.S. government to let them print all the money, with interest. We don't have to borrow money from anyone, or ever pay any interest. That is the most insane thing of all time that people never key in on for some reason. If you don't believe me go ahead and ask someone what the U.S. Treasury is for. The U.S. Treasury is for coining money. We can print what we need, with no interest, no debt, and we need never borrow a penny from anyone, ever.
Damn federal reserve!

Just give up and say that I win, berry!! You'll never win this

Ok, ok , ok... I'll let you off the hook on this one.

I see what you're doing, you've been proved wrong, you know you've been proved wrong, and you're playing it cute because you have a fragile ego.

I can respect that.

*Lifts you off the hook*

There ya go little fella, now run off an don't get caught on any hooks!

Ok, ok , ok... I'll let you off the hook on this one.

I see what you're doing, you've been proved wrong, you know you've been proved wrong, and you're playing it cute because you have a fragile ego.

I can respect that.

*Lifts you off the hook*

There ya go little fella, now run off an don't get caught on any hooks!
Thank, berry!

Back