Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw v.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xmen Apocalypse
4.5/10

Nothing really really bad but not much good either. My biggest problem was just the story and writing in general, the whole movie felt off and disjointed. I actually thought Apocalypse was decent enough, they made him feel very strong but they dropped the ball in terms of making me give a shit about what he was doing. The movie felt oddly like X3 which is ironic given they took a shot at it.

I love the Xmen but the movies have just become mediocre at best. I'd really like to see the property become a TV series instead, I think it's a better fit.

Rams - Loved it.
Wow this was an excellent film. So simple and beautiful. Two Icelandic sheep farming brothers who don't talk to each other, their small area gets scapies, which is some sort of disease that kills sheep and spreads.

I have a thing for these types of films, I think maybe it's called understated, where there's little dialogue and the mood and story, so much of it is told simply by facial expressions and .... I don't know how to explain it. I'm still new to being really into films and this stuff is new to me and I'm really gaining an appreciation for a simple, perfectly framed show where little is said but so much is conveyed. It's very powerful to me where you can just look at their faces and understand them. Couldn't believe how good this is.

DR, Strange 8/10 (in comparison with other super hero movies)

decent movie (in regards to superhero movies) 8/10. Was definitely better than the majority of superhero movies. BC pulls off the role good - very hard to like throughout much of the movie (is that how DS is supposed to be? I'm not a comic reader).

One of the few CGI movies that is able to pull off excessive use of CGI.

Also got to see a cool Logan preview prior to the movie.

Don't Breathe. 5.5/10. Meh

Favor (2013) - 6.5/10

A low budget thriller about a guy who asks his child hood friend to help him hide the body of a woman he accidentaly killed. Was actually pretty good for what it is, the acting was a little wishy washy and some the scenes were unrealistic, but overall it was an entertaining flick with a few moments that caught me off guard. Worth checking out. (Available on Amazon Prime)

Movie: Jack Reacher: Never go Back

Rated: 6.5 out of 10
Would I recommend it? If you were bored or just wanted to burn 2 hours watching a action flick then yea, maybe.

Premise of movie could be summoned up in one sentence, maybe two. It's the type of movie that makes you think "heck I could write this, better."

That's probably because you've seen this movie or a derivative of it about 50x and also you've seen better.

If you saw the first Jack Reacher you've seen this one too. In case you didn't know Tom "Top Gun" Cruise plays all 5 foot 9ish of Jack and he is a super badass.

One, two, four guys no problem for Jack. He also apparently has no job, no home, and hitchhikes because he has no car.

He is a bum with a chip on his shoulder, a mission to accomplish and a hardon for some lady action. He manages to travel all the way to some military women's office in search of said action only to find, "holy shit" she has been arrested.

No worries, it's Jack Reacher. He may not have any money, car or real girl friend but he has everything else covered.

Him and the lady military officer run, drive, punch and trade smirks and tension filled sexual innuendos.
But Jacks to cool for that shit. Jacks on a mission.

Holy crap Jack might have a daughter! This is funny cuz Jack don't have time but maybe he did or does or something. Regardless a paternity suit was filed and Jacks going to see this through.

More punching, one, two, four guys, gun shots, threats, fast food, hotels and a ruthless ex military guy.

You guessed it, it all goes down in poor ole Orleans, home of Bourbon street, tourists and many of a bad movie and a few good.

This is not going to end well for anybody, especially you, no worries though Jacks got it covered.

To add excitement to the movie you could randomly pick fights with strangers in the movie and pretend your Jack Reacher or just have one of your associates kick you in the nuts.

Last edited:
Apartment Zero (1988)

I checked this out because it was an early starring role for Colin Firth and my homie Hart Bochner (@goodfella69). Very ordinary production that, but for the dark subject matter, could have seemed like a run of the mill 1980s TV movie. Everyone but Firth and Bochner gave pretty forgettable performances and the script as a whole was forgettable...

But every time Bochner and Firth were on the screen together, they elevated the ordinary script into something a little more. They both really knew their characters before the cameras started rolling and watching the two characters interact with each other was quite interesting whenever those scenes arose. This would have been a rather awful movie except that the performances from the two leads lifted it into something mostly watchable.

