News Edson Barboza vs Lerone Murphy set for main event on May 18th

Who wins?

• Total voters
Not disagreeing with your point but you can also look at it as the Apex first started holding fights in 2020 and in early 2024 Edson will already have headlined 3 cards there.
U right u right

2 outta 7 of his matchups since the apex began, have been the main event. Sheesh, they need to chill out. People will get tired of him main eventing these apexes

Barboza among the most entertaining MMA fighters there's ever been.

A compelling matchup. If Barboza shocks us again by routing Murphy after Sodiq and Billy Q, I think he deserves some very generous matchmaking. After handing Murphy an L, maybe Giga, Emmett, perhaps even Yair?

Edit: Forgot he already got finished by Giga. What a depressing moment of recollection!

Last edited:
Didn't Murphy just lose to Gabriel Santos? I expect Murphy to win but eh, Barboza could pull off magic, dudes still super talented. Sometimes chins just hold up or shots don't land right.
Uhh... no? Murphy won the decision? It was a great fight though.

2 out of 29 of barboza's UFC fights have been an apex main event. They sure do love him for main events at the apex.....

EDIT: Silly me, using facts as some kind of proof of evidence in 2024
Must be the first time I see you being right about something, great job on that one

Thats a fun one, considering other Apex main events this is good.

Why is Lerone Murphy not on the same card as either Edwards or Tom Aspinall?

Three times in <3 calendar years for Barboza does seem like a trend.

I'll be cheering for the sounds like (County) Tyrone so presumably Irish (?) Lerone Murphy.

Fun Facts:
Murphy is 3-0 (2 decisions) vs Brazilians in the UFC
Barboza is 1-3 when headlining in the UFC; and 0-3 as the A-side.
He's also 4-0 (2 stoppages) in the UFC against opponents from the Commonwealth.

Does any of that matter?
Probably not.

Interesting facts though tbf sir.
I think Lerone actually won a decision here he'll wish he didn't lol.

Agreed
Lerone by decision is the most likely result IMO.

I don't think he's ready for this test even though I think he's talented as fuck.
I think Barbosa will beat his legs to death, but Lerone hits hard so it'll be a good scrap.

I've never understood the hype of Murphy but he certainly has been growing in skill throughout the years. He reminds me of a better version of Alexander Hernandez where he hides some lacking skills and fundamentals behind crazy athleticism and I think that should play right into Barboza's wheel house. I was high on Yusuff and he presented issues early with his slick footwork and heavy boxing but Barboza used his size, cardio and experience to batter Yusuff in return which wasn't expected but a good sign for these types of fights.

I don't think Murphey gasses and implodes like Yusuff did but I also don't think he has the tools to tag Barboza either. I'm expecting Barboza to go to work like he did against Shane Burgos for a decision win.

Lerone is bold for taking this fight. Anything can happen in mma, but my money’s on Edson.

Back