does anyone really think some fights would change outcome if they were in a ring?

i disagree. you can hold people against ropes too.

Its much more difficult against ropes....its easier to shift your weight when your back is on ropes instead of a fence....

And i suppose i should specify....im talking about that 'failed takedown to wall and stall' type where the ref lets one fighter spend 3 minutes working for one takedown....

couture mediocre in the ring? what do you base this on?

he had more fights in the cage, of course he did better in the cage. if he fought in a ring in the ufc he would have looked good in a ring too
Beats one of the scariest fighters ever in yong juice head Vitor in the cage then loses to Enson, Iluykin and Overeem's bum bro in the same period....Even he said it makes a big difference. There is also way more give against the ropes, which not only can benefit boxers - as the cage has no give for dodging - but you also gotta deal with all those rope assistants so you don't go flying out of the ring. Fighters can also wiggle out to get restarted in those weird positions and it can just get awkward.

A fight is a fight but they want to make out like that entering through a door and not ropes changed the fight.

Fedor would of fallen through the ropes in the Hendo ko.

Anderson Silva would beat Forrest Griffin in a cage, or in a ring.

Fedor would have lost to Werdum in a cage, or in a ring, or in an aquarium, or in a box
Only delusional Cro Cop/Fedor fanboys believe that the ring made a HUGE difference

2007 Gonzaga would've slept 2007 Cro Cop regardless of the ruleset and location.

2010 Werdum would've tapped 2010 Fedor regardless of the ruleset and location.

I'm not saying that the outcomes of CERTAIN fights wouldn't have been altered if the location was different, but it is a largely OVERSTATED difference.
The stage of the fight is not so significant that it could change the outcome of a fight.
It can. Watch Sakuraba vs Smirnovas in K1 Hero*s. Sakuraba was literally KTFO by GnP but he was under the ropes, so instead of stopping the fight, the ref separated them and restarted back in the center. Sakuraba was still out of it but got a chance to recover and then came back and won. He would have been KTFO in a cage and that's undeniable.

2007 Gonzaga would've slept 2007 Cro Cop regardless of the ruleset and location.
Well Gonzaga fucked him up with elbows which are illegal in PRIDE and K1....but anyway you are probably right.

Gonzaga might have escaped this beating if he could have gotten under the ropes and reset in the centre ring though.
20100221063505_DGH105452-600x362.jpg

The cage gives wrestlers a huge advantage. Pressing someone against the cage provides countless opportunities to land the take down. Most takedowns aren't in the center of the cage; there against the cage. There's a reason for that.

Ok how would Maia do vs Woodley in a ring? Because we all know Woodley used the cage to hang on for dear life.

Back