4.5 / 10

I had a really disappointing weekend for going to the movies. I went to the theatre on both Saturday and Sunday with my wife because we both really wanted to see The Accountant and Dr. Strange. I'm not sure if I went in with too high expectations, but I was kinda let down by both movies.

Dr. Strange - 6.5/10

I absolutely love superhero movies and superheroes in general so I get pretty excited for new Marvel and DC Movies, perhaps too excited for Dr. Strange... The movie had an overall weird vibe to it, the graphics were incredible but considering we are in 2017 almost now, graphics alone can't carry a film anymore.

One of the things I disliked most about the movie was the extremely awkward casting, if Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't in this I may give it an even lower score. Chiwetel Ejiofor was pretty bad in this too surprisingly considering he has solid acting chops, again a weird performance and casting. Lastly Benedict is fantastic, probably one of my favourite living actors currently but casting him as Dr. Strange was well... strange. He does not have a hero vibe at all to him, I also feel someone slightly older should have been cast and more physical imposing (no homo).

The Accountant - 6.0/10

A similar rating as Dr. Strange and same overall feeling of disappointment or of missed opportunity. I'm not sure if it's because I am Autism informed and a lot of others usually aren't, but I found the movie ridiculous and extremely stereo-typical. The acting was also crap and i'm not sure why they had to make him a killer because he's autistic, the last thing the Autism community needs is another autistic killer representing them. It was just so cliche and unreal then at one point turned into like a 90s kung fu movie, it was just so fucking dumb all around. As I said though, most uninformed people will probably enjoy it because they don't understand autism so they just assume he's your typical feel nothing, cold hearted autistic person and is cool because he kills people.

/SJW rant, brb changing tampon.

Ouija: Origin Of Evil - 5/10

I never watched all of the first one, shut it off after about forty minutes because I was bored, but apparently this one isn't really connected at all. I thought it was pretty meh, pretty standard paranormal/possession flick, a few decent scenes but nothing special.

Some people seem to really love Mike Flanagan's movies but all the ones I have seen so far (this, Occulus, Before I Wake, and Absentia) are just very average.

I thought the rape scene was one of the most memorable and thought-provoking scenes I have seen in recent years.

I actually found it somewhat brilliant. You had four people in an apartment, and the only two who knew it was a rape were the two not participating in it. It required some very subtle acting from all involved and said quite a bit about shifting moral lines in times of war.

Brad Pitt's character just wanted a couple hours of normalcy and decency before returning to the trenches, and even that couldn't be achieved without becoming twisted and muddied.

The rape scene was building up to the following dinner table scene and scenes after. I think you understand it.

Lifeforce - 2/10-6/10*

I have a major appreciation for scary spaceship movies, but unfortunately most of them aren't very good...so I've seen a lot of movies of questionable quality. Lifeforce is definitely one of those.

Dodgy special effects, nonsense characters and acting as bad as you'd expect earns this one a 2/10....but only for those who were actually looking for something good.

Move past that and things become a little different. The scary spaceship parts have a surprisingly well done atmosphere, the pacing is all action all the time, Patrick Stewart features in a strange role with an oddly hilarious scene and there are some excellent boobies. So if you don't mind silliness, flaws and general b-grade nonsense, you might even find Lifeforce worthy of a 6/10.

Because it's definitely the greatest sexy alien Halleys Comet space vampire movie of all time.

I think one of the things I like about foreign films is it gives a look into other cultures. The only problem with it is to what extent is fiction and what is real?

Hope - Liked it.
Korean film about a child being raped and how the parents dealt with it. Here's some spoilers 'cause I doubt anyone here will ever watch it, but the rapist got a lesser punishment due to intoxication. He claims that because he was drunk that he couldn't remember any of the events and the judge agreed with this. I don't know if that's a real law in Korea or not, that if you are intoxicated you are not responsible for your actions, or if it was just fiction. Good movie with some bizarre differences due to culture.

Umrika - Loved it.
Young Indian man leaves his small village and family to go off to America. His mother is so proud, receiving letters from her son regularly about his new life in America. He leaves behind a much younger brother who idolizes him and the things he learns about America. ** Spoilers ** The letters aren't real and the younger brother, once grown up, sets out to find out what really happened to his brother. Such a good film. Some strong moments in this one when he finds out about his brother and what he does afterward.

