Does stipe have a bit of an overated record

Th Fedor is Goat fans need this I guess..... Stipe beat best in cage during usada era.. Fedor won against fighters that were exposed once they had to do serious testing an fight in a cage. Stipe is beating breaks off the best in hw. DC is great though will be a great fight.

Doesnt everybody when you start picking them apart after a few years?

Stipe could be anything but not overrated. So many doping scandals at hw lhw and in the lower weight classes and he is one of the rare champions never caught on anything. Same physique from day one knocking out heavyweights from day one. Losses comes back stronger. Great fight IQ. Well rounded in the first part of his career turned a first round one punch KO beast lately after finishing so many guys. Cain was a legit champ but got outclassed by Werdum. Stipe shortly after destroyed Werdum. Not just the KO. Look at the whole fight. People say Werdum ran like crazy asking to get KO'd. He did that because his takedown attempts failed early and because Stipe was manhandling him in the stand up. He said he will be champ for as long he wants to stay in. I see him retiring as champ. Most probably picks apart and ends Cormier's career. Blaydes and Volkov are the only two guys that can give him trouble but I don't see them beating him in 2019. Would like to see him in a money fight with Lesnar because he deserves a payday after all.

Its spelt "Khabib" and the answer is a resounding yes obviously.

Junior would’ve lost the same way and probably glass jaw Reem too.
lol what the hell are you basing that on? Zombie JDS beat Stipe fair in square. He stuffed all his takedowns and even in his decline was winning most of the striking exchanges. It was a close fight but JDS explosiveness was gone, and he still won.

I love stipe. But looking at his record you could call it a bit overated. Werdum was a pretty good win however werdum brawling with his chin open was a bit weird. Overeem is Overeem who went for the sub instead of flat lining him with gnp. Junior was a old jds. And francis was the biggest hype train ever. I won 500 off stipe that fight. If he beats DC that is huge for me.

I wouldn't call Ngannue a hype job...the guy is legit, he's just very new and raw...he needs to fine tune some things...when he does, i can see him dominating...think of it this way...Ngannue was dead tired, yet still managed to go the distance with stipe...he was pretty much gassed after 2 rounds...if not 1. but still managed to keep going...with some time, some work and improved cardio, the guy can dominate.

Th Fedor is Goat fans need this I guess..... Stipe beat best in cage during usada era.. Fedor won against fighters that were exposed once they had to do serious testing an fight in a cage. .

I don't have a dog in this fight but you do realize that what your are basically saying is that Fedor fought a lot of guys that were harder to fight when he fought them? Huh? Huh? do you? Huh?

Last edited:
Stipe has 6 A level wins in a row(5 KO's). That's pretty damn good.

He got KO'd by Struve 6 years ago, he is a much better fighter now. Especially when channeling his inner ballerina.

18-2. 7 fight win streak. Clearly overrated.
I think TS was referring to strength of schedule. And IMO there's a good argument here. Also, I agree that beating D.C. will go a long way toward a UFC HW goat argument.

Also, props to TS for posing a question and not throwing out a definitive statement. So many threads are 100% confident in there (generally very debatable) opinion.

Only if your a Pride fan who still hasn't moved on in the 12 years since Pride folded.

Stipe is the UFC HW Goat, if he beats DC, Blaydes and a returning Cain, i am all for considering him the HW Goat
the ONLY heavyweight who can be considered to be on stipe's level

lost to dan henderson

a fucking. middleweight.

Stipe is the UFC HW Goat, if he beats DC, Blaydes and a returning Cain, i am all for considering him the HW Goat

If he does all of that then he is GOAT hands down. Though people will say that Blaydes was a bum and Cain way past his prime, guaranteed.

Context is vital. Got ktfo by struve at the end of the day. /QUOTE]

You admit that context is vital...then go on to say "got ktfo by Struve" without even a nod to the seas of context that fight has, from the "prospect loss" angle through to the everlovin' eyepoke.

lol what the hell are you basing that on? Zombie JDS beat Stipe fair in square. He stuffed all his takedowns and even in his decline was winning most of the striking exchanges. It was a close fight but JDS explosiveness was gone, and he still won.

Because he’s the same fighter today that he was back then and that’s the problem. Junior has been figured out. There was no difference with his skill whatsoever. Plus he was still on the juice when he fought Stipe the 2nd time. His explosiveness wasn’t gone in either fight. It’s just a little hard to show hat kind of thing when your opponent has you moving away at a very high pace the entire fight. When junior gets to fight at his pace in the Center he looks great. When he gets pushed back, he looks like shit every time. Junior losing to Stipe was not because he’s out of his prime, but because stipe knew exactly how to beat him, much like Cain and some others will eventually, too.

Context is vital. Got ktfo by struve at the end of the day. What he did to hunt impressed me so much. I think he could be the hw goat if he gets passed cormier
Yep, after an eye poke.

