Does Volk enter into that GSP-Jones-Fedor realm with a win at 284?

Yes ofc. I'm not gonna throw all the greats in the title tho but ya.

The generally agreed upon top 4 in MMA history is (interchangeably)

Jon Jones

Anderson Silva

GSP

Fedor

Does Volk get into that 5th spot with a win.

No Volk doesn't get into the 5th spot, I don't think he gets into the 6th spot either. Assuming Aldo and Mighty Mouse inhabit 5th and 6th but he might knock Khabib and DC down peg and jump in at 7th with a win over Makhachev. He's reaching that territory, only really a couple wins away from cementing it I'd say.

No Volk doesn't get into the 5th spot, I don't think he gets into the 6th spot either. Assuming Aldo and Mighty Mouse inhabit 5th and 6th but he might knock Khabib and DC down peg and jump in at 7th with a win over Makhachev. He's reaching that territory, only really a couple wins away from cementing it I'd say.

what’s ur top 10 ?

what’s ur top 10 ?

1. GSP
2. Jon Jones
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. Anderson Silva
5. Jose Aldo
6. Mighty Mouse
7. Khabib Nurmagomedov
8. Daniel Cormier

After 8 it gets tough because to me guys like Usman, Volk, Izzy, Stipe, Hughes etc haven't really done enough to distinguish themselves from each other. I'll say this, I personally think Jones and GSP are clear 1 and 2 but could be swapped depending. I think 3-6 could be mixed around too but are a clear step up from 7 and 8, 7 and 8 could be swapped too it's debatable between Cormier and Khabib. Volk with a win over Islam probably lands at 7th for me here.

1. GSP
2. Jon Jones
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. Anderson Silva
5. Jose Aldo
6. Mighty Mouse
7. Khabib Nurmagomedov
8. Daniel Cormier

After 8 it gets tough because to me guys like Usman, Volk, Izzy, Stipe, Hughes etc haven't really done enough to distinguish themselves from each other. I'll say this, I personally think Jones and GSP are clear 1 and 2 but could be swapped depending. I think 3-6 could be mixed around too but are a clear step up from 7 and 8, 7 and 8 could be swapped too it's debatable between Cormier and Khabib. Volk with a win over Islam probably lands at 7th for me here.

Volk is really close to that top tier , y’all be killing me with that Khabib shit when his best win is a BUM conor mcgregor

Max Holloway was the greatest featherweight in mma history, volk wiped him out 3 times IM NOT TRYNA HEAR THIS KHABIB SHIT

My opinion, yes. It would be one of the most impressive wins in mma history.

Volk is really close to that top tier , y’all be killing me with that Khabib shit when his best win is a BUM conor mcgregor

I think Khabibs best wins are RDA and Poirier, Khabib snapped both of their win streaks in their primes. Outside of that, Khabibs resume is definitely the thinnest but he was very dominant in performance and retired undefeated, to me its just a combination of things.

Or is it too soon?

Comparing legacies is always a sticky thing to do.

Sometimes a star is ascending but falls flat. (usman)

Or leaves before certain questions are answered. (Khabib)

But idk...

There's something different about this.

About what it means for him and his legacy.

It's always too soon

Until he loses... Then he was never any good.

Dude is a phenomena among Elite Champions.

if he somehow wins this he`d be a feared man

I think it puts him in Kabib territory.

Still a ways to get to GSP/Jones (if you don't count PEDs).

If he wins this and gets 6 more title defenses at 145 or 155 then yeah he's the GOAT. Seems unlikely as he's already 34.

Not even close to GSP, imo. Beating 3 guys, and winning a second belt doesn’t compare. Jones isn’t even up for consideration in my book. Ped busts disqualify any fighter for me.

Defend your title against the next guy in line 10 times in a row. And get a second belt. And then Alex will be right there.

I can’t even consider him as being comparable, or even in the discussion with only 4 defences against 3 different guys.

The UFC flavour of the month is NOT a GOAT. No matter what Dana, Rogan, and DC say.

Woodley, Usman, Max, Alex.. All of them have been called the divisional GOAT. Time has proven that 3 of them are forever omitted from any GOAT discussions. And the other guy still has a lot of work to do.

I can understand the UFC hyping these guys as GOATs. But why does anybody in here do it?
Nobody really takes GSP's "second belt" seriously. He beat an old man with one eye.

Too boring and small to be in the GOAT discussion. I like him but he's in that Mighty Mouse/Cejudo wing where they are really solid fighters but missing the X/superstar factor.

Jones and Silva both popped and cheats can't be GOATs. The current list would be;

1. GSP
beat his older generation, his current generation and the following generation, then went up and took the MW strap

2. Fedor
Ruled Pride HW, mixed bag of competition though

3. Mighty Mouse
Destroyed his division

4. Cormier
Ran through HW, moved down, did the same in LHW and then took the HW strap

5. Volk
Majorly outclassing the rest of the FW division

If he beats Islam he enters top 10 P4P all-time imo

Probably around 8 or something

Islam is a new champ, with zero defenses. So a win won't catapult Alex majorly.

Always best to compare legacies once a fighter has retired. He still has some work to do. More defences, more humiliating wins over a variety of opponents with different styles and strengths.

Fedor lol

Dude I don't get it either. lol.
when ppl put him on a pedestal they are counting Zuluzinho and Heath Herring as legit threats.
I swear it is one of the most casual takes from hardcore fans out there that he is a goat.

Hes got all the tools to get there.
Needs something special like champ champ status and longevity as champ.

Gsp and Jones are that level because of the longevity, volks got a ways to go yet.
That being said, I believe we'll be talking about him the same way when his career is done.

Back