Television Did we reach the peak of TV when Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were being broadcasted around the same time?

Did we reach the peak of TV when Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were being shown at the same time?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Or TV shows going to get better?

It feels to me after Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones shows have now finished, that was the end of an era in terms of TV, perhaps the highest peak of quality television ended there.

I'm not saying there isn't good to great shows being released, but it feels the peak has ended. We're in a different phase now. Or am I mistaken?

Never got around to watching Spartacus. How highly would you rate it?

The first two seasons are 10/10.
Two of the absolute best seasons of TV I've ever seen. I rank them as good as BB & GoT's best seasons.

I've recommended them to friends with this sentence - "Imagine if Gladiator was a TV show, shot like 300, but written with the drama equal to Shakespeare."

The last two seasons are still great, solid 8/10 each. But its damn hard to keep up the quality that sky high for long.

Watch them, at least the first 2 seasons, and thank me later. And I bet you'll still enjoy the last two with the expectation they're not quite as excellent, but still great.

Slow start building to an insane ride of story violence, nudity and hillarious quotes...wasn't going to win many awards but great fun.

"My cock rages on!"

@rivera it worth mentioning I was on Sherdog when Spartacus debuted, and after the first episode the consensus was - "Meh, kinda cheesy, but may watch more as a guilty pleasure" (Nudity & Violence).

By the 4th episode the consensus was - "Holy Shit, this is one of the absolute best shows on TV!"

The Shield was pushing the limit on FX on during that time too IIRC, I'll check in a few.
True- we still troll my friends about geting 'Assavaded' (sp) if something goes off the rails, referring to when that cop captain gets mouth raped.

True- we still troll my friends about geting 'Assavaded' (sp) if something goes off the rails, referring to when that cop captain gets mouth raped.

Since it was basic cable and i was watching it live I was like:
"He's not actually going to...someone's going to stop this at the last second..no way they show it...Oh my Fucking God that was vile!"

Neither were very good. I mean Breaking Bad flat out sucked. Game of Thrones was more of an event. It was great fun watching it live while yacking away about it in a livechat on social media. But beyond that GoT is greatly overrated. I have no desire to ever watch the series again.

TV was still going strong around the time of Breaking Bad and (early) GoT. Though it petered out somewhere around 2014, after True Detective season 1.

But the true peak is somewhere quite a few years earlier. I'd say somewhere in the early 2000s, back when Sopranos, The Wire and Oz ran concurrently. There was a whole bunch of other great/groundbreaking series back then like Six Feet Under, West Wing, Deadwood, Lost, Band of Brothers, The Shield, Firefly, et cetera. Plus the glory years of modern TV comedy was taking off right around that time, with The Office, Darkplace, Scrubs, Its alw.. Philly, and so on.

Neither were very good. I mean Breaking Bad flat out sucked. Game of Thrones was more of an event. It was great fun watching it live while yacking away about it in a livechat on social media. But beyond that GoT is greatly overrated. I have no desire to ever watch the series again.

TV was still going strong around the time of Breaking Bad and (early) GoT. Though it petered out somewhere around 2014, after True Detective season 1.

But the true peak is somewhere quite a few years earlier. I'd say somewhere in the early 2000s, back when Sopranos, The Wire and Oz ran concurrently. There was a whole bunch of other great/groundbreaking series back then like Six Feet Under, West Wing, Deadwood, Lost, Band of Brothers, The Shield, Firefly, et cetera. Plus the glory years of modern TV comedy was taking off right around that time, with The Office, Darkplace, Scrubs, Its alw.. Philly, and so on.
Nah I remember thinking Oz was one of the greatest shows ever when it aired

Rewatched it lately and it was corny and dated af, did not age well

Sopranos is goat

Back