Do you dislike the mainstream media?

Do you dislike the mainstream media?

• Total voters
qiuKGoH.jpg

Thank you both for the entertainment!

Many establishment Republicans are #NeverTrump'ers

Don't make the false assumption that just because they have an "R" next to their name that there's somehow an ally of President Trump.
People can't objectively do their jobs unless they're Trump stans? The Trump University judge couldn't do his job because he was "Mexican"? You guys really buy this bullshit?

It's not balanced. @sniper is lower-tier, and I think he knows he's wrong on this one.
Nope. I know in the end I will be proven right. So enjoy yourself while you can.

I continue getting proven right every day. Bet against me at your own risk.

Nope. I know in the end I will be proven right. So enjoy yourself while you can.

I continue getting proven right every day. Bet against me at your own risk.

You're 100% wrong, today, tomorrow, and every day. The mistake you're making is giving too much credence to subjective views, and missing the point about the objective difference. You or your neighbor might prefer if CNN had a more right-wing lean or that Fox was less ideologically biased, but that's separate from the point that Fox markets to people who want news from a Republican perspective, while the MSM (including CNN) markets to people who want balanced coverage, and they all make editorial decisions that reflect those different targets.

You're 100% wrong, today, tomorrow, and every day. The mistake you're making is giving too much credence to subjective views, and missing the point about the objective difference. You or your neighbor might prefer if CNN had a more right-wing lean or that Fox was less ideologically biased, but that's separate from the point that Fox markets to people who want news from a Republican perspective, while the MSM (including CNN) markets to people who want balanced coverage, and they all make editorial decisions that reflect those different targets.
This is the post a naive man makes.
Or a man with skin in the game.
God bless bro.

This is the post a naive man makes.
Or a man with skin in the game.
God bless bro.

Here's the thing: You don't see any concrete, identifiable flaw in my thinking, but you feel an emotional aversion to accepting the conclusion. As a result, you resort to generalized attacks on the deliverer of the information and logic that are causing you pain.

It's not at all unreasonable to expect enthusiasm and loyalty from the people that are working for you.
They're working for us, not him. Always remember that. Air Force One belongs to us, we pay for it. Trump got on Air Force One and he shamelessly lied to our face. He is a criminal and not fit to serve.

It's a comical statement to anyone familiar with either of them. There's no lens through which people view personalities that would support that. Don't fall for such obvious propaganda.

If you'd read the article you'd see the lens is psychological. Narcissism describes Obama pretty well although I'm not too sure about Trump.

By "political affiliation" do you mean party? I'd think you'd ask about ideological affiliation, which is different. But I think all of them are obvious. Nothing for the NYT or CNN, D for HuffPo and MSNBC, R for the rest.

So you agree it's pretty easy to figure out which way each of those media outlets leans politically?

Left
New York Times
CNN
Huffington Post
MSNBC

Right
Fox News
Wall Street Journal
Washington Times
Drudge Report

I don't believe that you can fail to see the difference between Fox and CNN if you're looking objectively. Again, it's not about your judgment--it's just about their fundamentally different business models, with one appealing to a mainstream audience and striving for "balance" to achieve that and the other openly appealing to an audience that finds the MSM to not be to their partisan liking.

I think what you're trying to say is that the left-leaning media outlets like CNN do a better job of maintaining some semblance of balance compared to outlets like Fox News.

Fox News is not that bad, it's kind of like Black Entertainment Television (BET) in a way. I've often heard whites complain about BET saying, "If white people made a White Entertainment Television we'd be declared racists." Blacks always give the same reply, "Well, every channel is white entertainment. Blacks had to create their own thing." Fox News is much the same, imo. Every channel is Liberal entertainment, so Conservatives had to make their own station and boy do Liberals resent that it exists.

If you'd read the article you'd see the lens is psychological. Narcissism describes Obama pretty well although I'm not too sure about Trump.

WTF?

So you agree it's pretty easy to figure out which way each of those media outlets leans politically?

