does anyone really think some fights would change outcome if they were in a ring?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Or if in a ring, they were in a cage.

I always hear things like "yeah but if that fight took place in a ring, the other guy would win".

No he wouldn't. The stage of the fight is not so significant that it could change the outcome of a fight.

Anderson Silva would beat Forrest Griffin in a cage, or in a ring.

Fedor would have lost to Werdum in a cage, or in a ring, or in an aquarium, or in a box.

How the fuck do we know?

Sometimes 2 guys fight using the same structure (ring, octagon) and the result is different.

Example: Bisping/Rockhold

I always hear things like "yeah but if that fight took place in a ring, the other guy would win".

No he wouldn't. The stage of the fight is not so significant that it could change the outcome of a fight.

Fedor would have lost to Werdum in a cage, or in a ring, or in an aquarium, or in a box.
So true... Showtime would have done his kick in a ring too..

How do you guys not understand?

Rings are a square and have corners.

You can corner someone in the corner and it is also easier to get someone to back into the ropes in a ring.

In the Octagon you can constantly circle away.

For this reason, tall lanky counter strikers like Conor, Anderson and Chuck excel in the Octagon. They can keep the fight at long range easier.

The ring usually favors short, stocky strikers like Wand, Cro Cop and Fedor because they can trap their opponent easier and fight at close range.

That is just striking.

There are differences in wrestling up against the fence but I will let someone else explain that.

So true... Showtime would have done his kick in a ring too..
tumblr_ounw6viDhj1t9x67ao1_500.gif

Don't fuck with @revoltub

Any match won by wall and stall in a cage wouldn't be effective in a ring....and there have been a few right off the top of my head.....

RDA/Alvarez would likely have a different outcome in a ring.

Clay guida would have had no career....

Any match won by wall and stall in a cage wouldn't be effective in a ring....and there have been a few right off the top of my head.....

RDA/Alvarez would likely have a different outcome in a ring.

Clay guida would have had no career....

i disagree. you can hold people against ropes too.

Only delusional Cro Cop/Fedor fanboys think that

Gonzaga would've slept Cro Cop regardless of the ruleset and location.

Werdum would've tapped Fedor regardless of the ruleset and location.

Sure, those fights may have been the same either way but fights like Wanderlei vs Franklin where Franklin constantly moved away would be totally different in a ring. Wanderlei would have had an easier time cutting Rich off in a ring and fighting at close range

How do you guys not understand?

Rings are a square and have corners.

You can corner someone in the corner and it is also easier to get someone to back into the ropes in a ring.

In the Octagon you can constantly circle away.

For this reason, tall lanky counter strikers like Conor, Anderson and Chuck excel in the Octagon. They can keep the fight at long range easier.

The ring usually favors short, stocky strikers like Wand, Cro Cop and Fedor because they can trap their opponent easier and fight at close range.

That is just striking.

There are differences in wrestling up against the fence but I will let someone else explain that.
This ^

get-a-brain-morans.jpg

You can't hold guys against the cage in a ring. Good strikers can cut their opponents off in a square ring. The ring favors strikers, and a circular or octagon cage favors wrestlers. It's a very different environment and that's why the fights were more exciting in PRIDE

Only delusional Cro Cop/Fedor fanboys believe that.

2007 Gonzaga would've slept 2007 Cro Cop regardless of the ruleset and location.

2010 Werdum would've tapped 2010 Fedor regardless of the ruleset and location.

As a once delusional Cro Cop fan I can confirm this

Yes, absolutely. The cage favors grapplers way more. There is a reason Couture was mediocre in the ring, even losing to guys like Inoue and Valentijin in the ring and was a GOAT in the cage.

Yes, absolutely. The cage favors grapplers way more. There is a reason Couture was mediocre in the ring, even losing to guys like Inoue and Valentijin in the ring and was a GOAT in the cage.

couture mediocre in the ring? what do you base this on?

he had more fights in the cage, of course he did better in the cage. if he fought in a ring in the ufc he would have looked good in a ring too

Back