Did the Son of Sam really act alone? Or was he a member of a murderous Satanic cult?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Graves

Graves ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

[​IMG]
    "what, no..really? who knows? haha, maybe. I don't know.
    why you asking me? tehee"

2. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

The cult from Minot that the Carrs were in is very real and there's still members in the community. I used to be involved in illegal things and I'd run into them every once in awhile. You knew who they were before you even talked to them, it's hard to explain but they carried themselves in a certain way that was out of the norm.

3. Guestx

Guestx Guest

No shit.

So what is their deal? What are they all about exactly?

HunterAcosta likes this.
  4. HunterAcosta

HunterAcosta Purple Belt

Yeah, Im intrigued as well.

Guestx likes this.
  5. jefferz

I never asked, and I don't want to know. There is some info on the web about the cult if you do some digging. They were all big time drug users and most are in jail for meth now.
    I know the german shepherd sacrificing thing started in Minot. Why they chose german shepherds, I have no clue.
    Just for the record, I never have done or dealt meth.

Guestx likes this.
  6. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Steel Belt

<looks at your avatar, doubts claim> :D

7. jefferz

I was a teenager when meth started getting big. By the time I got interested in drugs, I'd seen too many peoples lives get ruined by that shit that I never touched it. I never will.

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  8. is normal

is normal Purple Belt

Interesting.
    I always thought the zodiac killer was a satanic group.. it was not far from the church of Satan, and some suspects were linked to the church's San Francisco neighborhood.

9. Guestx

Guestx Guest

10. Cubo de Sangre

Thanks. This seems to want me to believe both Berky and Manson were in the same cult. If I have to believe Manson was operating under the orders of a cult to believe it to be the case in Son of Sam then I'm out. Nothing about Manson's case suggests anything of the sort.

11. HARRISON_3

HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

It's pretty close, IMO

Both are solid, for sure.

12. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Not sure about Manson. But I would caution you against having an all-or-nothing attitude. Something doesn't have to be 100% or 0% true. The truth can always lie somewhere in the middle.

13. Cubo de Sangre

Great. Because I'm warming up to this Satanic cult idea. Never found the case interesting and this would change all that.

14. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Here's what, from what I can tell, there seems to be significant evidence to support:

John Carr and Michael Carr were in some way involved with a ritualistic, seemingly Satanic cult. The Carr brothers were friends with David Berkowitz, and Berkowitz has said that they were involved with the murders.

David Berkowitz signed some of the Son of Sam latters with this symbol:

[​IMG]

You'll notice the inverted cross. That symbol was later found drawn onto a phone book that was found at the residence of John Carr.

Here's a bit from the unsolved.com page about Berkowitz getting involved with the cult:

Six months after Berkowitz's arrest, John Carr was found dead. It was ruled a suicide, but some think he was murdered. I think that either way it's suspicious.

The note that I posted in the OP references both the "22 disciples of hell," which some speculate refers to the members of the cult, as well as "John Wheaties." It was later found out that John Carr's nickname was Wheaties.

I'll leave you with this final excerpt from the Unsolved page:

It seems to me that there is enough reason to at least be open to the possibility that there's more to the story than just David Berkowitz, the lone gunman.

15. Cubo de Sangre

Thanks. Let me start here. Nickname indicates some common usage. Was this note made public? If so, wouldn't someone rat out the guy. It's a pretty odd name. Not like Big Jim or something. Just not sure how credible it is that was actually the dude's nickname.

16. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Well the note was obviously made public eventually, but I'm not sure when exactly.

Here's Maury Terry's comment on the matter:

We couldn't rule out the possibility that Terry is just making shit up out of whole cloth. But he was a serious and respected journalist, so that seems unlikely.

It's also possible of course that whoever gave him this information was bullshitting him. So that's something to consider. But I lean toward giving Terry some respect here and presuming that he properly vetted the information before just running with it.

17. Cubo de Sangre

Assuming that was the dude's nickname (outside the confines of the cult), wouldn't it make sense that it would be easy to corroborate? If you saw that killer's note in the paper and knew a guy named John Wheaties would you speak up at some point?

18. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I would suspect that, if he's the type of dude to be involved with a Satanic, German Shepherd-sacrificing cult, then he probably didn't have much in the way of normal friends. It's entirely possible that it was only a few people who knew him by this nickname and those people aren't the type to go talk to police.

I think another possibility is that police knew that was John Carr's nickname but concluded that Berkowitz just threw it into the note for the hell of it. So in their view it was just Berkowitz bullshitting.

19. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  20. Cubo de Sangre

This looks like quite the rabbit-hole. Loved me some Feral House Publishing back in the day.

[​IMG]