Nostalghia - Unsure.
Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker blew my mind earlier this year when I discovered it. I've watched it several times and it's easily become one of my favorite movies. I figured with how brilliant Stalker is, I'd give some of his other ones a go and I don't think I get them. I have to read up on them afterwards and read what everything is supposed to mean. I didn't get this one either. Didn't get the candle scene. Will likely have to give it another view and some more reading down the road. I did like the pacing of the film.

I thought the rape scene was one of the most memorable and thought-provoking scenes I have seen in recent years.

I actually found it somewhat brilliant. You had four people in an apartment, and the only two who knew it was a rape were the two not participating in it. It required some very subtle acting from all involved and said quite a bit about shifting moral lines in times of war.
It was definitely memorable and thought provoking.

Are you saying that the young man and the girl just got caught up in the moment? It's hard to see her going along with it after breaking into the apartment and he then takes his fun into the bedroom.

When Pitt says "If you don't take her into that bedroom, I will", do you think the boy takes her in with no intent of doing anything and just protecting her?

I have no problem with rape scenes in movies. It happens. The problem I had was the circumstances in which it happened and how it's presented.

It was definitely memorable and thought provoking.

Are you saying that the young man and the girl just got caught up in the moment? It's hard to see her going along with it after breaking into the apartment and he then takes his fun into the bedroom.

When Pitt says "If you don't take her into that bedroom, I will", do you think the boy takes her in with no intent of doing anything and just protecting her?

I have no problem with rape scenes in movies. It happens. The problem I had was the circumstances in which it happened and how it's presented.

The whole scene was a giant moral grey zone. The ways of the war zone were that plundering and pillaging happened. Perhaps the best Brad Pitt could do was have it done with some civility. Pitt was good enough to not himself engage in rape or quasi-rape with either of the women, but would he step in and deny his young troops something that could at least on the surface be passed off as consensual? Apparently not. Was he even equipped with the morals of a 1940s war zone to recognize that scenario as wrong? If neither the young man or the young woman felt like a rape had occurred, had one actually occurred? Given all that was happening in occupied countries, was that whole thing even on the decent side of things, relatively speaking?

I think the older woman felt that the younger woman would have been taken by force if she didn't consent. But it's not clear that the younger woman felt that way, so whether or not she would have had no choice in the matter, did she make her own choice before it got to that point?

Last edited:
Mr. Dr. Strange

No sky beams threatening the earth, so that's good.

Last edited:
Perhaps the best Brad Pitt could do was have it done with some civility. Pitt was good enough to not himself engage in rape or quasi-rape with either of the women, but would he step in and deny his young troops something that could at least on the surface be passed off as consensual?

I don't know how to respond or exactly what I want to say. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

The Lost Boys: The Thirst (2010)

I tried... Corey Feldman back as Edgar Frog for another sequel with the Lost Boys name licensed out. I think Corey has been through enough lately, so I'll just say that I decided to pack it in after twenty minutes, and leave it at that. It's a shame, with all the reboots lately, that nobody wanted to put up some real money for some inspired writing and direction for a legitimate sequel / reboot. The budget was apparently over $4M, but I don't know where it went.

The last 5 movies I've seen:

The Collector 2009 C-
Pretty mediocre horror flick with a shitty, cliched ending.

Splinter 2008 C
Average/mediocre horror flick.

Trainspotting 1996 A
I don't know what took me so long to see this movie, but it was awesome. At the beginning of the movie I thought I was going to have trouble understanding what the fuck they were saying, but it wasn't too much of a problem.

Zombie 1979 B-
The shitty acting from the cops at the beginning scared me thinking it was going to be a shitty '70s movie, but it turned out to be a fairly good vampire movie (it's obviously not a vampire movie...).

Room 2015 B+
I feel it's a bit overrated. It's all well done, but it kind of lacks entertainment value. Goodbye Room.

Inherent Vice - 7

I just felt like I was missing something the whole time but i did enjoy it. Would probably watch again if I smoked a joint

Lethal_weapon1.jpg

Lethal Weapon - 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back