Did Fedor just stop caring at all?

Ryo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He hasn't really fought intelligently in awhile. He used to be one of the smartest fighters in the game. I know age is one thing, but from the interviews and training footage it just doesn't seem like he cares at all anymore.

I think Holland is one of his problems. For what ever reason, Fedor forgot that he's a ground and pound submission fighter. For the worst few years of his career he's done his very best to stand and swing no matter what... I have no idea why. He used to throw punches to setup takedowns...

He used to be a Judo wrecking machine with ground and pound like nobody else. I don't think he even trains grappling seriously anymore, from the training I've seen in the last few fights. Did Jesus do this to him? It seems like it was all down hill after that. He became more reclusive and less interested in destroying other fighters and taking their souls like he was known for. I will always be a fan but the last few years have really confused me. What happened to being and Judo and Sambo national and world champions?

Well, he looks slower. and there's no denying the wars/times toll.. And he did get punched flush in the fucking face by a 260 pound heavyweight fighter.

As soon as he left pride...something just changed.

was just having this thought myself. I mean there might have been a gamplan to get Matt to the ground but that was literally laid to rest pretty quick. But its not just the losses theres something generally missing since his come back. Always sucks to see great fighters get like this towards the end of their careers

He hasn't really fought intelligently in awhile. He used to be one of the smartest fighters in the game. I know age is one thing, but from the interviews and training footage it just doesn't seem like he cares at all anymore.

I think Holland is one of his problems. For what ever reason, Fedor forgot that he's a ground and pound submission fighter. For the worst few years of his career he's done his very best to stand and swing no matter what... I have no idea why. He used to throw punches to setup takedowns...

He used to be a Judo wrecking machine with ground and pound like nobody else. I don't think he even trains grappling seriously anymore, from the training I've seen in the last few fights. Did Jesus do this to him? It seems like it was all down hill after that. He became more reclusive and less interested in destroying other fighters and taking their souls like he was known for. I will always be a fan but the last few years have really confused me. What happened to being and Judo and Sambo national and world champions?

I only saw a clip, but I don't think they train him in Holland kickboxing gyms to keep his left hand down by his waist and lead with an overhand right.

right when the fight started, and I saw fedor's feet glued to the floor like a doughy statue, I knew it was over.

Between him and his opponents, Fedor used to be the fleet footed one

People age they can't train like they did when they were younger as it takes much longer to recuperate and heal up. They then try to win fights just on experience alone. They all make the same mistake trying to rehash the past. Hopefully Fedor decides to retire for good. No matter what the outcome of tonight's fight Fedor's time in Pride and Affliction solidify his place as the GOAT.

I can recall the Sylvia fight when he was bouncing around on his toes. On this fight, he was flat footed and looked like he was holding a shit. I wonder if he just got old or if he fought injured.

Tonight to our fallen warrior, The Last Emperor, we bid farewell father! We lay to rest all that is sacred and pure! Fedor is gone, but he will not be forgotten! Tonight, tonight we dine in Hell!

IMG_2381.GIF

Depressing. Didn't he leg kick the fuck out of Monson? Where did that go?

In short TS, yes. Either that or his fight IQ is completely gone, or both.

It's not a matter of not caring. Fedor became a puncher and the part of his game that made him unique and dominant is nonexistent now. This was showing well before the Werdum loss btw.

People also forget that Fedors explosiveness and reflexes as a HW were HUGE attributes. All that is faded. He made the transition to puncher likely when all of these things...along with durability were still in tact.

It's best he retires. Nothing against Mitrione but he's just not a guy it's acceptable for Fedor to get flattened by and still keep going. It makes it hard for fans to believe it's for anything other than money.

He was all about his explosiveness and reflexes in his prime. He would just blitz slower heavies and use speed advantage. He wasnt really the most technical.

Once his physical prime past and he was a split second slower he started to get caught. Kind of like roy jones jr.

It's Gods Will

he was beaten by someone better... that all..

jesus, the excuses are unbelievable .."he didn't care" lol.....It's like the DNC with russia....except Fedor is Russian lol.

It's called AGE... happens to everyone...

In his time, Fedor was something special... that time has clearly passed.. it has for a while now... not sure why so many people were shocked... TBH, I was surprised he managed to catch Matt at all... Maldonado showed just how shopworn Fedor was last year... the 12 month layoff sure didn't help...

It's been 7 years since Werdum submitted Fedor, just under 6 since Dan Henderson knocked him senseless... he was done back them, can't figure out why people expect a few year layoff is going to change anything... For my money, Fedor's last great fight was against Cro Cop in 2005, that is a lifetime ago...

He just said he's no retiring. Press conference going on right now

Back