Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw v.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was introduced to me as the Driver for the "BMW Films" commercial series. He was wooden as hell, except for the Guy Ritchie segment:

My favorite one of those was the rip-off for Mercedes:

Naturally because of Michael Mann and Benicio del Toro.

Nice, I remember those, vaguely.

Cinderella Man.

Probably now my favorite boxing movie ever

8/10

The Bronze - 8/10

Melissa Rauch was great in this role.

I loved him in Closer, he was the best part of that (excellent) movie. "Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist, wrapped in blood!"

Croupier was the first time I saw him, I kept thinking, who is this guy and how have I never seen him before? Thank God he turned down the role of Bond, he would have been great but how many fantastic roles would he have missed as a result?

"I've got the coat... The white coat..."

Why don't we see Clive in more stuff? The guy is awesome.

There Will Be Blood 5/10.
Meandering and flat. Had some good acting but it was all over the place.

Update: June 8, 2017

Dragonlord's Review of THE MUMMY
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: A lifeless, hollow viewing experience, The Mummy marks one of the very rare clunkers in Tom Cruise's storied career.

8xNg5af.png

Tom Cruise hasn't made a truly bad solo film in like forever. His last few films have ranged from great (Edge of Tomorrow) to good (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Oblivion) to pretty good (Jack Reacher) to decent (Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation) to average or meh (Jack Reacher: Never Go Back). The Mummy marks a new low for Cruise's storied career as it is probably his worst solo film in decades.

The Mummy starts off with a prologue of ancient Egypt showing how princess Ahmanet (Sofia Boutella) killed her family in exchange for power from the god of death Set. As punishment for her crimes, she is entombed alive in a sarcophagus and buried deep underground far away from Egypt. This is the first misstep for the reboot as it immediately felt like a rehash of The Mummy (1999) prologue.

Fast forward to modern day, soldier of fortune Nick Morton (Tom Cruise) inadvertently resurrects Ahmanet when he discovers an Egyptian tomb in Iraq. Ahmanet has cursed Nick to be her "chosen one," a human vessel to bring forth Set to man's world. Along with the help of archaeologist Jenny Halsey (Annabelle Wallis), Nick must find a way to break the curse or else become an all-powerful deity with the lovely Sofia Boutella as his mate. Wait. What's the downside again?

Not even Cruise's star power and charisma can lift the ho-hum script. In fact, Cruise's involvement was a distraction as you get this nagging feeling throughout that he doesn't really belong on this movie. A different actor for the lead might have been for the best.

aEgAT8B.png

Marking his directorial debut, Alex Kurtzman fails to bring the fun, high-energy spirit of the 1999 remake or conjure up anything terrifying aside from a couple of cheap jolts. They try to do the fun part with Cruise's banter with Jake Johnson early on but it just comes off as forced and trying too hard.

With the exception of the zero gravity stunt when the airplane crashed and the underwater chase scene, nothing in this hollow exposition-heavy adventure sticks out. The movie's pacing is fast but off like it's trying to hurry to the next scene without giving the audience ample time to connect with the story or characters.

Having a female as the mummy, especially with someone as attractive as Boutella playing the role, is a hindrance as you are more likely to be drawn to her than run away from her. They also set up the romance subplot between Nick and Jenny which plays a key part later on but it's not properly developed that it lacks conviction at the end.

The Mummy heralds the start of Universal Pictures' much-hyped Dark Universe where classic monsters as Dracula, the Wolfman and Frankenstein's monster exist in an Avengers-type setting. The Mummy often times feels like an intrusive set-up to the Dark Universe with Dr. Henry Jekyll (Russell Crowe) playing the role of Nick Fury. Speaking of Jekyll, his transformation to Mr. Hyde is a disappointment as the only physical changes we see is a skin rash and Hepatitis A colored eyes.

So save your money at the cinemas and wait for the home video release where there's a chance this film might be slightly favorably received. Also there's no post-credits scene.

Rating: 5/10

Op2iCLu.png

Major spoilers below:

I long suspected that Cruise's character would become something else in the end, something more supernatural as playing a mere human in the Dark Universe doesn't seem fitting for a star like Cruise's stature. And I was right. At the end, Nick becomes the living vessel of the god of death Set but with Nick still in control (barely) of his human side.

Nick is now all-powerful displaying feats of super strength, super speed, toughness, life drain and resurrection of others. I predict Nick is going to be this walking Deus Ex Machina where he swoops in other Dark Universe movies, most likely the big assembly with the rest of the monsters, and saves the day. I can dig that if they properly pull it off.

But couldn't they have come up with a better name for Cruise's character, especially since they have big plans for him in the Dark Universe. Nick Morton doesn't really sound cool, mysterious or intimidating. I can just imagine the people talking about him, "He moves through the shadows. Blink and he's right behind you. He is a god with the literal power of life and death. Beware the power of... Nick." Or Dracula nervously saying, "Oh no, it's Nick!"

There's some Easter Eggs in Dr. Jekyll's lair like the skull of a vampire or the severed hand of what looks like from the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Watched the TCM remastered Godfather last night in the theaters. It was awesome but brightened up compared to the original version.

9/10

I feel like I may have already said this, but I caught the end of CRIMINAL again, and it's hilarious seeing Gary Oldman act at two levels above the material. He's yelling at Costner at the end with these choice words: "What have you done?! YA FUCKIN' ASSHOLE!!!!"

Nil by mouth. Semi-autobiographical film written & directed by Gary Oldman. Hard viewing, but amazing performances from the central cast. Oldman is a bit of a genius, IMO.

Nil by mouth. Semi-autobiographical film written & directed by Gary Oldman. Hard viewing, but amazing performances from the central cast. Oldman is a bit of a genius, IMO.
HE IIIIIGHHHT.

No chance in hell will I watch that film. I prefer my bleak to be French, where the absurdity undercuts the rampant dourness. Or Korean, since I have mother issues.

English bleak ... that's like old cold coffee.

Worse than cold coffee. Cold toast and tea with cheap vinegary ketchup, and a badly-cooked egg.

The Brits do dank like no-one else. This Sporting Life is the best and worst sports movie ever.

The Magnificent Seven (original) - 7.5/10 - Old classic. I don't think I've seen it all the way through before. Sat down and finally watched it and really enjoyed it.

Rings
Absolute pile of shite. The original would be turning in its grave.
3/10

3/10 for real? Not Marvel's strongest film but I still enjoyed most of it. Why such a low score?

Er, he gave Basket case 9.5/10, is from Norway and gets hit in the head alot from being a professional fighter;

I'm guessing he's a bit loopy.

Thor (2011), yesterday for the second time. Better than I remembered: Asgard was stunning, I love the fish out of water acting of Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman is a cutie.

Downside is Kat Dennings pointless and annoying character, Loki is also a bit too ungrateful and childish, the Destroyer fight was too short considering there are very few fight scenes in the movie (and none are spectacular).

7,5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back