Did fedor just sambo chael ?

More like ground-shy. Besides Jeff Monson fight he was overagressive too much and is not being good for him.
Being overagressive got him fucked up agaisnt Henderson and many others (Maldonado, Mir...), like he wwas eating punches like a motherfucker that Henderson fight not even counting the ko itself.

He fights these days like he is black belt at CHUTE BOXE street fighting.
He is ground shy I suspect because he knows he is better standing than his opponents, he will not have the necessary gas to out grapple for the duration of the fight. Today he showed good fight iq. I was impressed. Also was impressed with his reflexes.

Doubt Chael would work a fight where he takes sledgehammers over and over to the face.

Would have been much easier and better for everyone involved if Fedor just armbarred him from the bottom.

Chaels all WWE.Hes risked his freedom before he'll take a small pummeling for a paycheck.

He is ground shy I suspect because he knows he is better standing than his opponents, he will not have the necessary gas to out grapple for the duration of the fight. Today he showed good fight iq. I was impressed. Also was impressed with his reflexes.
His reflexes looked good agaisnt mitrione... But he should not slug it out no more, not with this current chin and lack of moving the head from the center line when punching.

But he is kind of wrong, since he is getting tagged like crazy. He should mix more, he showed at the mir and sonnen fight he still got Strong hips.

Just got back from the fight. Huge Fedor fan.
Looked like a work to me.If anyone is putting in work its Chael.
Yeah, I'm gonna say no to that. If Chael were to work the fight, he would have dropped after the first big punch Fedor landed (the first few seconds of the fight). I do think he gave up though - Fedor finished the fight with pretty weak punches - Chael could have made an escape, if he wanted to - I just don't think he wanted to continue. While the fight was short, Chael did try quite a few things in those few minutes - he even got a dominant position once, but was reversed. Basically, Chael wasn't able to do much, while suffering quite a bit of damage - he probably realized that if this were to continue.... it would be pure domination for a lot longer than it had to be, so it's better to submit sooner rather than later.

I can't even picture what a shoop thread would entail.

Fedor Chael.png

His reflexes looked good agaisnt mitrione... But he should not slug it out no more, not with this current chin and lack of moving the head from the center line when punching.
Yea that Mitrione exchange was something of a fluke occurrence but still I found it unwise that Fedor would want to exchange so fresh with that guy with such a long reach. I bet he learned from that and wouldn't have done it in a rematch.

Yeah, I'm gonna say no to that. If Chael were to work the fight, he would have dropped after the first big punch Fedor landed (the first few seconds of the fight). I do think he gave up though - Fedor finished the fight with pretty weak punches - Chael could have made an escape, if he wanted to - I just don't think he wanted to continue. While the fight was short, Chael did try quite a few things in those few minutes - he even got a dominant position once, but was reversed. Basically, Chael wasn't able to do much, while suffering quite a bit of damage - he probably realized that if this were to continue.... it would be pure domination for a lot longer than it had to be, so it's better to submit sooner rather than later.

Chaels a great fighter but a better actor at this point.I do think Fedor could have won the fight anyway. It just looked to me like Chael didn't give it his all.It actually looked like he was on ice skates the way he flopped around.Seemed suspect how he turtled up.

Is there a BJJ technique that Chael was going for? Can anyone link to a video that shows this?

Chael said in the post-interview that he had his arm over Fedor's chin. Is there a legit BJJ technique that transitions into a submission from there?

giphy.gif
That roll was a thing of beauty. Chael secures that takedown but Fedor, like a falling cat, flips it and ends up on top.

Is there a BJJ technique that Chael was going for? Can anyone link to a video that shows this?

Chael said in the post-interview that he had his arm over Fedor's chin. Is there a legit BJJ technique that transitions into a submission from there?
This one

Look at minute 1 and 25 seconds, that's Chael.

Chael also tried to flip Fedor in a straight line and not at an angle, like Tonon did, but to do that it's better to have double underhooks instead of the seat belt, like Jacaré at 1 minute and 30 seconds in this video.

Last edited:
I thought Fedor looked incredible. He had a great scramble, lost position and was mounted got out with a well timed and well executed sweep. VERY impressed by his performance.

Yeah, this was easily his most impressive performance in the past decade imo. Against Mir, I thought he looked weak, old, and chinny, but I was still happy that he won. Here, he legit reminded me of 2004 Fedor, with his throws, escapes, and wild ground and pound. Happiest I've been about a fight in a loooong time.

Any gif of chael in mount. It seemed like fedor shoved chael off him.

Yeah, agreed. What's ironic and frustrating is that he never tries to grapple strikers anymore: he only counter grapples. If Chael was dead set on just boxing Fedor, I don't think we'd have seen them go to the ground.

Fedor has no cardio anymore. Bit sad to see him get taken down by Chael after he got gassed. Showed some good skills at time otherwise.

I thought Fedor looked incredible. He had a great scramble, lost position and was mounted got out with a well timed and well executed sweep. VERY impressed by his performance.
He just powered out fron chael's mount, it wasn't that well executed..

Early on fedor was tossing chael around like he did to shinya ayoki in their exhibition grappling match......DAMN

fedor looked every bit of 40+ years old but damn doesn't that old dawg still have some tricks or what?

Perfectly timed sweep from the bottom and his counter strikes were pretty on point.

Good to see him motivated but bader will be a very tough fight to win.
He’s still faster and more explosive than most heavyweights, and he moves well. Compare him to guys like Derrick Lewis or Curtis Blaydes or even DC and Stipe. In terms of hand speed and explosiveness, he’s probably above those guys (not saying he would beat them though; just that he doesn’t move or punch like an old guy).

He looked really good, maybe the best he's looked since the Werdum loss.

But his TDD is the one glaring weakness i saw, and its the one thing that plays into Bader's game. I hope he's able to have success from the bottom against bader too but i'd like to see better TDD in his next fight.

That agility. Fuck.
Was a pleasure watching Fedor work. Versatile and unpredictable, he showed flashes of the greatness of old.

Back