Media Edwards doesn't want to fight in July

rstringer

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2023...rgets-abu-dhabi-october-welterweight-champion

Is this guy turning into a diva? First he doesn't want to fight Covington now he says July is too early ? TF? He fought in March that's like 4 months .

It's not how long you are champ Leon, it's how many times you defend the title.

Look at you now Leon , look at you now .
There was a 16 year gap between Rocky V and Rocky Balboa. Maybe Leon is in that phase of his Rocky career

I wouldn’t criticize him in this case.

But he has always been like that, which is why it took him so long to get a TS. Every time he would build any momentum he would shoot himself in the foot by declining a fight or saying something stupid that made him sound entitled.
I have a feeling that is his way of avoiding Colby hoping it's too long for the guy to be sitting out.

I have a feeling that is his way of avoiding Colby hoping it's too long for the guy to be sitting out.
Colby doesn’t deserve shit so he should decline to fight Colby.

Usman wasted two fights during his reign against Colby that now mean next to nothing because Colby refuses to prove himself against contenders.

4 months would be a quick turnaround. Some champs would do it, but I think fighting in October is fair.
How tf is that quick? Especially when you didn't take much damage?

You are supposed to defend 3 times a year if healthy, it's fair to all contenders and God forbid pays the bills too. It's a fucking diva move.

I get it. He doesn't want to do back to back camps. Hardly any champions do.

Of course, hardly any champions have their next contenders and the date uncle Dana wants them to fight picked out by the night you have your first defense.

UFC not exactly being subtle about wanting that belt off of Leon ASAP, but good on Rocky for not continuing to eat whatever shit they shovel at him.

It will be hilarious when he makes them wait til October for him to defend against Colby, and then beats him. They'll probably book his next opponent the night of then as well

You are supposed to defend 3 times a year if healthy, it's fair to all contenders and God forbid pays the bills too. It's a fucking diva move.

Wow...

Ignorant AND loud.

How many champions actually defend 3 times per year?

Not fucking many. The UFC can't afford to schedule them that often.

Colby doesn’t deserve shit so he should decline to fight Colby.

Usman wasted two fights during his reign against Colby that now mean next to nothing because Colby refuses to prove himself against contenders.
First of all Colby is number 2 contender and always puts up a hell of a fight , so I don't get your logic.

Secondly, if you are a true champ you fight anyone and if you think someone doesn't deserve the shot than your are implying that it's an easier fight for you , so you should take the easy money.

So and so doesn't deserve a title shot is the oldest duck in the book.

Wow...

Ignorant AND loud.

How many champions actually defend 3 times per year?

Not fucking many. The UFC can't afford to schedule them that often.
How many healthy ones don't fight 3 times a year ?

I get it. He doesn't want to do back to back camps. Hardly any champions do.

Of course, hardly any champions have their next contenders and the date uncle Dana wants them to fight picked out by the night you have your first defense.

UFC not exactly being subtle about wanting that belt off of Leon ASAP, but good on Rocky for not continuing to eat whatever shit they shovel at him.

It will be hilarious when he makes them wait til October for him to defend against Colby, and then beats him. They'll probably book his next opponent the night of then as well
I hope Colby waits until October and then fucks him up. Waiting 7 months when you are healthy is not fair to the division.

Not every champ is like Izzy. Most UFC champs in history don't fight with that quick of a turnaround

Understandable, Colby is a massive favourite in the match up. He’s hoping that Colby gets tired of waiting and he instead gets an easy win against Belal.

How many healthy ones don't fight 3 times a year ?
Literally all of them.

The only times a champion defended 3 times in a calendar year that I can recall is Kamaru Usman in 2021 and Max Holloway in 2019. Those are anomalies though, not the norm at all. I'm sure Izzy has done it now that I think on it as well.

Most champs defend once a year or at a push twice. Most non champions don't even fight 3 fights a year, and schedules usually slow down once they grab the belt.

Also nobody is obligated to fight 3 times a year in the UFC. It's quite the opposite. The UFC is legally obligated to OFFER 3 fights a year minimum to every fighter on the roster. The vast majority of fighters do not take 3 though.

Back