Do likes create echo chambers?

x9dUvCu.jpg

I don't think its as bad here as it is with reddit. From what I know with the reddit system more upvotes means more visibility but here its the opposite; usually the first few posts, as the more visible ones, will get more likes. When people post for likes its usually with a humorous take on the topic at hand.
One problem with likes is that it doesnt tell you much. If you're going to allow likes why not allow other reactions?

Without likes, how would I know I was winning the internet?

2:1 is kind of the minimum. Anything less indicates a shit poster IMO.
Doesn't this opinion back up the TS's hypothesis?

If you hold this belief would it not have to enter our mind when you are posting

Something i've noticed recently is that forums like reddit, recently this place and twitter become more and more cliquey (and no, not talking politics here).

I think likes encourage people to actively seek approval of the majority. Maybe all forums with the like system trend this way.

Reddit is the most obvious example. People literally post for upvotes, not to discuss anything, and that entire website is a circle jerk.

Anyone else noticed the correllation with likes?
I do, but it also comes with the upside of letting people know you appreciate their idea, without wasting a lot of space verbalizing. My opinion of "likes" is better than I thought it would be. I expected the echo chamber effect to be worse than it is. And for good or bad, it adds a subtle social dimension to our interactions.

Something i've noticed recently is that forums like reddit, recently this place and twitter become more and more cliquey (and no, not talking politics here).

I think likes encourage people to actively seek approval of the majority. Maybe all forums with the like system trend this way.

Reddit is the most obvious example. People literally post for upvotes, not to discuss anything, and that entire website is a circle jerk.

Reddit absolutely. Posts are instantly buried. You can't support trump outside of the donald otherwise your account is in trouble.

I understand the mods not implementing a dislike button here. This place would become the exact same.

Were posts pre-like era better? Is it better to remove the likes?

It also doesn't help that people are talking about likes to posts ratio.

I think they can guide people in that direction, for sure, but it only serves to harden the men who do not seek other people's acceptance. That's a positive, as far as I'm concerned.

Our ideals and our self-belief grow much stronger, when the system is seemingly against us, when we are the "underdog" fighting against all odds, with no social approval in sight. It appears to me almost as if we build these systems only in order to topple them.

I suppose its all in what you make of it

You can post certain things knowing that certain people are more than likely to give you one

Or you can actually write good posts and be able to tell how good of a poster you are by how eclectic of a group of people giving you likes is

It's just a tool used by companies to encourage more posting. Also another data-point they can monetize and sell.

I suppose its all in what you make of it

You can post certain things knowing that certain people are more than likely to give you one

Or you can actually write good posts and be able to tell how good of a poster you are by how eclectic of a group of people giving you likes is
Yeah, if i'm honest I try hard to ignore the like system, but i still get that small ego boost when someone likes my post.

I don’t give a fuck about likes and I don’t know why its such a big deal here. It’s just a quicker way to say ‘agreed’ for me
That's interesting, would " agree " be a better option ?

It’s contrary to your point to ‘like’ it, but ...

I don't know if this is relevant but didn't one of the Facebook people give an Axios (sp?) interview talking about intentionally exploiting human psychology by creating a feedback loop (related to likes and the desire for them). I'm not explaining it well but it seemed like something related to classical or operant conditioning.

Back