Opinion Disney CEO Bob Iger says company’s movies have been too focused on messaging

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Brown
Reaction score
Alex Sherman @SHERMAN4949

• Disney CEO Bob Iger acknowledged his company has focused too much on movie messaging and not enough on quality storytelling.
  • Disney named two new board members Wednesday as it prepares for a proxy fight from Nelson Peltz’s Trian Fund Management.
  • Disney has drawn ire from Republican politicians for being “too woke” in its storytelling.
Disney Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said Wednesday he will no longer tolerate his company’s partners and creative team prioritizing messaging over storytelling.

“Creators lost sight of what their No. 1 objective needed to be,” Iger said at the DealBook Summit in New York on Wednesday. “We have to entertain first. It’s not about messages.”

Iger said Disney’s prioritization of messaging over storytelling peaked “while [he] was gone” in 2022, alluding to the 11 months he left his job as Disney’s executive chairman. Iger had been in charge of “creative endeavors” in 2020 and 2021, even while Bob Chapek ran the company as CEO.

“We have entertained with values and with having a positive impact on the world in many different ways. ‘Black Panther’ is a great example of that,” Iger said. “I like being able to entertain if you can infuse it with positive messages and have a good impact on the world. Fantastic. But that should not be the objective. When I came back, what I have really tried to do is to return to our roots.”

Iger has recently pushed to improve the quality of Disney films in 2024 and beyond. He is cutting back the number of movies Disney makes to focus on making better films. Earlier this week, he told Disney employees at a town hall that creating hit movies is the best way the company can change perception for investors and employees.

Disney has dealt with blowback from Republican politicians, including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, and critics on social media for including a same-sex kiss in 2022′s “Lightyear” and an openly gay character in 2022′s “Strange World.” 2023′s “Elemental” also includes a nonbinary character.

While Disney has a long history of infusing storytelling with positive morals, Iger acknowledged during Disney’s earnings conference call earlier this month that he believes the company’s storytelling has suffered as the company has increased the number of movies it’s made for both Disney+ and theatrical release. Iger reiterated that he has emphasized to his creative executives and production partners that making engaging stories has to be Disney’s first priority.

“I’ve worked hard since I’ve been back to reminding the creative community who are our partners and our employees that that’s the objective,” Iger said. “And I don’t really want to tolerate the opposite.”

Iger’s comments come as Disney faces pressure to turn around its business and boost its share price. Sustained box-office troubles, including the recent disappointing showings of “The Marvels” and the animated film “Wish,” have weighed on the company’s performance.

Activist investor Nelson Peltz’s Trian Fund Management said in a statement Thursday it will move forward with an effort to nominate new directors to the Disney board, concluding that “investor confidence is low, key strategic questions loom, and even Disney’s CEO is acknowledging that the Company’s challenges are greater than previously believed.” Trian will seek multiple board seats, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Disney named two new board members on Wednesday — former Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman and former Sky CEO Jeremy Darroch — as it gears up for a potential proxy fight. Current Disney board member Francis A. deSouza won’t run for reelection at the annual meeting.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/30/dis...ovies-have-been-too-focused-on-messaging.html

Disney should hire @tastaylvr as their onboard geneticist for when people complain about obvious racial quotas being forced down everyone's throat.

I discovered that I'm not actually white because my genetics are closer to the people of the Levant and that's why I'm a Nazi.....I'm not sure I stopped reading to be honest.

<Varys01>

Well, no fucking shit.

"Strange Worlds"(?) should've been the wake up call. 15 year old gay male lead, and even the friggin' dog was disabled. 9 digit budget. Brought home a few mil. Yeah, making parents cringe and cover their children's eyes during certain "moments", is probably not what you want from a "family" movie.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Disney will be fine. They’re going nowhere despite who’s feathers they ruffle here and there.

Yes, and one of the reasons that the most successful huge corporations continue to make money is that they are run by people like Iger who realize when a business strategy needs to be altered in order to maximize profitability.

Thus...probably less preaching social lessons and more focus on good storytelling going forward just like their CEO said.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Disney will be fine. They’re going nowhere despite who’s feathers they ruffle here and there.

Yeah I've thought that as well.. still nice to see them come back to reality somewhat though.

At least they recognize what they are doing.

Yes, and one of the reasons that the most successful huge corporations continue to make money is that they are run by people like Iger who realize when a business strategy needs to be altered in order to maximize profitability.

Thus...probably less preaching social lessons and more focus on good storytelling going forward just like their CEO said.
Sure, however you want to frame it, Disney knows how to stay relevant.

Iger will say anything to deflect as much blame from himself and towards Bob Chapek. Disney is so creatively bankrupt. Just super hero crap, sequels, live action remakes, and redundant Pixar movies. The shallow pandering almost feels like an out that they can use to blame fans for not liking their shitty movies.

STOP the live action remakes. It worked for the first few, and now the nostalgia well has run dry. No one gives a fuck about a live action remake of Pinocchio, Snow White, or Lilo and Stitch. These shameless money grabs don't work anymore, but they need to learn their lesson and stop this.

Last edited:
Damn, Disney was about to make some masterpiece about a tale of young Hamas suicide bomber on his way to Israel singing the smash hit, “river to the sea I will wipe out thee”

i havent cared about disney since i was 7yrs old. they should change lanes and start making movies like There Will Be Blood or Blade Runner

O rly ya think so bob iger. Only took them losing billions of dollar to figure out going woke was going broke. The money isn't the real loss though they removed a lot of the prestige and premium appeal the disney brand had as its image for those of us that saw its glory in the 90s it's brand suicide. I will not watch another disney product for maybe a decade until they get there act together. Wish proved disney was not a premium product anymore.

i havent cared about disney since i was 7yrs old. they should change lanes and start making movies like There Will Be Blood or Blade Runner
If they made a rated R winter soldier it would be a good film.

I'm still annoyed with how bad Willow was.
Willow,the witcher and the last season of GOT should have been good took a lot of incompetence to mess those up

Back