Do boxers have better chin then mma fighters?

Sure. What was incorrect about my statements. Who has Vitali beaten that's even worth mentioning?

Sure. What was incorrect about my statements. Who has Vitali beaten that's even worth mentioning?

Well, i'm sure that you can find a way to minimize it, but almost everyone hes fought since losing to Lewis was a top 10 ranked fighter.

Solis, Arreola, Adamek, Sam Peter....

What makes you put Chris Byrd as an elite HW? He beat who? Peter and Hide for his titles, both reasonable wins. He took out sanders and got unlucky vs Lennox (and boy did Lennox make him pay). Sure he has shit wins like Briggs and Sosnowski and baby bro has a better resume, but he has beaten a lot of top ten fighters in that period. And to say Lennox was nearly shot is speculation at best and not true at worst.

For clarity my remarks on byrd were sarcastic in the vein of your original post.

What makes you put Chris Byrd as an elite HW? He beat who? Peter and Hide for his titles, both reasonable wins. He took out sanders and got unlucky vs Lennox (and boy did Lennox make him pay). Sure he has shit wins like Briggs and Sosnowski and baby bro has a better resume, but he has beaten a lot of top ten fighters in that period. And to say Lennox was nearly shot is speculation at best and not true at worst.

this is very true .
notice how byrd is an " elite heavyweight " with " a pluse " when they're talking about vitali's resume .
and how the same byrd is just another worthless bum that wlad should get no credit for beating when they're talking about wlad's resume ... :icon_conf

I rate Byrd just a little higher than say, Michael Moorer.

Yeah, decent win, but elite is stretching it.

Smaller area of MMA gloves means there is more impact on the skin, in other words you are more likely to cause cuts with MMA gloves. But it does not follow that this means more impact to the brain.

You have to remember that the energy doesn't stop at the skin level. It goes to the bone where the energy transfer continues. In addition to cuts, the MMA glove makes it easier to break bones, and creates a greater

Great random physics but what you are saying makes little sense since when they tested the impact they found that the force transferred to the target was pretty much the same between MMA gloves and Boxing gloves. The change in momentum of the head is what causes the KO. The more force transferred regardless of the area it's spread over is the only thing that matters in terms of a knock out. Newtons 2nd law says the net force on an object is equal to the rate of change of its linear momentum.

What that video tested was purely the force of a punch with the level of deformity between a bare fist, 6 oz. Japanese MMA gloves, and 10 oz. boxing gloves being the variable. They found that the variable of deformity was low between the MMA and boxing glove. The mechanics and physics can get very complicated to measure the felt impact of a punch. So let's focus on the constants and the variables between gloves to find where the differences are physically from the perspective of the conservation of momentum.

Let's assume that the distance, velocity, acceleration, mass, density, force, and deformity are essentially the same. The time, area, and pressure are different causing a severe change to the felt damage of a punch. Simply put, the design of boxing gloves makes it easier to ride a punch, harder to be precise in accuracy, and the pressure changes the damage for reasons that can be explained by complex inelastic collision models.

Boxers have these disadvantages with their gloves and are trained to exacerbate them with the sweet science by slipping and rolling with the punches. MMA guys don't have this level of training.

Diaz, Maldonado, Penn, JDS, Gomi: those are MMA fighters who use their boxing skills as "primary weapon" and in fact they are well known for having "great chin". so i m 100% sure that training boxing will make your chin harder (absorb more damage) and ofc building Heavy Hands for power.

There is absolutely no way boxers have better chins than MMA fighters. The difference mainly comes from technique. Boxers know better how to deliver and defend being punched in the head since this is what they do. That's pretty much the end of it. Now, there are factors like the gloves and other things, but it's mainly the technique. MMA gloves were proven to hit slightly harder than a boxing glove. It's not very much, but it is something. You see more one punch KOs, because MMA fighters on the whole have weaker defense against punches than boxers. This is mixture of both boxers being superior in boxing skills and MMA fighters having to worry about other attacks that may leave them open for a big punch.

Individuals in both sports have better or worse chins naturally. Some people just can take bigger hits than other people, but this probably is about the same between the two sports.