Because he’s the same fighter today that he was back then and that’s the problem. Junior has been figured out. There was no difference with his skill whatsoever. Plus he was still on the juice when he fought Stipe the 2nd time. His explosiveness wasn’t gone in either fight. It’s just a little hard to show hat kind of thing when your opponent has you moving away at a very high pace the entire fight. When junior gets to fight at his pace in the Center he looks great. When he gets pushed back, he looks like shit every time. Junior losing to Stipe was not because he’s out of his prime, but because stipe knew exactly how to beat him, much like Cain and some others will eventually, too.
Bruh I'm not even talking about the second fight,JDS was completely washed up by then. He was already being called "zombie JDS" the first time they fought. Cain was the only one who had beat him and Stipe tried to replicate the same strategy, but his wrestling was ineffective. If you couldn't see the difference in JDS in that fight, then you must not have watched JDS before that. JDS fought most of that fight backed against the cage and still was getting the better of Stipe and stuffing his takedowns. Whatever JDS had left was probably gone after that. He didn't look the same fighter, because even though Stipe lost a close decision he was still cracking him pretty good. In hindsight it probably was a good loss for Stipe, seeing as he has went full beastmode since that loss

Last edited:
I think it just demonstrates the nature of the heavyweight division. Any one of those guys he beat could come back and knock him out only to drop the belt in their very next fight.

I love stipe. But looking at his record you could call it a bit overated. Werdum was a pretty good win however werdum brawling with his chin open was a bit weird. Overeem is Overeem who went for the sub instead of flat lining him with gnp. Junior was a old jds. And francis was the biggest hype train ever. I won 500 off stipe that fight. If he beats DC that is huge for me.
It's very hard to make an argument against those legit gatekeepers who held the gate for all those years. It was a very long time man. Like you could trace the root of their dominance back to around UFC 100 or shortly there-after... all the same guys just kept bouncing everyone back... except when they would fight each other. Some of them were in & out... but it was always the same guys at the top... & for very good reason. There was about a handful of them who's only losses were to other gatekeepers while everyone else just bounced right back down from the gate. That's legit. So Stipe's wins against any of the gate keepers is very legit. Your arguments about Reem & JDS can't really be taken seriously. Those guys are hella legit.

personally, I've been on team Stipe since well before he got the title & I believed he would be here one day since before most people even noticed him. I pretty much dictated the Ngannou fight prior to it, but you cannot take that win away from Stipe... because it takes a special kind of person to do that to Ngannou... & to take the same shots from Ngannou that knock other people out. Ngannou is also a very special kind of person to have breached the gate.

Just because Stipe made it look "relatively" easy... doesn't mean others could do the same.

Last edited:
Bruh I'm not even talking about the second fight,JDS was completely washed up by then. He was already being called "zombie JDS" the first time they fought. Cain was the only one who had beat him and Stipe tried to replicate the same strategy, but his wrestling was ineffective. If you couldn't see the difference in JDS in that fight, then you must not have watched JDS before that. JDS fought most of that fight backed against the cage and still was getting the better of Stipe and stuffing his takedowns. Whatever JDS had left was probably gone after that. He didn't look the same fighter, because even though Stipe lost a close decision he was still cracking him pretty good. In hindsight it probably was a good loss for Stipe, seeing as he has went full beastmode since that loss

Junior was the same in the first fight as he was in the second fight is what I’m saying. Just like he was the same in the stipe fights as he was in all the Cain fights. That’s right - ALL the cain fights. Stipe tried a similar plan that Cain used and it proved again that it can work even though stipe lost. It was a very close fight and I honestly believe if stipe didn’t tire he would’ve won. Of course, it’s nit like he only slowed down as if he was dominating, but also the shots he was taking.

Stipe was too wrestling-heavy in the first fight and in the second he was more aggressive with his hands. He pushed Jr. back like everybody does and immediately attacked with combos. Junior has shown good head movement but with combos it’s hard to make every shot miss. Junior has shown to be susceptible against the fence in terms of striking defense. The main reason why is because he likes to drop his hands and do his best RJJ impression.

Junior still uses he same strikes he always did. He uses the exact same set ups and never really patched any holes in his game. Such as being pushed to the fence (failing to circle) and constantly dropping the hands, and seriously lacking in his ability to counter while moving backwards (understandable, it’s very, very hard to do). Jab, jab, overhand - jab, jab, uppercut - jab, straight right, - straight to body, left hook to head - are Juniors go-to set ups/attacks. Cain countered every single time with the right hand (‘pops special’), and Junior never showed anything new whatsoever since the Cain fights and every single fight he’s had since.

Stylistically, Stipe is a bad fight for junior. Junior has been figured out but I’m not saying everybody can and will beat him. He’s still top 5, still obliterates most of the division. Personally I’d like to see him fight Reem again. He was very tentative that night and Reem gives Junior exactly what he wants. Reem is not a pressure fighter. He likes the Center and a slower pace just like Junior does, junior respected his countering so much he just didn’t open up,though. If he was a little more aggressive, he probably would’ve caught Reem’s weak chin eventually.

I loveJunior, man. I always have, you say it’s ‘cause I haven’t seen many of his fights but the truth is I’ve seen them too much. Junior never evolved. He never changed at all skill wise. Physically you will only go downhill and Jr. is definitely feeling that, but look at Hendo - look at his longevity. It’s because he evolved to use what works In different eras. He also meber had to rely on speed. You lose your physical abilities first when you leave your prime (mostly speed), but He do adapted to that ad still did good. Junior can do the same. He just needs to change it up. He really really needs to work on his ability to counter while moving backwards.

Just imagine if Jr. had Conor level countering. Dude.. he’d be fucking champion right now. I mean no disrespect to Jr whatsoever when I say this.

Last edited:
Back