ECW/Attitude Era was the worst thing that happened to the wrestling buisness.

see i dont have AS much of a problem with strong style as i did with the ECW stuff. Because its still presented as not only serious, but also realistic in most cases. However i do have a problem again with the selling and the moves they chose to do.

I recently watched the omega-okada matches that meltzer was pissing his pants about and to me it got to the point where they we hitting each other with moves that no one could get up from. Full knees to the face etc. compare that to a legitimate 5 star match in bret-austin where it looked like a realistic fight all the way and its just not in that league

I never take much notice of the dirt sheet guys and their ratings since their opinion is as valid as yours or mine. I've heard that Brock Vs Goldberg isn't as good as some technical masterclass in Japan. It's one of my favourite ever matches, two larger than life superstars going at it and it felt like it could end at any time so I had to put the phone and laptop away to watch.

The crap television they put out in later years when there was so much competition for casual fans who would rather watch something better with their free time is more to blame for wrestling being less popular than the attitude era in my opinion. Some kids will grow up oblivious to it and think wrestling sucks based on how it is now without caring about the past. I'm optimistic that a good period might come again soon when a wrestler with the IT factor comes along.

yeah ECW had guys who couldn't work

Shane Douglas
Chris Candido
Sabu
Lance Storm
Al Snow
Justin Credible
Bam Bam Bigelow
Rob Van Dam
2 Cold Scorpio
Jerry Lynn
Masato Tanaka
Terry Funk
Mike Awesome
Super Crazy
Cactus Jack
Raven
Taz
Stevie Richards
Jinsei Shinzaki
C.W. Anderson

Let's not forget ECW also used
Chris Jericho (who won the tv title)
Eddie Guerrero
Rey Mysterio Jr
Juventud Guerra
Chris Benoit
Cactus Jack
Hayabusa

Just remember the boys in ECW couldn't work.

Notice I left out Sandman And Tommy Dreamer because those guys were both shit in the ring.

Last edited:
The finisher thing to me is especially annoying. It really started with the undertaker shawn michaels match at Wrestlemania 25. Thats really where that came from. Great match but not 5 stars for me. To many finishers.

I am a huge fan of New Japan Pro Wrestling but in the recent 60 minute draw between Omega-Okada that Melzter pissed his pants about he gave it 6 stars. I had it at 4 and a half. Why? BECAUSE THEY LITERALLY HIT LIKE 10 FINISHERS ON EACH OTHER.

For those who have seen it seriously how many fuckin knee strikes did Omega hit Okada with? 10? Its a problem that really started with taker and shawn. I get it they went an hour. But guess what when Steamboat and Flair went an hour Ric didn't put him in 10 Figure Fours. Just saying

I saw it also in a recent WWE match from the Rumble between AJ and Cena. Literally 3 finisher kickouts each! unacceptable.
A finisher is like a submission finish now. Sharpshooter, crossface needed to be applied 2 or 3 times before their opponent tapped.

Back