Did Ortega bought into his hype like Ngannou did?

Heavyweight is a barren wasteland with low quality talent, old farts and lower level athletes compared to featherweight.

Ortega is legitimately world class and of an appropriate age to be in an athletic endeavor.

He probably beats everyone else in the division. Max is just that good, I can't imagine what else the dude needs to do to prove it.

this thread is complete nonsense. Francis literally only showed 1 thing on his way up, power. He had lots of it, he used it, he got the wins, but that's all he had.

Ortega has KO'd people with basically all of his limbs (the elbow is what started Frankie's downfall), he's submitted HIGH level BJJ blackbelts with submissions that normally would not work on them.

Ortega actually landed plenty of good shots on Max and had him hurt during the fight, yes, he clearly lost, yes, the 4th round was a beatdown, but lol @ suggesting he "bought into his own hype" like Francis.

Just stop posting TS, honestly, this is a really poor viewpoint of the situation and if this is how you view MMA in general, you shouldn't post anymore at all. You'll just look more idiotic than you do now.

Ortega did everything he could, he never quit he was simply outclassed by the most underrated champion in MMA today.
I've always considered Whittaker the most underrated champ

Trying to find a comparison between Ortega and NGanou that I think is legit and I can’t. I don’t even think the UFC got behind Ortega like they did Francis.

Ortega is a the real deal, Francis will never be more than a gatekeeper. A guy that knocks out lower level heavyweights in dramatic fashion, but never beats a top guy.

he did just KO Blaydes. And Blaydes is most certainly a top level HW fighter. But that's the case, Francis has only showed 1 set of skills, his brutal KO power. Meanwhile, Ortega has shown he is a complete MMA fighter (minus his lack of TD ability)

ortega is always relaxed, that's just his personality. i didn't see any overconfidence there. i was pretty damn impressed by his composure during the fight TBH.

I feel both situations very similar for the following reasons:

- both were insanely hyped
- both champs were underdogs
- they both dispatched the #1 contender easily before fighting for the belt
- both were getting insane amount of attention
- champs were vastly overlooked

Ortega might not have been as vocal as Ngannou but he looked extremely confident and relaxed during the build up even talking about fighting Khabib next if he would have won

I definitely believe Ortega, like Francis, became too full of himself and that it may have affected his performance. Good comparison TS.

but not to say that Max wouldn’t have beaten him anyways.

It was a very close fight, I was rooting for Yoel like most people but it wasn't a robbery, also Whitaker have beaten everybody he was supposed to lose and already beat Yoel before

Doesn't matter. Max hasn't had any performances like that as champ. Whittaker is perfectly rated. Max is underrated

the two arent really comparable.

ortega created his own hype and deserved it. ufc performance institute created ngannous hype.

He believed in the boxing Hype, Rener and everyone around him was so impressed with his Frankie KO that they thought it would be a good idea to stand with Max...Just think what winning against Max standing would have done for Ortega’s image..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back