Does Demian Maia dislike side control in MMA? Why?

AW9000+

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Beginner BJJ question here. I've heard that there are more submissions possible in side control but when I watch Demian Maia's UFC fights, I rarely see him go to side control to strike and/or attempt submissions and seems to just want to work towards mount.

Is this because at higher levels it's harder to pull off submissions in side control, or it's easier to escape, or just a preference?

There are more qualified people here that I'm sure will respond, but it seems he just is very high good at moving straight to mount or taking the back which are both superior to side control. If he could get mount or back maybe he would prefer side control to half

To strike while in side control is going to open space. A high level jiu jitsu guy can lock someone down in Mount or back control both of which have submissions and striking options.

The simple answer is that he uses a particular game-plan, with a particular path, that is slimmed down and simplified to get the maximum amount of training time focused on each step of the path.

Side control simply isnt a destination along that path.

Last edited:
He's refined and perfected the absolute best pathway to the mount or back control, and those are the best, most dominant positions, especially for controlling slippery, highly athletic people without gis.

At least as far as my experience goes, side control is a lot less advantageous in nogi or mma training with explosive, athletic guys who will want (and have the ability) to wrestle their way back to the feet. With gi grips, it's great. Without, It's really hard to keep their backs on the mat (forget about making space to try and strike. They're gone). mount or back are better

Maia always goes from the half guard straight to mount.

Force half guard ---> go to 3/4 mount ----> punch the opponent in the face, he will usually give the full mount himself -----> try an arm triangle or punch him, if he turns take the back -----> if you have the back put him in the body triangle and try to choke him, if he doesn't give his neck and the round is almost ended try an hail mary armbar.

That's Maia game in a nutshell.

This might be a stupid question but i'm going to ask anyway. When Maia gets the body triangle hooks his foot behind his oppo's leg. When he gets it, he keeps it on the same side when his oppo rolls, even when the body triangle has the foot on the floor and the knee in the air. whats stopping his oppo overhooking, pushing the knee away and going for the ankle lock?
I know there's something, i just can't see it

Maia has a specific game plan that doesn't require going to side control to get what he wants.

This might be a stupid question but i'm going to ask anyway. When Maia gets the body triangle hooks his foot behind his oppo's leg. When he gets it, he keeps it on the same side when his oppo rolls, even when the body triangle has the foot on the floor and the knee in the air. whats stopping his oppo overhooking, pushing the knee away and going for the ankle lock?
I know there's something, i just can't see it
High level guys don't tap to that ankle lock, especially if there is money on the line. Same thing with arm crushes, work great in the gym but less great in competition when the adrenaline is flowing.

side control no gi its better to attack than mount, but in mma, you can punch, so mount > side control.

Beginner BJJ question here. I've heard that there are more submissions possible in side control but when I watch Demian Maia's UFC fights, I rarely see him go to side control to strike and/or attempt submissions and seems to just want to work towards mount.

Is this because at higher levels it's harder to pull off submissions in side control, or it's easier to escape, or just a preference?

It's most likely because you can't strike all that effectively from side control, and in MMA effective ground striking is the easiest way to make sure you win rounds while setting up your subs. Plus the subs you get from side control tend to be less positionally controlling than what you'd get from the back, and Maia never gives up control to chase a sub. If Maia can get to mount he's going to be able to punch effectively, which usually ends up with uke either giving up his back or getting TKOed, and if Maia gets the back you're SOL.

His passing style lends it self to mount. Open guard smash passing (dope mount) that Demian does will always put him in mount when he passes. If he had a different passing style, one that was more speed oriented, we would loikelt see him in side control more. BJ Penn has the same style of passing. We rarely see him in side control.

Maia reminds me of rickson and roger . Same go to plan and works nearly every time

It's most likely because you can't strike all that effectively from side control, and in MMA effective ground striking is the easiest way to make sure you win rounds while setting up your subs. Plus the subs you get from side control tend to be less positionally controlling than what you'd get from the back, and Maia never gives up control to chase a sub. If Maia can get to mount he's going to be able to punch effectively, which usually ends up with uke either giving up his back or getting TKOed, and if Maia gets the back you're SOL.

Unless you're good at the mounted crucifix, then that changes everything.

Ibjjf point system

Side control is 3 points as a result of a guard pass.

Mount is an additional 4 points.

The points are rewarded as you are improving your positional dominance.

Ibjjf point system

Side control is 3 points as a result of a guard pass.

Mount is an additional 4 points.

The points are rewarded as you are improving your positional dominance.

What does the IBJJF point system have to do with it?

What does the IBJJF point system have to do with it?

I thought it was pretty self explinatory.

Positional dominance like mount rather side control is rewarded under ibjjf rules

Is there any other martial arts that reward positional dominance?

I thought ts was asking why maia prefer Mount over side control.

Back