Edson Barbosa Thinks a Match Against Holloway for the BMF Belt Makes Sense

He was elite 2016 2017 and never again. So no. BMF belt is for contenders borderline champs.

As a fan of both guys, would be fun to watch , but man would Edson get his face boxed off. In fact I think max would win via tko or ko within 3 rounds. Edson would eat a lot of punches and wilt. Not a good match up for him at all. Even if he was still in his prime. For max it does nothing other than add another big name to his already long resume of big name fighters.

I absolutely would. Especially if you think Masvidal deserves to be on a 'BMF' level.
Edson Barboza lands a fatality on Terry Etim | Boxing fight, Mma boxing,  Fight club rules

Media - Edson Barboza KO Billy Quarantillo GIFS | Sherdog Forums | UFC, MMA  & Boxing Discussion
Masvidal fought for title twice and went on a crazy win streak to get there. Lets be honest his KO of Askren is what got him famous for the BMF.
Barboza absolutely is on that level, he beat Felder (twice, fuck the judges on the 2nd one), Pettis, Melendez, Dunham, Hooker, Dariush. He probably has more top 10 wins than Masvidal.
Decent wins but I don't see any names that make him a top guy. He never reached that top 5 level really.

IDK about this one... Barbosa is fun but he's not even at the "BMF" level. Would anyone put his name next to Nate, Masvidal, Poirier, Max, or Gaethje? I don't think I would.

Masvidal doesn't belong in that group of fighters.

Nate doesn't either, unless there a "fake gangster with cte" version of the BMF belt.

Masvidal fought for title twice and went on a crazy win streak to get there. Lets be honest his KO of Askren is what got him famous for the BMF.

Decent wins but I don't see any names that make him a top guy. He never reached that top 5 level really.
He had the Askren KO which is phenomenal but his win streak of Darren, Askren and Diaz isn't what I'd call crazy. Plus the diva-like behavior that came shortly after losing to Usman basically turned off every new fan he made. Now credit where credit's due, he definitely had all eyes on him but it was only for a minute. Edson also has wins over former champions Pettis and Melendez. I think Masvidal's most notable win is Askren or Diaz.

Masvidal doesn't belong in that group of fighters.

Nate doesn't either, unless there a "fake gangster with cte" version of the BMF belt.
I mean they are in there for popularity and fight style. Nate was the first guy to beat Conor.

He had the Askren KO which is phenomenal but his win streak of Darren, Askren and Diaz isn't what I'd call crazy. Plus the diva-like behavior that came shortly after losing to Usman basically turned off every new fan he made. Now credit where credit's due, he definitely had all eyes on him but it was only for a minute. Edson also has wins over former champions Pettis and Melendez. I think Masvidal's most notable win is Askren or Diaz.
It ruined the WW division for awhile too. Won't disagree. You have to admit the iron was hot when they put Masvidal in the BMF fight, something I don't see in Barboza right now even though he's on a decent streak.

Haha of Course Barboza would say that. $$$ for a meaningless belt. Probably a pay bump from whatever mid-tier pay he is getting. Would be a good scrap too. Why not?

Edson is a legend, still in incredible shape, and one of the greatest strikers in UFC history. Give it to him.

It ruined the WW division for awhile too. Won't disagree. You have to admit the iron was hot when they put Masvidal in the BMF fight, something I don't see in Barboza right now even though he's on a decent streak.
Yes, if we were to see Max vs Edson it will be cause Max requested it. Personally, the BMF belt seems to be more of a 'strikers' belt and little else. I think Edson would fit into that criterion easily.

Prime Barboza totally yes, today's Barboza totally no

Yes, if we were to see Max vs Edson it will be cause Max requested it. Personally, the BMF belt seems to be more of a 'strikers' belt and little else. I think Edson would fit into that criterion easily.
I agree it's mostly strikers and Barboza fits that bill with his highlight reel, but that's just to us mma nerds here. I think BMF has alot to do with marketability. All the guys who have challenged for it were high profile. Barboza has been pretty chinny though you have to admit compared to everyone else as well.

