Movies Do You Consider Jaws A Horror Movie?

Is Jaws A Horror Movie

• Yes

• No

• Idk

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, absolutely. Simply because it has made the open ocean terrifying like never before and if anyone hums the theme song, you will always think....oh shit.

No other genre really does that, even if thriller/suspense seems like the better fit.

No, felt more like a court room, drama, romcom to me. Much like legally blonde.

action, thriller, adventure

Unstoppable force with no morals killing thoughtlessly

Killer lurking in the dark taking form after possessing a body

That could be the same description as the second films, do you consider them horror too?

Suspense movie. Thriller, maybe.

I believe it’s possible for films to span more than one genre.
Not just possible but often ideal.

Genres serve a purpose and can be a great tool for a writer or director to resonate with the audience but equally interesting for me is the exploration outside those lines. The intersection of genres, the abilty to play with the expectations and implement misdirection and to explore places that are entirely outside of the common genres.

And even within a clearly defined genre, elements of other genres can be extremely effective. Comedy intelligently utilized within suspense or drama can be perfect tension relief and create a "reset" for new drama and tension to build.

Sure, if that's what floats your boat.

7b42c9e7085116e328cbb850f95c60f6.gif

Technically, I'd say yes it is. It's just too classy, that it's hard to put it into such a narrow genre with a reputation of being trash. It falls along the same lines of "The Silence of The Lambs". In less capable hands, it's a run of the mill horror flick about psycho killers. The quality brings it up from the mud. "Alien" is another one, that people struggle to label as "horror", and would rather put the "suspense" moniker on it, as it doesn't sound as cheap.

I've seen Alien called horror a lot. It is even labeled as a horror film. Other than that I agree.

If Alien is a horror movie than why wouldn't Jaws be? Alien killing people, animal killing people. Not much difference when you really think about it.

The argument could be made that it is because of the way they are filmed and the presentation. Jaws doesn't "act" like a horror movie the way Alien does.

I guess the biggest question this brings up is if The Edge is a horror movie. And for some reason I'm struggling to say it is even though by my own logic I should say it's horror easily.

I've seen Alien called horror a lot. It is even labeled as a horror film. Other than that I agree.

If Alien is a horror movie than why wouldn't Jaws be? Alien killing people, animal killing people. Not much difference when you really think about it.

The argument could be made that it is because of the way they are filmed and the presentation. Jaws doesn't "act" like a horror movie the way Alien does.

I guess the biggest question this brings up is if The Edge is a horror movie. And for some reason I'm struggling to say it is even though by my own logic I should say it's horror easily.

It all starts to blend together after a while. I wouldn't classify "The Edge" as horror, as IIRC, it doesn't have many "horrific" moments in it. It's more of a true blue thriller that just happens to have a bear as the antagonist. JAWS on the other hand, has some pretty gnarly shit, and would probably receive an R-rating today. People tend to forget some of it's more extreme moments, like all the real shark attack images, and a decapitated head in full view. Then there's Quint's gory demise. Even the shark getting blown to bits is still pretty wild for a PG-13 movie.

Not just possible but often ideal.

Genres serve a purpose and can be a great tool for a writer or director to resonate with the audience but equally interesting for me is the exploration outside those lines. The intersection of genres, the abilty to play with the expectations and implement misdirection and to explore places that are entirely outside of the common genres.

And even within a clearly defined genre, elements of other genres can be extremely effective. Comedy intelligently utilized within suspense or drama can be perfect tension relief and create a "reset" for new drama and tension to build.

I feel that both horror and comedy have been gradually ghettoised by Hollywood in the last 20-30 years, they've shifting to working within very limited boundaries of the genres catering to audiences who just want that.

I suspect the issue is such films have a much lower standard to meet, films like Jaws, Alien, The Exorcist, The Shining etc made large amounts of money BUT they did so on the back of being very high quality cinema made by great directors. Modern horror is largely the domain of pretty generic directors without that level of ability, churning out the same jump scare formula that Hollywood knows the audience will continue to watch until the end of time.

Comedy is the same, dumb fratobro "improv" has become totally dominant on modern comedy, I'd say actually if you want a modern equivalent to something like Ghostbusters the MCU is probably closer than any actual comedy films.

I said Idk but I should've said no. At least it didn't scare me much and I wasn't nearly as enamored with it as many seem to be.

Jaws had more scares than many of the "horror" films ive seen since it was released. So yes, it should definitely be considered a horror.

People were scared shitless to even go near the ocean after it was released. I take it those people were....horrified.

Basically the same film as Alien, Predator, The Thing, Jurassic Park etc.

Only difference is the antagonist is actually a real thing.

Not an out and out horror, but definitely elements of it.

The Thing is real, come to some Essex bars after 2am......

Around ten years ago I turned on free to air tv here in Oz to watch the 8.30pm christmas night movie. It was Jaws.
I laughed heartily at that.
I pictured some guy at the tv company had to work over Christmas and got angry thinking 'I'll show them! Lets see them enjoy their summer beach holidays now!'

If you want further proof that Jaws is a horror movie, look at the countless imitators it spawned. They’re all horror movies.

Or the ancestors it immitated. Godzilla comes to mind.

It is a horror movie regardless of anyone's opinion on It

Back