Opinion Disney CEO Bob Iger says company’s movies have been too focused on messaging

The problem with entertainment like Disney is that it lives forever. There really is no need to take your kids to the latest Disney movie because you can have them watch the same ones you grew up with. It's not like the latest Disney movie is the only kids movie available for people to watch

Yea but you're looking at it the wrong way. If Disney creates a new good movie. A family doesn't say "Hey lets stay home and just watch this movie I watched as a kid.". The family wants to go out together and have an experience outside of the house. When you've been at work all week and the kids have been going to school and coming home all week you want some time outside the house together. Me and my wife still go see all the Marvel movies and it's more about just going out together and spending some time together outside of the house and away from the kids.

Pixar released a great new IP earlier this year that made 500 million dollars and they got another new IP space movie coming out next year

Of their last 6 releases, 5 were original IP, 1 was a sequel(Lightyear, which was so freaking terrible)

They have two new movies on the upcoming slate, one original, one sequel

I think you may be just a scootch off in your assessment, there
$500M isn't a hit when the production cost was $200M which excludes advertising costs. It grossed just under $500M and 69% of it's revenue was international. Disney gets a smaller cut of the international take than domestic. Break even is typically 2.5 X Production cost so $500M, but that assumes a more even split between domestic and international, so it didn't even break even.

Lightyear and Onward were massive bombs. Luca and Turning Red Disney had no confidence in. Soul lost money as well. The last original hit they had was Coco in 2017 and Inside Out in 2018 both made over $800M. The Good Dinosaur was also a bomb. Their last 6 original movies lost money, most of them lost a lot of it. None cleared $500M. The last 3 movies they had to clear a billion were Toy Story 4, Finding Dory, and The Incredibles 2 (all sequels).

$500M isn't a hit when the production cost was $200M which excludes advertising costs. It grossed just under $500M and 69% of it's revenue was international. Disney gets a smaller cut of the international take than domestic. Break even is typically 2.5 X Production cost so $500M, but that assumes a more even split between domestic and international, so it didn't even break even.

Lightyear and Onward were massive bombs. Luca and Turning Red Disney had no confidence in. Soul lost money as well. The last original hit they had was Coco in 2017 and Inside Out in 2018 both made over $800M. The Good Dinosaur was also a bomb. Their last 6 original movies lost money, most of them lost a lot of it. None cleared $500M. The last 3 movies they had to clear a billion were Toy Story 4, Finding Dory, and The Incredibles 2 (all sequels).

Literally none of this changes the fact that you were wrong in your assessment, for the record

Onward came out 6 days before the world shut down so we cant really blame that on them

Soul, Turning Red and Luca were dumped to streaming because Bob Chapek was trying to pump up Disney Plus and he chose to do it by destroying Pixar, so thats not really their fault either

Lightyear was garbage and they deserve all the heat they get for that one

By the way, Soul was a beautiful film and its a shame it didnt get the full big time major movie roll out that it deserved

Turning Red was really good too

Both of those movies had a good shot at being hits if they wouldve got handled correctly, its a shame they werent

I mean that and cheap cash ins with no creativity or soul. Might want to address that problem too as you have ruined the good will of amsomrnthr most die hard fan bases out there

Elemental was definitely a hit, in spite of your made up math. which is honestly surprising to me, because the Elemental trailer was hands down the worst trailer i’ve seen for a Pixar movie. i still haven’t seen the movie because that trailer was such junk.

Literally none of this changes the fact that you were wrong in your assessment, for the record

Onward came out 6 days before the world shut down so we cant really blame that on them
Soul, Turning Red and Luca were dumped to streaming because Bob Chapek was trying to pump up Disney Plus and he chose to do it by destroying Pixar
My assessment is that they are going to rely on sequels. Which is why they are desperate to put out Toy Story 5. They haven't had an original hit since 2017. A lot of families are going to skip the theater and just watch on Disney+ now. They have 1 original movie coming out, but Iger is desperate to put out more sequels because their originals aren't making money. Happy to put an AV bet on how much Eilo will make or lose.

My assessment is that they are going to rely on sequels. Which is why they are desperate to put out Toy Story 5. They haven't had an original hit since 2017. A lot of families are going to skip the theater and just watch on Disney+ now. They have 1 original movie coming out, but Iger is desperate to put out more sequels because their originals aren't making money. Happy to put an AV bet on how much Eilo will make or lose.

LoL av bets, how old are you?

