Does stipe have a bit of an overated record

I love stipe. But looking at his record you could call it a bit overated. Werdum was a pretty good win however werdum brawling with his chin open was a bit weird. Overeem is Overeem who went for the sub instead of flat lining him with gnp. Junior was a old jds. And francis was the biggest hype train ever. I won 500 off stipe that fight. If he beats DC that is huge for me.

I don’t think Stipe’s record is overrated at all. It’s not on par with Fedor or Noguiera’s resumés in regards to a goat discussion, but it’s pretty solid none the less. Stip has b level wins Arlovski-Hunt-Nelson-JDS2, and a level wins over Overeem-Werdum-Ngannou. He also has a good performance in an a level loss to JDS. Ngannou was worthy of freight train hype, too. Dude wrecked Arlovski, Overeem and Blaydes.

If Stipe wins this fight with DC, some people are going to say it’s because DC was too old or too damaged from the second Jones fight or DC wasn’t proven at heavyweight.

If Stipe wins this fight, it surely helps his record but make no mistake, Stipe’s record as it stands is really solid.

Last edited:
I love stipe. But looking at his record you could call it a bit overated. Werdum was a pretty good win however werdum brawling with his chin open was a bit weird. Overeem is Overeem who went for the sub instead of flat lining him with gnp. Junior was a old jds. And francis was the biggest hype train ever. I won 500 off stipe that fight. If he beats DC that is huge for me.
Agreed with all of this. He is overrated and if he beats DC it will be the biggest win of his career

Both Overeem and JDS would've given Stipe a far better fight in their respective primes, if not outright beaten him.

Overeem in his prime was juiced to the gills and smashing cans.

Stipe beats any version of him.

Stipe fought prime jds to a close decision loss their first go round.

Context is vital. Got ktfo by struve at the end of the day. What he did to hunt impressed me so much. I think he could be the hw goat if he gets passed cormier
Ktfo'd by struve.... Did you even see the fight?

We must have different opinions on what ktfo means.

Im not sure if he is overated he beat killers at 205 and hw but always thought him at hw was his best version. If there was a 225 weight class he would be goat right now

What 'killers' has DC beaten at 205? Lol. Crumble and Gus....that's about it.

DCs resume at 205 sucks outside of those two.

I feel like Stipe deserved the win over JDS in the first match especially considering how much Stipe battered JDS.

Werdum was a dangerous opponent. Hunt couldn't highlight reel walkoff KO Stipe. Neither could Francis.

I feel like Stipe deserved the win over JDS in the first match especially considering how much Stipe battered JDS.

Werdum was a dangerous opponent. Hunt couldn't highlight reel walkoff KO Stipe. Neither could Francis.
"I feel like Stipe deserved the win over JDS in the first match"

wtf2.gif

I mean... Stipe was already gassin´ at the end of the 3rd round... No way he took 3-4-5.

I guess we could have said he has an overrated record a few years ago. Personally, I thought the guy would be just another anonymous HW with a big right hand who wins some and loses some. Joey Beltran, Phil DeFries are not exactly big names at HW… although he won his fight against Del Rosario, I remember thinking that Del Rosario was winning that first round pretty convincingly.

Then there was the Struve fight, which he lost, looking a bit like a fish out of water against this high tower of a human being. At that point, I thought “Okay, so that’s a Christian Morecraft/Lavar Johnson caliber of fighter”, as I always found that Struve is sort of the gatekeeper in that division. If you beat him, that’s a nice win, if you lose to him, you’re in the lower tier of the division.

Stipe then went on to win three in a row, against other gatekeepers and a super undersized Fabio Maldonado who filled in for Stipe’s injured opponent at the very last minute (I don’t remember who it was supposed to be)…that led him to the first Dos Santos fight, in which he truly impressed me. That’s when I knew that Stipe was for real.

From there, his wins are legit : Arlovski was on a great roll when they found, and he broke his streak. Hunt is always a solid win, and boy was it brutal to watch. Winning the title against Werdum was also a nice win, although Werdum fought just the dumbest fight he could have. Overeem had him rocked and could have won that fight. The second Dos Santos fight, it felt like JDS isn’t the same fighter anymore. Then he derailed the Ngannou hype train, which is a super legit win also, especially now that we see how solid Curtis Blaydes is.

Stipe has paid his dues. He developed into a very solid fighter regardless of whether he once had an overrated record. It no longer is.

"I feel like Stipe deserved the win over JDS in the first match"

View attachment 396407

I mean... Stipe was already gassin´ at the end of the 3rd round... No way he took 3-4-5.
I only watched it once. Stipe could still beat the shit out of JDS while gassed. JDS's face was messed up and Stipe was unscathed BJ Penn style, I think, if I remember correctly.

What’s your thoughts on an ill conceived flying knee by arlovski? Does that invalidate how it’s capitalized on?

Kind of, yeah. I don't think we should completely disregard how fighters perform against each other when we take legacy into account. I haven't seen many heavyweights in MMA that would capitalize on that like Fedor did, though. Even if it seems like a really obvious counter in retrospect.

Werdum hasn't really been carrying himself well in the cage for some time now.

Kind of, yeah. I don't think we should completely disregard how fighters perform against each other when we take legacy into account. I haven't seen many heavyweights in MMA that would capitalize on that like Fedor did, though. Even if it seems like a really obvious counter in retrospect.

Werdum hasn't really been carrying himself well in the cage for some time now.
very few hw's could have executed what stipe did to knock out werdum the way he did. it was footwork, balance, timing and power. fedor was more likely to knock out aa the way he did and stipe was more likely to knock out werdum the way he did.

Back