Eddie Alvarez thinks people shouldn’t judge over Pennington corner debacle

She said that she was done and got melted after getting sent back out. It was fucking atrocious corner work.

If your fighter is saying that she's done after pretty much getting worked for three out of four rounds and her only career KO is against 40 year old Kim Couture, then the fight needs to end.

MMA cornering and officiating is terrible when it comes to non-competitive fights, and it's eventually going to lead to a serious injury on a high-profile card.

Fuck, we're lucky that Cain didn't kill JDS in their second and third fights, both of which should have been stopped after the third round.

Another example of horrible cornering was Weidman/Rockhold. Herb Dean was rightly criticized for not stopping the fight at the end of the third, but the fact that Serra and Longo let Weidman go back out there to take more punishment was clown shit that they never really got called out on.

I don't care how many fighters come out to support Pennington's corner. It's clear that the culture in MMA on this issue is terrible.

Same with Cerrone's coaches after Masvidal fucked him up and had him seeing stars before the end of the round.

If you want the sport to become more mainstream, you can't have corners sending fighters who want out of the fight to receive more brain damage. It's a bad look: mainstream sports outlets will write columns calling MMA barbaric again. Has nothing to do with SJW this or that.
Why would we want it to become more mainstream?

Yea that’s virtue signaling I believe. The thing here is that many people have this sense of entitlement to judge harshly over something so subjective. Plus let’s be honest here, would there have been such a commotion if this had happened to a male mma fighter?
I didn't know there was a phrase for it. Virtue signaling is fucking perfect. Added to the lexicon lol

Eh, the car analogy is a bad one. You keep pushing a car as hard as you can until it dies, then you get a new one. There's no reason not to; it's a fucking car. I probably shouldn't have to explain why this wouldn't apply to a person.

This isn't 1993 anymore. Stop being afraid of MMA being banned from cable.

Don't think it's gonna be banned from cable. It's just not a good look no matter how you slice it. Nice hyperbole though.

Say it to Big John's face
I don’t believe Big John would get triggered over someone’s opinion. A big portion of the mma community actually back the cornermans actions.

“A corner’s job is to protect the fighter, but a corner’s job is also — they’re like the pit stop,” Alvarez continued. “Like, when a car’s doing Indy 500, the car’s going to be worn down, the car’s going to be messed up, sh-t is going to break, sh-t is going to fly off. It’s those guys’ jobs at the pit stop to revive that car, to revive the spirit of that car and send it back out there on the road — but at all costs, send it back on the road...”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/5/...ge-it-raquel-pennington-amanda-nunes-mma-news

I think the reaction was a bit overboard by sjw’s all over - especially Luke Thomas and Ariel Helwani.

Thoughts ?

Well, He's a pro fighter so I respect his opinion even if I don't agree. And at the end of the day, Pennington can just sack the guys if she did not agree with their call.

But I think the pit stop analogy is a poor one. Metal can be repaired and replaced more easy than our bodies. Secondly, if the crew could not repair the car to the point that the driver could safely conduct business, no way they would let it go out.

Fighters, the tough ones especially, want to go back out even when they have no shitting business doing so. Corners are supposed to be the ones looking objectively and making the best overall decision for the fighter, taking their short and long term health and safety into account as well as the potential outcome.

In my opinion, most corners are far too slow to throw in the towell. This was just a more obvious instance due to the conversation.

I absolutely agree with him. People love to get outraged and offended, even when the actual parties involved are not.

"I am upset, so it shows how good of a person I am" mentality is fucking annoying.

She is fine with it, her fiance is, so who else is there that matters?
So if they weren't fine with it, would the corner have been wrong?

There might be a problem if you have to decide whether it's right or wrong based on a postmortem. I think that is where this conversation is important. And I'm not upset about it what happened. It's an interesting topic.

She said it herself that she agrees with what her coaches decided.

Let's move on
what's she supposed say?

"ya my corner's fucken retarded to let me go out there when i clearly was done and told them that!"

she HAS to give that response post fight.

she was done, stop the fight.
but that's just me.
but she can't throw them under the bus!

but your right about lets move on. it's over with, we could argue all day on this

what's she supposed say?

"ya my corner's fucken retarded to let me go out there when i clearly was done and told then that?"

but that's just me.

but your right about lets move on. it's over with, we could argue all day on this
No she didn’t have to respond that way. Did JJ after her first loss to Rose?

Agree. They're fighting FFS. If you can't be bolstered by your corner who is there for you? The corner is there for more than just protecting the fighter. It isn't a simple as that.

This is stupid, lets compare a human life to a car.. lol

Fighters choose to ignore corner advice all the time.

Nobody could force Raquel to fight if she was really done and wanted no more.

And let's be honest, nobody really cares about Pennington, if she dies she dies.

This is a thing just because media wants a story and people want to put their names out there.

You're the one that was spazzing out first. So I responded back in hyperbole.

Spazzing out? So have the MMA media and general media come out in favour of the corner or against? The dominant media sentiment, for good or bad, is that this was a bad look whether it was the MMA media or the mainstream. It's not up for debate, only the effect is... But not a good look for a sport still trying to shake the "barbaric" description.

what's she supposed say?

"ya my corner's fucken retarded to let me go out there when i clearly was done and told them that!"

but that's just me.

Or shockingly, maybe she's telling the truth and she is okay with it.

Back