Does Overeem even train

Cardio is as much a physical talent as anything else. Asking if he trains cardio is like asking if Hendo trains speed.

Training can only allow a fighter to achieve his fullest potential, but physical talent sets where that potential lies. Overeem's cardio has always been awful--it's just not something he's good at.

Also, overeem's cardio problems seem to get way worse when he's hit--probably a strong adrenaline response.

Reem does uphill sprint circuits etc. I dont know where people is getting that bs from that he doesn't train cardio.

In one of the Reem vids while in Dream, he got straight off the plan after landing in Japan to do uphill sprints. Theres clips of him jogging and doing other things also.

just for the video, bro

i have a hard time believing that. but josh would know better than most.

still would be ridiculous if true. especially when you can attribute overeems losing streak to his inability to go fifteen minutes.

It's actually not ridiculous. There are much better ways to train cardio than running, especially if you're carrying around 220+ pounds. Running is hell on your kees, back and ankles and the more you weigh the harder it is on them.

The only training Overeem does is curls.

Curls all day, everyday.

All that other stuff is just for the cameras. As soon as they shut off, he picks up the weights again.

StrikeforceHeavyweightChampAlistairOvereem2.jpg

busted

Also, overeem's cardio problems seem to get way worse when he's hit--probably a strong adrenaline response.

^this. Getting hit interferes with your breathing rhythm and with your mindset. Otherwise, marathon runners would dominate our sport with their cardio.............................

If he didn't do any cardio then he would gas after 60 seconds. See any of the early UFC's for proof of that. The fact that he lasts into the 2nd round means that yes, he does indeed train cardio.

There are plenty of things a HW can do for cardio besides distance running. All that would do is tear up their ankles and knees.

Biking, skipping rope, circuit training with weights, pad and bag work, swimming, sprinting, etc. Then add things like box jumps, tire flips, sledgehammer slams, ropes, etc

I doubt people want to see training videos of a fighter running. So they put all the weightlifting, battle rope, kettle bell, rock throwing or whatever the fuck in those videos.

As Rocky proved, running is awesome when done right. Fighters should spend more time running around Siberian mountains than lame ass gyms. And they should workout in Converse All Stars, a true people's shoes.

He just keeps trying to raise his power level without any strategy, thinking that's the secret to defeating the enemy.
He's making the same mistake Future Trunks did :icon_sad:

As Rocky proved, running is awesome when done right. Fighters should spend more time running around Siberian mountains than lame ass gyms. And they should workout in Converse All Stars, a true people's shoes.

I do believe you're selectively leaving out working on one's petticab-by-foot skills :rolleyes: - which would be perfect for Overeem as he'd get to work on his cardio, and chariot pulling strength simultaneously.

I competed as a HW wrestler and boxer and never once trained cardio in isolation. One: your cardio should come through sport specific training. And two: I'm not trying to batter my joints, ligaments, and tendons and accumulate additional unnecessary fatigue.

i have a hard time believing that. but josh would know better than most.

still would be ridiculous if true. especially when you can attribute overeems losing streak to his inability to go fifteen minutes.
It’s true. I mean, sure, there are heavyweights that run often, but they don’t run as much as lighter guys. Running isn’t very good training method when you are heavier since it’s harder for your joints (hips, knees, ankles). Many prefer swimming and some machines (elliptical, stair climb, air bike, rowing machine etc.).

<5>

Funny, bc that appears to be all he trains, today. Time is funny, that way.

Back