Elemental was definitely a hit, in spite of your made up math. which is honestly surprising to me, because the Elemental trailer was hands down the worst trailer i’ve seen for a Pixar movie. i still haven’t seen the movie because that trailer was such junk.
Nice retort simpleton. How about some facts to back up your empty reply?

Elemental's gross including split between domestic and international:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1811383041/

2.5X budget is the standard for break even. With heavy international hauls increasing the multiplier. Coming under break even doesn't make something a hit moron. If it made $50-$100 it would be a moderate success, it didn't. A hit for a movie that cost $200M just for production would be making a few $100M in profit.

Fast X, MI, and The Little Mermaid all made more money than Elemental and still lost money. Revenue isn't everything and it's not all going to the company that makes the movie.

Nice retort simpleton. How about some facts to back up your empty reply?

Elemental's gross including split between domestic and international:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl1811383041/

2.5X budget is the standard for break even. With heavy international hauls increasing the multiplier. Coming under break even doesn't make something a hit moron. If it made $50-$100 it would be a moderate success, it didn't. A hit for a movie that cost $200M just for production would be making a few $100M in profit.

Fast X, MI, and The Little Mermaid all made more money than Elemental and still lost money. Revenue isn't everything and it's not all going to the company that makes the movie.
one idiot on sherdog saying Elemental was not a box office hit vs the entire movie finance industry saying that it was a surprise hit.

sorry bud, but i’m gonna have to side with reality over ballpark estimation metrics.

one idiot on sherdog saying Elemental was not a box office hit vs the entire movie finance industry saying that it was a surprise hit.

sorry bud, but i’m gonna have to side with reality over ballpark estimation metrics.
Ok so nothing then. An imbecile that can only parrot something they heard but can't provide anything factual. Gotcha.

So how much profit did it make then if it was a hit? I'm sure there's plenty of articles on the profit or estimated profit?

Last edited:
Believe the dick tuck category in your case.

Am I scared now?

Of a bet on the internet?

And the stakes are a picture on a website?

I tucked my dick over that?

Are we really that worked up over this?

That is adorable, oh I wish I could just squeeze your cheeks and muss your hair right now, you are just the cutest little thing!

Am I scared now?

Of a bet on the internet?

And the stakes are a picture on a website?

I tucked my dick over that?

Are we really that worked up over this?

That is adorable, oh I wish I could just squeeze your cheeks and muss your hair right now, you are just the cutest little thing!
Dude you're the one bent out of shape over my assessment of animated kiddie movies. My assessment was just plain wrong in your opinion. I provided you facts and numbers and you dismissed them. I suggested a friendly bet which you called childish, which is funny coming from someone that can't handle someone else's opinion on animated movies for elementary aged children.

Ok so nothing then. An imbecile that can only parrot something they heard but can't provide anything factual. Gotcha.

So how much profit did it make then if it was a hit? I'm sure there's plenty of articles on the profit or estimated profit?
you literally have not provided a single piece of evidence to back up your claims that Elemental was not a surprise hit at the box office.

thanks for participating.

Dude you're the one bent out of shape over my assessment of animated kiddie movies. My assessment was just plain wrong in your opinion. I provided you facts and numbers and you dismissed them. I suggested a friendly bet which you called childish, which is funny coming from someone that can't handle someone else's opinion on animated movies for elementary aged children.

How am I bent out of shape?
Im cracking jokes and enjoying the discourse about one of my favorite film studios, youre over here trying to make bets to prove your manhood and throwing out childish insults, "dick tuck", bet that gets a great laugh at all the junior high schools

Gotta be honest, bud, you seem to be off on another assessment

you literally have not provided a single piece of evidence to back up your claims that Elemental was not a surprise hit at the box office.

thanks for participating.
Only the 1st article gives an estimated break even. The next 2 don't give any details on profit or break even so they're essentially worthless. According to the first article the estimated breakeven is $450M and slim on details. Also doesn't bring up the nearly 70/30 split in international to domestic split. Even with that breakeven profit is $45M. Which isn't a hit on a $200M budget. It would be a moderate success. Elemental had a terrible opening weekend but legged it out of bomb territory to a small loss thanks in large part to the Asian market of which the studio gets a smaller cut of the profits. Some blogger on Collider a click bait site putting out an estimated breakeven with little actual analysis of how they arrived at that number isn't going to change anything.

you're laughing.
disney is going to shit and you're laughing

Back