What that video tested was purely the force of a punch with the level of deformity between a bare fist, 6 oz. Japanese MMA gloves, and 10 oz. boxing gloves being the variable. They found that the variable of deformity was low between the MMA and boxing glove. The mechanics and physics can get very complicated to measure the felt impact of a punch. So let's focus on the constants and the variables between gloves to find where the differences are physically from the perspective of the conservation of momentum.

The force of the punches with MMA glove and Boxing glove were near enough identical. It's not about 'felt' impact as though it's some subjective measurement, they are measuring the force that has been transferred to the target based on the acceleration of it's known mass using very accurate accelerometers. We know f=ma. So the force is a quantifiable measurable number. There is no complexity here because we are looking at the resultant momentum of the target not that of the impact body. So we can immediately discard any if's or buts about how much force is actually imparted because we know exactly how much momentum change there is in the bag.

The Fan Man said:
Let's assume that the distance, velocity, acceleration, mass, density, force, and deformity are essentially the same. The time, area, and pressure are different causing a severe change to the felt damage of a punch. Simply put, the design of boxing gloves makes it easier to ride a punch, harder to be precise in accuracy, and the pressure changes the damage for reasons that can be explained by complex inelastic collision models.
This is simply irrelevant in this case because we know exactly how rapidly the target is accelerated by the punch. It's good science, they measure the resultant momentum change in the target not the force of the impact itself. Now what would be interesting is if they knew exactly how much force was in the striking body and how much was actually imparted into the target vs. different striking surfaces.

There is absolutely no way boxers have better chins than MMA fighters. The difference mainly comes from technique. Boxers know better how to deliver and defend being punched in the head since this is what they do. That's pretty much the end of it. Now, there are factors like the gloves and other things, but it's mainly the technique. MMA gloves were proven to hit slightly harder than a boxing glove. It's not very much, but it is something. You see more one punch KOs, because MMA fighters on the whole have weaker defense against punches than boxers. This is mixture of both boxers being superior in boxing skills and MMA fighters having to worry about other attacks that may leave them open for a big punch.

Individuals in both sports have better or worse chins naturally. Some people just can take bigger hits than other people, but this probably is about the same between the two sports.

this is true. but at the end of the day..... being able to take shots better to the head=better chin.

On average of course... And forgive my ignorance in advance its just what i see.

Explain to me why am wrong.

Because the pain between getting hit with boxing gloves on can't even remotely compare to getting knee'd / kicked in the face.

Boxers do take ALOT more punches per fight but the pain / chin levels in MMA are far far superior

Diaz, Maldonado, Penn, JDS, Gomi: those are MMA fighters who use their boxing skills as "primary weapon" and in fact they are well known for having "great chin". so i m 100% sure that training boxing will make your chin harder (absorb more damage) and ofc building Heavy Hands for power.

sakara? eddie alvarez? andrei arlovski?

Because the pain between getting hit with boxing gloves on can't even remotely compare to getting knee'd / kicked in the face.

Boxers do take ALOT more punches per fight but the pain / chin levels in MMA are far far superior

Lol. How can you say that when you got guys like Lesnar coming in who never had to take a punch to get there? Lesnar I think actually had a good chin, but he reacted like a pussy to actually getting hit.

Boxers go through the chin test from the first time they start up as an amateur. In MMA you can go your whole career before entering MMA without getting striked. It's not a bash on MMA, it's just reality.

Let me add, I'm not saying it's impossible for guys in MMA to have great chins, because some do, but like TS said, on Average guys in boxing are going to have better chins. Just like any guy who started and went up the ranks in a striking sport.

Last edited:
This is a chin:

Staredown_Silva_Browne_Plat_640x360_1738307863.jpg

This is a chin:

Staredown_Silva_Browne_Plat_640x360_1738307863.jpg

Dude got kod by the weakest arm punch uppercut I have ever seen.

3:35

Just this last weekend we saw a boxer take viscious uppercut after uppercut and never even wobble.

2:30 on. Not the hardest shots, but best I could find for this fight.

Back