Eddie Alvarez thinks people shouldn’t judge over Pennington corner debacle

2004 account

For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill
@Silver
Reaction score
“A corner’s job is to protect the fighter, but a corner’s job is also — they’re like the pit stop,” Alvarez continued. “Like, when a car’s doing Indy 500, the car’s going to be worn down, the car’s going to be messed up, sh-t is going to break, sh-t is going to fly off. It’s those guys’ jobs at the pit stop to revive that car, to revive the spirit of that car and send it back out there on the road — but at all costs, send it back on the road...”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/5/...ge-it-raquel-pennington-amanda-nunes-mma-news

I think the reaction was a bit overboard by sjw’s all over - especially Luke Thomas and Ariel Helwani.

Thoughts ?

Sounds legit, I'd check Raquel's oil and send her back in

She said it herself that she agrees with what her coaches decided.

Let's move on

If you want the sport to become more mainstream, you can't have corners sending fighters who want out of the fight to receive more brain damage. It's a bad look: mainstream sports outlets will write columns calling MMA barbaric again. Has nothing to do with SJW this or that.

If she came out and said she’s cool with what happened, so am I.

<Fedor23>

Wonder if he'll still think the same after his corner sends him back to CTE land

Hindsight 20/20, it was probably best Pennington's corner sent her back to get finished

I absolutely agree with him. People love to get outraged and offended, even when the actual parties involved are not.

"I am upset, so it shows how good of a person I am" mentality is fucking annoying.

She is fine with it, her fiance is, so who else is there that matters?

“A corner’s job is to protect the fighter, but a corner’s job is also — they’re like the pit stop,” Alvarez continued. “Like, when a car’s doing Indy 500, the car’s going to be worn down, the car’s going to be messed up, sh-t is going to break, sh-t is going to fly off. It’s those guys’ jobs at the pit stop to revive that car, to revive the spirit of that car and send it back out there on the road — but at all costs, send it back on the road...”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/5/...ge-it-raquel-pennington-amanda-nunes-mma-news

I think the reaction was a bit overboard by sjw’s all over - especially Luke Thomas and Ariel Helwani.

Thoughts ?

1275988751_amazing-crash.gif
Maybe we should've pulled the car?

She said that she was done and got melted after getting sent back out. It was fucking atrocious corner work.

If your fighter is saying that she's done after pretty much getting worked for three out of four rounds and her only career KO is against 40 year old Kim Couture, then the fight needs to end.

MMA cornering and officiating is terrible when it comes to non-competitive fights, and it's eventually going to lead to a serious injury on a high-profile card.

Fuck, we're lucky that Cain didn't kill JDS in their second and third fights, both of which should have been stopped after the third round.

Another example of horrible cornering was Weidman/Rockhold. Herb Dean was rightly criticized for not stopping the fight at the end of the third, but the fact that Serra and Longo let Weidman go back out there to take more punishment was clown shit that they never really got called out on.

I don't care how many fighters come out to support Pennington's corner. It's clear that the culture in MMA on this issue is terrible.

I'm sure they will all be okay with it,after her CTE scans come back positive.

There's been way worse damage done to male fighters and they kept going, people were only pissed cuz it's a girl. Big whoop. She's an adult who knew what she was getting into when she first stepped foot in the cage. And her corner didn't MAKE her do anything. If she really wanted out, she could tap or just tell the ref.

I absolutely agree with him. People love to get outraged and offended, even when the actual parties involved are not.

"I am upset, so it shows how good of a person I am" mentality is fucking annoying.

She is fine with it, her fiance is, so who else is there that matters?
Yea that’s virtue signaling I believe. The thing here is that many people have this sense of entitlement to judge harshly over something so subjective. Plus let’s be honest here, would there have been such a commotion if this had happened to a male mma fighter?

Coming from the guy who wouldn't 73?

<MaryseShutIt> I'm good on hearing his opinion.

Last edited:
There's been way worse damage done to male fighters and they kept going, people were only pissed cuz it's a girl. Big whoop. She's an adult who knew what she was getting into when she first stepped foot in the cage. And her corner didn't MAKE her do anything. If she really wanted out, she could tap or just tell the ref.
Couldn’t have said it better. This is the legally correct response lol

If you want the sport to become more mainstream, you can't have corners sending fighters who want out of the fight to receive more brain damage. It's a bad look: mainstream sports outlets will write columns calling MMA barbaric again. Has nothing to do with SJW this or that.

Many fighters tell their corners to not call the fight under any circumstances regardless of what they say between rounds

This isn't 1993 anymore. Stop being afraid of MMA being banned from cable.

a pit stop...

hmmm...

in that case, the corner should be ready with a nitrous mask, adrenaline syringes, and a few alpha brain caps between rounds

maybe a nice Labrador puppy to hold

Back