Left
New York Times
CNN
Huffington Post
MSNBC

Right
Fox News
Wall Street Journal
Washington Times
Drudge Report

The NYT and CNN don't lean left, though. The rest, sure.

I think what you're trying to say is that the left-leaning media outlets like CNN do a better job of maintaining some semblance of balance compared to outlets like Fox News.

No, they're not left-leaning at all. Shit, just the other day Tapper (a journalist for CNN rather than an opinion show host) was spinning on behalf of Mercatus. I think it's the case that centrist, MSM media gets interpreted as left-leaning by the right (and right-leaning by the left). In a previous discussion on the issue, I broke it down for you with a little more granularity. They're violently opposed to the idea that either party is better than the other, they're incredibly cynical about all politicians, they are cosmopolitan in their social outlook (not very religious or ethnocentric, libertarian on social issues), and moderate right-leaning on policy (anti-single payer, anti-deficits but pro-tax cuts, anti-regulation but they don't buy CTs about climate scientists).

Fox News is not that bad, it's kind of like Black Entertainment Television (BET) in a way. I've often heard whites complain about BET saying, "If white people made a White Entertainment Television we'd be declared racists." Blacks always give the same reply, "Well, every channel is white entertainment. Blacks had to create their own thing." Fox News is much the same, imo. Every channel is Liberal entertainment, so Conservatives had to make their own station and boy do Liberals resent that it exists.

Earlier in the thread, I made the point that Fox justifies its dishonest hackery by claiming that it's just balancing bias from the MSM. But that still creates a fundamentally different business model.

Well, that's the thing, right? If you don't have the time or resources to check out everything individually, you're much better off trusting reliable sources. "Questioning things" sounds like sound, mature advice, but if people don't know how to question effectively (and almost everyone overestimates their ability), the results of it are not going to be better than trust. Of course, the MSM makes mistakes (and then corrects them when people point them out) and has its own blindspots (not referring to the comical "liberal media" CT, BTW), etc. But it's overall a better guide to truth than the "trust when I like it, don't trust when I don't like it" approach.

If you get this test wrong, you should seriously question your truth-detection skills:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...uick-puzzle-to-test-your-problem-solving.html
Good test. I thought they were trying to level me so I checked it against a bunch of different rules after the answer was obvious. I believe that makes me paranoid and too loyal to integers.

The NYT and CNN don't lean left, though. The rest, sure.

I disagree. I give CNN credit though for at least bringing on token conservatives to give the appearance of legitimate balance. I mean they aren't nearly as openly partisan as MSNBC, for example.

No, they're not left-leaning at all. Shit, just the other day Tapper (a journalist for CNN rather than an opinion show host) was spinning on behalf of Mercatus. I think it's the case that centrist, MSM media gets interpreted as left-leaning by the right (and right-leaning by the left). In a previous discussion on the issue, I broke it down for you with a little more granularity. They're violently opposed to the idea that either party is better than the other, they're incredibly cynical about all politicians, they are cosmopolitan in their social outlook (not very religious or ethnocentric, libertarian on social issues), and moderate right-leaning on policy (anti-single payer, anti-deficits but pro-tax cuts, anti-regulation but they don't buy CTs about climate scientists).

I know who Jake Tapper is. What is Mercatus?

Earlier in the thread, I made the point that Fox justifies its dishonest hackery by claiming that it's just balancing bias from the MSM. But that still creates a fundamentally different business model.

You're saying Fox News doesn't do real journalism?

I disagree. I give CNN credit though for at least bringing on token conservatives to give the appearance of legitimate balance. I mean they aren't nearly as openly partisan as MSNBC, for example.

It's not just token conservatives, but generally, it sounds like you understand that CNN (a MSM company) has a fundamentally different model than Fox or MSNBC, which is my point. I'm aware that to fanatical right-wingers, it appears left (and to the left, it appears right).

I know who Jake Tapper is. What is Mercatus?

https://www.mercatus.org/

You're saying Fox News doesn't do real journalism?

"Real journalism" is undefined.

Last edited:
Back