Did Cruz get old or was he figured out?

I think its everything, fighters are getting better trained now and that combined with his own decline, also he isnt loosing left and right to chumps, he is still good imo.

He got old. His entire style was based on speed. Easier to telegraph your entire style and get backed up to the cage when your speed isn't there. His speed helped him get his takedowns, as well. He was also studied for years as he got older, so it's a little bit of him being figured out. But a prime Cruz would beat everyone at the weight class, except O'Malley. If O'Malley's TDD has improved enough to help Cruz get off his nuts, I think he could have beaten Cruz.

I'd day both. His style required a certain type of athleticism. He got older, slower and his injuries negatively impacted his abilities.

Watch his performances against DJ or the second Faber fight for example. He looks very different in comparison. He actually got a bit of that back in his most recent run but spending so much time recovering from injuries probably stood in the way of evolving and adjusting his style further.

Still BW GOAT imo.

Hard to be the herky jerky footwork guy at 135 lbs when your knees are made of crap.

Not like he was suddenly getting dominated by everyone though. He was doing a decent job hanging with the top of a new generation of fighters. He was beating Chito through 3 rounds before the head kick.

both, team alpha male had basically been training for a decade to beat cruz in particular. Cody's performance was as close to a flawless victory as we get in mma. But had cody not beaten him dom would have, of course, lost to somebody else. You can't last forever and dom's knees and ankles were already on the outs.

Back