• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Does Volk enter into that GSP-Jones-Fedor realm with a win at 284?

Istryker

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Or is it too soon?

Comparing legacies is always a sticky thing to do.

Sometimes a star is ascending but falls flat. (usman)

Or leaves before certain questions are answered. (Khabib)

But idk...

There's something different about this.

About what it means for him and his legacy.

He enters in the champ champ tier ( conor , cejudo, dc , nunes)

Tier 2, hell be there for at least 4 more defences at least

How is that the case if Max himself is tier 2, and got the crap kicked out of him a bajillion times by Volk

He will enter the realm of Dungeons and Dragons because it is just a fantasy . He isn’t beating or even hurting Islam.

He may deserve to be in that star status, but I doubt his legacy will be as loved or hated as the elite 3 mentioned.

Not even close to GSP, imo. Beating 3 guys, and winning a second belt doesn’t compare. Jones isn’t even up for consideration in my book. Ped busts disqualify any fighter for me.

Defend your title against the next guy in line 10 times in a row. And get a second belt. And then Alex will be right there.

I can’t even consider him as being comparable, or even in the discussion with only 4 defences against 3 different guys.

The UFC flavour of the month is NOT a GOAT. No matter what Dana, Rogan, and DC say.

Woodley, Usman, Max, Alex.. All of them have been called the divisional GOAT. Time has proven that 3 of them are forever omitted from any GOAT discussions. And the other guy still has a lot of work to do.

I can understand the UFC hyping these guys as GOATs. But why does anybody in here do it?

Fedor's not there, the man never even beat a well rounded prime HW in his career. As for your question, I wouldn't have a problem with this. I already put Volk as GOAT 145lber, he has some massive wins against all time greats.

It's just too bad that Mackaev just won the title and hasn't defended it yet. This win would have meant more with different circumstances for Volk and the opponent.

Or is it too soon?

Comparing legacies is always a sticky thing to do.

Sometimes a star is ascending but falls flat. (usman)

Or leaves before certain questions are answered. (Khabib)

But idk...

There's something different about this.

About what it means for him and his legacy.

Double champ, 24-1 and successfulyy moved up a weight class. Throw a defence in at LW or equal that 3 defence record and it's hard to argue.
Like Jones he has beaten all the previous champs available before him(Aldo and Max x3) and plenty of contenders. What hurts him is Islam not being a defending champ. If it was Charles he would have an excellent argument even though Islam appears to be better.

Fedor's not there, the man never even beat a well rounded prime HW in his career. As for your question, I wouldn't have a problem with this. I already put Volk as GOAT 145lber, he has some massive wins against all time greats.

It's just too bad that Mackaev just won the title and hasn't defended it yet. This win would have meant more with different circumstances for Volk and the opponent.

Name a well rounded HW in their prime? Currently the most well rounded HW is Gane and he lost to Francis Ngganou who is just a power puncher.
You really don't think the Fedor that was fighting during that 31-1 streak couldn't have outgrappled Gane who just nearly got knocked out by Tai?
That era of HW is still more well rounded than now to this day. Otherwise fighters like Werdum, Fedor, Arlovski and Overeem wouldn't be picking up wins 20+ years later.
We regularly have better athletes but much lesser skilled fighters as a whole.

Name a well rounded HW in their prime? Currently the most well rounded HW is Gane and he lost to Francis Ngganou who is just a power puncher.
You really don't think the Fedor that was fighting during that 31-1 streak couldn't have outgrappled Gane who just nearly got knocked out by Tai?
That era of HW is still more well rounded than now to this day. Otherwise fighters like Werdum, Fedor, Arlovski and Overeem wouldn't be picking up wins 20+ years later.
We regularly have better athletes but much lesser skilled fighters as a whole.

Off the top of my head, Fedor fought 4 well rounded opponents. Lost to all 4 of them by stoppage. 2 of them weren't even HW's. That explains his legacy. He's nowhere near the top 5 greatest pound for pound fighters ever.

He has a 12 fight winning streak if he wins it will be 13 which ties GSP, Khabib, Jon Jones, DJ. Next step up is Usman at 15, then Silva at 16. Not sure why Volk is so under-rated on here. Beating Islam who is on a 11 fight streak and in a weight class above should vault Volk up on the GOAT list. Anyone saying otherwise just has something against Volk. How many guys has Jones / GSP beat that were on long win streaks and a weight class above?

Not even close to GSP, imo. Beating 3 guys, and winning a second belt doesn’t compare. Jones isn’t even up for consideration in my book. Ped busts disqualify any fighter for me.

Defend your title against the next guy in line 10 times in a row. And get a second belt. And then Alex will be right there.

I can’t even consider him as being comparable, or even in the discussion with only 4 defences against 3 different guys.

The UFC flavour of the month is NOT a GOAT. No matter what Dana, Rogan, and DC say.

Woodley, Usman, Max, Alex.. All of them have been called the divisional GOAT. Time has proven that 3 of them are forever omitted from any GOAT discussions. And the other guy still has a lot of work to do.

I can understand the UFC hyping these guys as GOATs. But why does anybody in here do it?

Usman is not forever omitted from Goat status especially if he beats Leon and Khamzat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsalaanx
Back