Dumbell Squat, curl and press. Technique Q.

HIMBOB

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
So for years I have been doing an exercise I haven't seen anyone else do and I am wondering why not.

Start seated with a dumbell hanging on either side, stand up, then curl (hammer grip) up to shoulders and then without twisting the dumbell press over head (still hammer grip, ie dumbells parrarlell not inline). And then reverse everything till you are seated again(or arse touch the seat really).

Its been fine, it works for me I am just wondering on your thoughts about:

A: why no one else seems to do or at least recommend it (not that they discourage it)
B: why very very few people do the curl and press section in hammer grip, almost all instructionals show bicep curl and a twist

Its not a heavy weight, currently using about 12kg per side (26pounds). Am I building in some imbalance but have been fien as I don't go heavy?

I do it as part of a home routine I am doing to get a bit fitter, its this 8*4, one arm bent dumbell rows 15*4 and 3km on a cross trainer all said and done in under 30 mins.

FYI, yes I searched but if there is a good answer please link me up.

Thanks,

Becauseb why would you squat, press and curl with the same weight.

the curl press is a fine movement. heavy weight, standing, body language and amrap.

Becauseb why would you squat, press and curl with the same weight.

Beause this is quick and you couldn't be arsed changing the weights around.

If thats the only reason why not, cool.

Your curling weight is your squatting weight? This is how you get to be known in the gym by names like "lightbulb" and "wheelchair athlete."

Your curling weight is your squatting weight? This is how you get to be known in the gym by names like "lightbulb" and "wheelchair athlete."

I can barely get enough time to go and do BJJ or Muay Thia classes which I really enjoy.

The only reason I am doing this is because my fighting weight was 70kg and at New Years I hit 94.1kg.
Thus far I have lost 5.6 Kgs, 80 was the original goal but I think 85 will be good enough.

Lmao I'm gonna use this

I can barely get enough time to go and do BJJ or Muay Thia classes which I really enjoy.

The only reason I am doing this is because my fighting weight was 70kg and at New Years I hit 94.1kg.
Thus far I have lost 5.6 Kgs, 80 was the original goal but I think 85 will be good enough.
Having a weight loss goal isn't really a valid reason to do pointless exercises.

Having a weight loss goal isn't really a valid reason to do pointless exercises.

So I am not buring calories while doing this?
Not lightly strengthening the injured knee that caused me to put on weight?

This is surprising to hear. Can you explain further?

So for years I have been doing an exercise I haven't seen anyone else do and I am wondering why not.

Start seated with a dumbell hanging on either side, stand up, then curl (hammer grip) up to shoulders and then without twisting the dumbell press over head (still hammer grip, ie dumbells parrarlell not inline). And then reverse everything till you are seated again(or arse touch the seat really).

Its been fine, it works for me I am just wondering on your thoughts about:

A: why no one else seems to do or at least recommend it (not that they discourage it)
B: why very very few people do the curl and press section in hammer grip, almost all instructionals show bicep curl and a twist

Its not a heavy weight, currently using about 12kg per side (26pounds). Am I building in some imbalance but have been fien as I don't go heavy?

I do it as part of a home routine I am doing to get a bit fitter, its this 8*4, one arm bent dumbell rows 15*4 and 3km on a cross trainer all said and done in under 30 mins.

FYI, yes I searched but if there is a good answer please link me up.

Thanks,

I actually have seen and done a similar "exercise complex(?)" but with a barbell. It was essentially a slowed down, meticulous, clean and jerk. That said, I'd just clean and jerk with a barbell or kettle bells. You'll end up getting more out of what you are doing.

I do something sort of like that with kettlebells.

I take 2 24kg kbs, clean them both, press them then do overhead squat. Those are cool.

The thing you are talking about sounds dumb with the sitting and all.

So I am not buring calories while doing this?
Not lightly strengthening the injured knee that caused me to put on weight?

This is surprising to hear. Can you explain further?
You're burning calories while you sleep. It's not an injured knee that causes you to put on weight, it's that you didn't adjust your caloric intake to your level of activity.

You didn't mention in your OP that you're coming back from an injury. Go ahead and start off with what you can do. But what you've found isn't endgame material. It's a stepping off point that you need to work through until you're ready to progress.

You want full mobility, strength and fitness. You'd be silly not to want that. Work with that goal in mind, even if you have to work around a knee and added weight. Discipline in your diet and a progressive approach to training (looking to lift heavier weights and to be capable of more movements) will take you there expeditiously.

Last edited:
Why not do Curl/press and after that set do box squats (if able after injury) ?
You can superset the two...

Also,a good reason not to neutral grip OHP is if you cant stabilize your scapulae properly or have AC joint issues. I have no idea if you can or can't or have these issues.

Well I did a workout yesterday with 100 DB hang squat clean thrusters.... it was dumb and hurt in new ways

Why not do Curl/press and after that set do box squats (if able after injury) ?
You can superset the two...

Also,a good reason not to neutral grip OHP is if you cant stabilize your scapulae properly or have AC joint issues. I have no idea if you can or can't or have these issues.

I could superset them but this is a fat burning activity with maybe some slight muscle gain as a side effect. If i am not going to change the weight is there any advantage of splitting them apart?

So to confirm you are saying its not a good idea if you have a shoulder injury, but it is unlikely to cause one?

I do something sort of like that with kettlebells.

I take 2 24kg kbs, clean them both, press them then do overhead squat. Those are cool.

The thing you are talking about sounds dumb with the sitting and all.

What's the difference? the seat is really just a depth marker like a box squat?
Honest question. I don't see the issue.

I could superset them but this is a fat burning activity with maybe some slight muscle gain as a side effect. If i am not going to change the weight is there any advantage of splitting them apart?

So to confirm you are saying its not a good idea if you have a shoulder injury, but it is unlikely to cause one?

If you are able to squat heavy or heavier, and your diet is in order, you will burn fat build some muscle and acquire strength. Win win. I do my curls in between my squat sets since they have impairment on any work for the glutes for the sloots.

I dont think it would cause an issue but if you have impingement issues, ac joint issues or problems stabilizing your scapulae a neutral ohp isnt desirable in these scenarios.

So i would split it up by supersetting personally. Moment youre done the curl and press squat/box squat, if able. I dont know the case on your knee so either get it cleared or if you know you can, squat.

My best "fat burning" sets involved high rep squats with my bodyweight on the bar. It can aid some conditioning and breeds mental toughness. Especially if you increase it weekly.

What's the difference? the seat is really just a depth marker like a box squat?
Honest question. I don't see the issue.

Well when I do an overhead squat I really go for depth, seems like sitting down would mess that up.

Back