I agree it's mostly strikers and Barboza fits that bill with his highlight reel, but that's just to us mma nerds here. I think BMF has alot to do with marketability. All the guys who have challenged for it were high profile. Barboza has been pretty chinny though you have to admit compared to everyone else as well.
Marketability is preferable to what the UFC wants, I think for some fighters like Max, they will fight whoever wants a shot, marketability be damned. Edson is chinny so it could mean that the BMF belt could finally have a successful defense. Were the fight to happen, that is.

I don't know who Masvidal beat that's better than Barboza's top wins (I'm gonna say Pettis? Based on when he did it).
Jorge's best win is one of Cerrone, Nate Diaz and Till.

Marketability is preferable to what the UFC wants, I think for some fighters like Max, they will fight whoever wants a shot, marketability be damned. Edson is chinny so it could mean that the BMF belt could finally have a successful defense. Were the fight to happen, that is.
No offense to Barboza but I don't think it would be their first option. I would say Emmett at 145 against Max would happen before that.
I don't know who Masvidal beat that's better than Barboza's top wins (I'm gonna say Pettis? Based on when he did it).
Jorge's best win is one of Cerrone, Nate Diaz and Till.
Masvidal was freshly coming off a viral knockout, probably the most viral knockout of the UFC of all time when they put him in there. Also Masvidal came from the same street fight series as Kimbo so he always had a following. His record is sort of spotty, but idk it looked like he went from point fighter to this KO start all of a sudden in his career. Masvidal is the weakest case out of all the BMF combatants. Masvidal's best win was Till/Askren/Cowboy at the time.

This would definitely be a fun fight.
I'm a bit confused as to what Max's next fight will be.
Was under the impression that Gaethje was lined up for a title shot at 155.
Was also under the impression that Max was lined up for a shot at Ilia's belt.
IDK about this one... Barbosa is fun but he's not even at the "BMF" level. Would anyone put his name next to Nate, Masvidal, Poirier, Max, or Gaethje? I don't think I would.
Dude's always been a stand-n-banger who comes to fight hard.
Isn't that sort of the whole point of the BMF belt?
I don’t agree that the fight makes sense for either one, but it would be fucking dynamite and I wish we could see it.
This is the correct take for MMA fans, IMO^

This would definitely be a fun fight.
I'm a bit confused as to what Max's next fight will be.
Was under the impression that Gaethje was lined up for a title shot at 155.
Was also under the impression that Max was lined up for a shot at Ilia's belt.

Dude's always been a stand-n-banger who comes to fight hard.
Isn't that sort of the whole point of the BMF belt?

This is the correct take for MMA fans, IMO^
Like I was saying it's not his fight style that doesn't get him in the BMF fight, but his lack of top wins and hype.

No offense to Barboza but I don't think it would be their first option. I would say Emmett at 145 against Max would happen before that.
That's a fight I wouldn't mind seeing over Max/Edson. I think Josh has earned the right to fight another contender after his last performance but in the past he's mentioned Holloway before so if both were down then let it happen. Max by decision or late TKO is most likely but that chin won't last forever and you don't want to test it too much against Emmett.

Folks. Please, listen.
You have bought into this BMF b.s.
A meaningless belt.

How about;
Edson should fight Max?

If it doesn't make sense without "the belt", then it probably doesn't make sense with it.

Edson knows the BMF is a gimmick but he does deserve a big payday based on his history. This would be his way to it.

To avoid too much controversy, all I see is that UFC have found a niche way to manipulate more fights with this BMF business.

Like I was saying it's not his fight style that doesn't get him in the BMF fight, but his lack of top wins and hype.
Is that what the BMF belt is about?
Genuine question!

If so, then your argument makes sense to me.

Back