Do likes create echo chambers?

I’d be down with an agree button
Although sometimes I will it like even if I don't agree per se if I think they make an interesting point

As pathetic as this sounds, it would not surprise me in the least.

Self-esteem and “likes” are correlated and co-dependent.

Welcome to the new age.

Cyber-tickle my ego and I’ll “believe” whatever political agenda you want.

It's kind of up to you whether you're surfing for likes. Of course you get more with pithy first page posts than you would with a page 17 response to something, but I think it's less of a thing here than it is on like facebook or reddit(actually never been on reddit, so I'm taking your word for it). Likes weren't even a thing on here for like the first 5 years I was on, and it didn't change anything about my posting. People used to actually reply and say "agreed", where now just tapping the like button is the same thing.

Something i've noticed recently is that forums like reddit, recently this place and twitter become more and more cliquey (and no, not talking politics here).

I think likes encourage people to actively seek approval of the majority. Maybe all forums with the like system trend this way.

Reddit is the most obvious example. People literally post for upvotes, not to discuss anything, and that entire website is a circle jerk.

Anyone else noticed the correllation with likes?

yes. i noticed it immediately after it was enacted. this is why i have never liked one single post. that, "clique" aspect and random posting for likes is one of the more annoying things around here.

Something i've noticed recently is that forums like reddit, recently this place and twitter become more and more cliquey (and no, not talking politics here).

I think likes encourage people to actively seek approval of the majority. Maybe all forums with the like system trend this way.

Reddit is the most obvious example. People literally post for upvotes, not to discuss anything, and that entire website is a circle jerk.

You have to understand that forums with this type of system attracts a lot of lonely people who aren't liked IRL. People who weren't even liked by their own parents. I see a lot of these types here, mostly hardcore left leaners.

I remember those days...
xFrJtHx.gif

2:1 is kind of the minimum. Anything less indicates a shit poster IMO.

Not really.

I just need to post these things to get an ass load of likes

The government is trying to take our guns.
Obama fucked everything up.
Reagan was a god.
Hillary lost. Get over it.
Take that snowflake.
Transexuals shouldn't have a right to use a bathroom of their choice.
Ass grabbing is just part of flirting.
Post pictures of fat chicks, fit chicks, or trangenders

Not a single one of those is an interesting post but that is all you need to do to get a lot of likes. Most of the time I only like someone when I make a statement and someone counters it with a well though out argument. Something I might not agree to but I thought the rebuttal was thought out.

yes.
https://www.wired.com/2016/11/filter-bubble-destroying-democracy/

The War Room has been nearly unreadable since the "likes" system was added. It makes the other Sherdog forums more fun, but destroys political debate.

Not really.

I just need to post these things to get an ass load of likes

The government is trying to take our guns.
Obama fucked everything up.
Reagan was a god.
Hillary lost. Get over it.
Take that snowflake.
Transexuals shouldn't have a right to use a bathroom of their choice.
Ass grabbing is just part of flirting.
Post pictures of fat chicks, fit chicks, or trangenders

Not a single one of those is an interesting post but that is all you need to do to get a lot of likes. Most of the time I only like someone when I make a statement and someone counters it with a well though out argument. Something I might not agree to but I thought the rebuttal was thought out.
Ive seen bad posts on either side of the political spectrum get likes. The problem is that in politics people use the system to support their side. I'm on the right but i dont want to post in an echo chamber.

Is it possible to remove the like system from the war-room? Would be an interesting experiment.

I hang out in the Australian Reddit forum which is left leaning, I find myself liking more Right leaning posts just to keep the balance. But the crazies here are way too far right leaning which is why I don't like their posts.

Can't say I've noticed that much difference here, aside from a few people that seem hung up on it. It cut down all the "+1" posts.
I tend to use it as a way to say, "I've read your reply to my post, but don't think it needs replying to" or "I was going to post this, but you've done it for me" (which is a "+1" I guess).

They could cut down on flame wars by having a fuck you button:

X and Y like this.
Z said fuck you for this.

Then we could all be like don't listen to that guy! He's got more fuck yous than likes! Imagine people following each other round fuck you'ing every post and calling each other out in the OT for it. It'd be superb.

Probably, maybe, uh certainly yes.

As social creatures; we tend to like the validation of others. Twitter is not about winning hearts and minds with indepth discussion of politics or even life.

It is to produce a quip that will whip across the virtual world and make people cheer in agreement, or just as often to howl in condemnation. And? The Twitterer feels validation in all the virtual "thumbs up" when he makes others "cry liberal/conservative/... moderate? tears" how "sad."

But, you know what? I would prefer one person to read one of my long philosophical rants and feel they gained something, than fifty people to read one of my short witty quips and agree with me.

Can't say I've noticed that much difference here, aside from a few people that seem hung up on it. It cut down all the "+1" posts.
I tend to use it as a way to say, "I've read your reply to my post, but don't think it needs replying to" or "I was going to post this, but you've done it for me" (which is a "+1" I guess).

I think that is to the War Room's credit.

There are posters who actually want to learn something or make the world a better place.

I'm not sure politics on Facebook, Twitter, or I don't know, Instagram? Are searching for anything of meaning.

Browsing the comments section of the Washington Post or National Review will churn up some hilarious and alarming accusations and cries of outrage... but almost all of it is entertainment.

Back