Do we need titles?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I see some say that we should get rid of titles.

Argument for: A top guy or "champ" is needed for creating big fights and for promotion. You can say that without a belt there is no real reward for being the best fighter and also no way to prove you are the best fighter. The belt is a symbol for who is the best just like a superbowl ring or a stanley cup.

Against: the belt never proves who the best fighter is. The champ proves this by who he beats etc. A guy like DJ would still be considered the best at his weight even without the belt because of what he accomplished. Also guys with belts can use the belt as a tool to duck fights etc.

Which side are you on

what's the point of fighting without the belt?

there has to be a champion. Otherwise the fights, rankings are pointless.

You're right... they should get rid of titles.

All fights should be to the death. Life would be the title.

Pulse.jpg

They didn't have titles in the beginning they fought for what they do now....Money. If you took a majority of the fighters and asked them if theyd rather get a belt put around their waist or be handed a big fat PRIDE Grand Prix style $500,000 check.....Im willing to bet theyd take the check.

Belts became cosmetic over time. They are supposed to be "the marker" #1 spot in a division but we see rankings mean dick so when rankings dont why should titles.

yamma-belt.jpg

Only belt that ever mattered. imo

' We, here, often need subtitles. '
- Tze

I see some say that we should get rid of titles.

Argument for: A top guy or "champ" is needed for creating big fights and for promotion. You can say that without a belt there is no real reward for being the best fighter and also no way to prove you are the best fighter. The belt is a symbol for who is the best just like a superbowl ring or a stanley cup.

Against: the belt never proves who the best fighter is. The champ proves this by who he beats etc. A guy like DJ would still be considered the best at his weight even without the belt because of what he accomplished. Also guys with belts can use the belt as a tool to duck fights etc.

Which side are you on
That's like saying there should be no Superbowl or NBA finals. Similar to a person working for no pay. Then what would be the point? What will be the purpose of anything?

Well, there's a lot of fighters that still give a damn about titles. As long as there's some who'll go for the carrot, I say dangle that carrot.

Life would be the title.
Lmao amazing

But they'd have to bring back goldie...i can only imagine him talking like that

"They say life is the most precious gift of all
...well tonight joe these two of the divisions best...will put theirs...
On the line
<Goldie11>

Problem is promotions that abuse titles. Look at the whole Bisping Fiasco. GSP is legitimately the best MW in the world right now according to some because he beat Bisping who was "champ". There's obviously a systemic problem. Number one contender means nothing these days.

The UFC needs belts and rankings so that thick people, manchildren and casuals have a storyline that's easy to follow.

Hardcore fans should not require shiny visual aids to know which two fighters would make for the best fight.

The problem is having titles yet ignoring the rankings. it makes the titles meaningless and the fights fustrating at times. titles/belts require you to have rankings and to adhere to the integrity of the rankings to a point. personally i prefer the tournament structure over the belts and titles. the Bellator HW tournament is more intriguing to me then most of the next slate of title defenses in the UFC. And to be clear i feel that the talent is superior in the UFC but im losing interest in the structure

Back