Edson Barbosa Thinks a Match Against Holloway for the BMF Belt Makes Sense

Barbaso does not have the heart for it. He is a good fighter and puts on great shows but he wilts too easily and would fold to Max’s pressure and aggression early on.
he just gutted it out vs Sodiq last time he fought, came back and won dominantly. Barbosa isnt helpless when pressured, he's gotten better at dealing with it. i do think Max would take him out by the 3rd or 4th round though, but it'd be a great fight while it lasted.

Barboza's not good enough to fight a BMF belt at this point. I don't see him cracking the top 10 again.
BMF was never about rankings. its about fighters who have exciting styles. thats why it was made for Jorge and Nate. if we're talking about sheer excitement, Barbosa is solidly in the upper echelon of fighters in that category. his highlight reel is straight out of an action movie.

IWhy not though? Edson is a BMF contender for sure.

Why not? For starters Holloway only fights 2, maybe 3 times a year if we're lucky at this point. He's got to be choosy with his options, he can't just be fighting anyone.

With a possible FW title shot or a rematch vs McGregor a possibility, a fight with Barbosa isn't worth his attention, strictly speaking from a business perspective.

“If one guy deserves to fight for the BMF title, it’s me,” Barboza told reporters on Wednesday at media day. “Who has better highlight knockouts than me? Bro, imagine. I love Max Holloway, he’s one of my favorite fighters ever. I love to watch him fight, and he’s a very nice guy, very family guy, but imagine a fight against him for the BMF belt.

“It’s going to be very, very good for me and him and the company. Like I said, I have 30 fights in the UFC. I think I deserve that. Of course, my focus is 100 percent on the next one, but I think it’s going to be good.”

Not a fight that came to mind, but having read what Barboza said, I wouldn’t be against the fight being made. Win or lose, Barboza usually puts on exciting, gritty fights which embody the fighter spirit.

Yay or nay?
No more bmf bullcrap!

Make it stop

BMF was never about rankings. its about fighters who have exciting styles. thats why it was made for Jorge and Nate. if we're talking about sheer excitement, Barbosa is solidly in the upper echelon of fighters in that category. his highlight reel is straight out of an action movie.

All of the BMF contenders have been top 5 except for Nate who was getting the superstar treatment. Barboza doesn't have that and won't win enough fights to ever be in that position.

Why not? For starters Holloway only fights 2, maybe 3 times a year if we're lucky at this point. He's got to be choosy with his options, he can't just be fighting anyone.

With a possible FW title shot or a rematch vs McGregor a possibility, a fight with Barbosa isn't worth his attention, strictly speaking from a business perspective.
But for the BMF? Why not brotha.

Of course it all depends on what happens in Edsons next fight. But yeah im thinking IF he wins impressively vs Murphy, he could totally challenge for the BMF belt. Wheter Max beats Topuria or not. They can still fight eachother.

I would award him because of kos that made it look like his opponent may never wake up

Please, no, I love Barbosa and I don’t wanna see him get gassed out and chin checked by Max. Barbosa is one of my favourite all-time fighters, but the worst type of opponent for him is a guy that can land many punches to his face.

<mma1>

I endorse a “No” on this matchuo

Not to take away any legacy or money from Barboza, but to save him from a merciless L

After Edson lands many kicks to those legs, Max will show no mercy

Wood watch tho

Because it would be a pointless fight. The odds would be insane. Barboza would lose to everyone who has ever competed for a BMF title. They would never make that fight and Barboza will never be in a position to earn it. Might as well ask why Jim Miller or Tony Ferguson isn't fighting for it.

Of course it all depends on what happens in Edsons next fight. But yeah im thinking IF he wins impressively vs Murphy, he could totally challenge for the BMF belt. Wheter Max beats Topuria or not. They can still fight eachother.

Holloway vs Barboza is a fun fantasy fight but you can't sit down and properly schedule it into the UFC's calendar or Max's plans. There's no world where Holloway beats Topuria and his next fight is vs Barboza for the BMF belt lol.

Barboza is (was?) an amazing fighter but the BMF thing is the last thing I would ever associate with him. He has amazing skills and amazing athleticism. But he struggles under pressure. He's like the opposite of the BMF thing lol.

And? It’s not like he performed better in his 20’s than now.
He was on a 10 fight win streak before he first tasted defeat and hasn't surpassed a 3 fight win streak since then. I think it's safe to say he has performed better when he was younger.

He was on a 10 fight win streak before he first tasted defeat and hasn't surpassed a 3 fight win streak since then. I think it's safe to say he has performed better when he was younger.
Lol, what a dumb logic. His first six fights were in regional promotions and his first 4 UFC opponents were barely UFC level themselves. Ever since he started fighting higher ranked guys, he’s been losing almost half of his fights

All of the BMF contenders have been top 5 except for Nate who was getting the superstar treatment. Barboza doesn't have that and won't win enough fights to ever be in that position.
i think thats more coincidence than anything. BMF was created specifically for fighters based on their fighting style, not necessarily for champion level fighters.
just so happens that Gaethje, Poirier and Max all have very exciting styles along with championship level credentials. we havent seen Aljo considered at all for the BMF belt, for instance.

i think thats more coincidence than anything. BMF was created specifically for fighters based on their fighting style, not necessarily for champion level fighters.
just so happens that Gaethje, Poirier and Max all have very exciting styles along with championship level credentials. we havent seen Aljo considered at all for the BMF belt, for instance.
Its not coincidence, it's relevance. All of the BMF contenders have been high level fighters who were not only fan favorites but relevant to their division, just not quite good enough to get the regular title. They aren't just going to put lower ranked fighters in there, especially not against Max. The fight has to make sense. Barboza has had a long, exciting career, but he's never gonna be in a position to fight for a BMF title. Might as well ask why Jim Miller, Tony Ferguson, or Cub Swanson aren't fighting for it.

Lol, what a dumb logic. His first six fights were in regional promotions and his first 4 UFC opponents were barely UFC level themselves. Ever since he started fighting higher ranked guys, he’s been losing almost half of his fights
Terry Etim, Ross Pearson and Njokuani weren't UFC level even though Etim was 5-1 when he fought Barboza, Pearson was 4-1 when he fought Barboza. You go ahead and think what you want, buddy.

Unfortunately, the BMF belt is reserved for bigger names than Edson, so I doubt they would give him a chance to fight for it.

barbosa is a fight night/prelim guy at this point in his career. save the bmf for fights people really want to see.

perhaps the ufc can create a fight night/prelim title for this undercard guys. kind of like wcws tv championship

Fight Night prelim guy that's main eventing tomorrow lol

Back