Edson Barbosa Thinks a Match Against Holloway for the BMF Belt Makes Sense

Holloway vs Barboza is a fun fantasy fight but you can't sit down and properly schedule it into the UFC's calendar or Max's plans. There's no world where Holloway beats Topuria and his next fight is vs Barboza for the BMF belt lol.
Lets see. Again, If Edson runs over Murphy, why not?

I'd rather see Holloway/Barboza than Holloway/Ortega 2. Or Holloway/Volk 4. Or Holloway/Yair 2.

My point is, it's a fresh matchup.

Because it would be a pointless fight. The odds would be insane. Barboza would lose to everyone who has ever competed for a BMF title. They would never make that fight and Barboza will never be in a position to earn it. Might as well ask why Jim Miller or Tony Ferguson isn't fighting for it.
Umm... Fucking Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz fought for the BMF. Are you confused for the BMF criteria? You just have to be a BMF. Not have a perfect record.

Umm... Fucking Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz fought for the BMF. Are you confused for the BMF criteria? You just have to be a BMF. Not have a perfect record.
They were both top 10 at the time, Masvidal was top 5. Both superstars at the highest point of their entire careers. Barboza isn't top 10 and much less popular. There's a 0 percent chance he would get a fight with Max.

Lets see. Again, If Edson runs over Murphy, why not?

I'd rather see Holloway/Barboza than Holloway/Ortega 2. Or Holloway/Volk 4. Or Holloway/Yair 2.

My point is, it's a fresh matchup.

I'm all for it. Not only is it a fresh matchup, it's a matchup between two of the most entertaining fighters on the roster.

Been big fans of both guys...love how they both bring it every single fight and willing to fight anyone.

I just don't think Edson has much of a chance to beat Max.

They were both top 10 at the time, Masvidal was top 5. Both superstars at the highest point of their entire careers. Barboza isn't top 10 and much less popular. There's a 0 percent chance he would get a fight with Max.
Good point. About the popularity. That is a factor.

Its not coincidence, it's relevance. All of the BMF contenders have been high level fighters who were not only fan favorites but relevant to their division, just not quite good enough to get the regular title. They aren't just going to put lower ranked fighters in there, especially not against Max. The fight has to make sense. Barboza has had a long, exciting career, but he's never gonna be in a position to fight for a BMF title. Might as well ask why Jim Miller, Tony Ferguson, or Cub Swanson aren't fighting for it.
Well Tony was a very high level fighter.

Barboza is a BMF for sure. One of the most awesome fighters in UFC history.

- Record holder for Fight of the Nights.
- Many of the most spectacular finishes you'll ever seen.
- Been consistently entertaining for 15 years now.

Like I said in the PBP thread. He should be considered MMA royalty at this point.

It makes zero sense but I would watch the hell out of it Barbosa has fought anyone and everyone and is always looking to finish or be finished. He’s absolutely a BMF

Didn't make sense the day before yesterday, doesn't make sense now. I like Barboza but no.

perhaps the ufc can create a fight night/prelim title for this undercard guys. kind of like wcws tv championship

This is what I thought the BMF Title originally was…

A way to put meaning behind a fight between 2 fan favorites who were fun to watch but not good enough to actually be considered serious title challengers.

Back