Did Ortega bought into his hype like Ngannou did?

Mammothman

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I feel both situations very similar for the following reasons:

- both were insanely hyped
- both champs were underdogs
- they both dispatched the #1 contender easily before fighting for the belt
- both were getting insane amount of attention
- champs were vastly overlooked

Ortega might not have been as vocal as Ngannou but he looked extremely confident and relaxed during the build up even talking about fighting Khabib next if he would have won

Nah, Ortega's pretty legit.

He just ran into one of the best FW's.

Losing to a Champion doesn't automatically mean you're overhyped or done. Just ask DC

Last edited:
No. You fans bought into the hype.

Edit: Ortega is good. Ngannou is nowhere near as skilled as Ortega.

No ... Ortega never quit and took that beating like a boss. Ngannou was already broken in round 2

he was unbeaten, so why shouldn't him believe his own hype?

But IMO he also did not face anyone like Max before.
And Frankie was short notice fight, so Frankie was not fully prepared to fight him. On a rematch we might see a different Frankie, who knows?
Bottom line is: Ortega had reasons to believe he could be too much for Max. It didn't happen, so now he goes back to the drawing board.

Ortega did everything he could, he never quit he was simply outclassed by the most underrated champion in MMA today.

No way , Ortega is the real deal.

I think that's Whitaker

Whittaker is up there but people actually had Max as the underdog even though he dominated the greatest 145er of all time and one of the best fighters of all time in Aldo.

Whittaker is up there but people actually had Max as the underdog even though he dominated the greatest 145er of all time and one of the best fighters of all time in Aldo.
at first I have to admit I bought into the Ortega hype but the more I though about that and the fight was getting closer I was convinced Max should win without much problem

These guys better believe their hope or they are in the wrong profession. If they don't believe in themselves, they have lost before they step in the cage.

I think he did. He was throwing all kinds of crazy elbows, like he wanted to have a spectacular finish. It reminded me of how Conor acted when he came out in the first round against Khabib. He had this demeanor like Khabib didn't belong in there with him. He learned that night. Ortega will be back. He better learn to wrestle though or learn some boxing defense. He was punching bag for most of the fight. I think that was the most anyone has been hit in the face in the history of the UFC.

Ortega is legit... This lost will only make him better.

Max is a beast.

Max was built to beat Ortega. Max being the underdog was absolutely absurd.

Ortega has shown in every single fight to be stationary, hittable, slow.... his strengths are his toughness, heart, cardio, and ability to take advantage of opportunities for finishes. Great subs but no TDs, and his striking has definitely improved a lot but we are talking about Max who walked through Jose Aldo twice and has beaten up everyone in the division at will on the feet in the last few years. He lands a TON of strikes and against a stationary opponent with poor defense that just makes it even easier. Not only did Max have the big striking edge, but he has Ortega's top strengths (chin, heart, and cardio) beat as well. So, very few chances for Ortega in that matchup. I think he brought his best and we saw his best effort, but outside of snatching a guillotine in a scramble or a hail mary strike he loses that fight a huge majority of the time. He is still a beast just a terrible matchup.

Last edited:
People were (for good reason) skeptical of Max's health, that's why so many picked Ortega. It wasn't because Ortega is regarded to be a better fighter.

Trying to find a comparison between Ortega and NGanou that I think is legit and I can’t. I don’t even think the UFC got behind Ortega like they did Francis.

Ortega is a the real deal, Francis will never be more than a gatekeeper. A guy that knocks out lower level heavyweights in dramatic fashion, but never beats a top guy.

Ngannou was way more overhyped. His game is based on his power. Ortega has more technique and abilties.

Back