Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw v.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Monster (2016) - 8/10

Holy shit this was good, super emotional monster movie with a very impressive small cast. My only complaint would be that the monster didn't look that great (he looked ok), aside from that this was an excellent movie.

The Dark (1979)

Gave this a chance because William Devane is a very good actor and was especially great in the 1970s. But this thing was such a turd that I had to bail after about 20 minutes. It was a pathetic cash grab of a monster movie and I don't know how he got roped into this. Produced by Dick Clark...and I guess that's why Dick Clark wasn't known for his horror movies.

What I saw was significantly worse than Piranha II. It was on track for about a 2.5 / 10.

The only redeeming quality was that a very young Philip Michael Thomas showed some indication that he might achieve something in the future.

The Family (2013)

Luc Besson directing Robert De Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer and Tommy Lee Jones in a half-serious movie about an old mobster in the witness protection program. It's a better and more honest effort than other recent De Niro projects like Red Lights or Heist, but still nothing spectacular. De Niro and Jones had some decent scenes together - pretty light stuff but you could still tell that you were watching two men who are very good at what they do. The story focused too much on De Niro and Pfeiffer's kids without having them ultimately be important to the story. The whole thing was missing that je ne sais quoi.

5.0 / 10

Excalibur

large_xpQ9taNNcgBEXrCawmqoRt3Jctc.jpg

I've seen a million times but it just keeps getting better.

8.5/10

The Wilby Conspiracy (1975)

Should have been great: Michael Caine and Sidney Poitier in apartheid South Africa, also with a young Rutger Hauer making his way into the big leagues. Ended up descending into something of a silly diamond heist and on the whole was just disappointingly ordinary. Anything with Caine and Poitier in 1975 should have been a classic.

5.5 / 10

Just saw the new Star Trek. I thought it was an okay entry, depending on how many ultimately get made with the same cast. How many end of days scenarios can there be though

The Toxic Avenger (1984)

Well, Lloyd Kaufman has fun making his movies. God bless him.

3.0 / 10

Her

9/10

If Terminator 2: Judgement day was a romantic comedy, it would be Her. Spike Jonze is the fucking man. Joaquin is flawless. Scar Jo should've got an oscar nom.

Just saw "Arrival" and was underwhelmed. Fairly cerebral movie about first contact with a very alien species. I'd only give it a 6/10. Rotten Tomatoes supposedly gave it a great rating.

Last edited:
Eye In The Sky - 7/10

Better than I thought it would be, very tense and well done.

Eye In The Sky - 7/10

Better than I thought it would be, very tense and well done.

I'll definitely check it out cause I trust your opinion. Plus, it's got (RIP) the legend Alan Rickman and Ser Friendstone Jorah Mormont himself.

Doctor Strange 8/10

Really, really enjoyed it. Awesome visuals, great score from Giacchino, strong performances from Cumberbatch, Ejiofor, and Swinton. Villains and their plot were weak, but what of it- it's still one of the better Marvel origin story movies and it moved more briskly than virtually any Marvel film I can think of. Usually there a few lulls and dragging moments in such films but Doctor Strange was full speed ahead through the entire running time.

I'll definitely check it out cause I trust your opinion. Plus, it's got (RIP) the legend Alan Rickman and Ser Friendstone Jorah Mormont himself.

Rickman is really good in it, friend stone doesn't get a whole lot of screen time though.

I saw Don't Breathe. 6/10

It was ok. Competently made but nothing special about it all. Reminded me of "The People Under The Stairs" but way less entertaining.

Arrival - 8/10

Don't understand all the confusion/discussion about the ending. I fully understood what was going on and the ending was as clear as it could be.

Am I missing something or are we that dumb down?

Her

9/10

If Terminator 2: Judgement day was a romantic comedy, it would be Her. Spike Jonze is the fucking man. Joaquin is flawless. Scar Jo should've got an oscar nom.

Very good movie, but an Oscar nomination for Scarlett Johansson's voice acting?

R.I.P.D. (2013)

Perfectly serviceable but forgettable popcorn movie. Shallow version of Ghost crossed with Men in Black. It's very easy to imagine the pitch for this one.

5.0 / 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back