Diaz Defensive Jitz > Maia Offense

Always amazes how this mediocre fighter gets people to believe almost anything

Gsp would beat the shit out of maia and choke em out in the 4th.
GSP would beat him (if he's close to the same) but he wouldn't even try to submit him or take the fight to the ground.

I like both guys a lot. But, Maia > Diaz at this time.

I think Maia takes the belt against Wonderboy, but could have some problems with Woodley... I would still bet on Maia. Then again, I think Nick would beat Woodley.

2v807b9.jpg

{<jordan}
oh, know GSP is a KO machine, sure

Maia have tapped Mir in training. I love the Diaz brothers but no way in hell they would submit Maia.

Diaz took no damage from gsp in the entire fight on the ground which is shocking becuase gsp busts everybody up on the ground with elbos. That shows how good Diaz defensive skills are.
elbos... right...

Nick Diaz hasn't won a fight in over 5 years. How about we get him a win before we talk about how he'd do against top 5 fighters, okay?

BJ took Diaz's back within a round.

Maia ends it's in a round.

Back then BJ Penn also summarily dumped Jon Fitch - twice - and took his back, twice.

Suffice to say things change. BJ Penn won't be tapping out the current welterweight champion.

Or against fringe top 10 who haven't won a fight in like 5 years.

1453.gif

Ha fair enough.

But I think the morale of the story is styles make fights.

Nate Marquardt summarily one-punch KO'd Maia. Far and away the two best welterweights Maia fought are Rory MacDonald and Jake Shields, and they both beat him.

Maia has never been the best, then and now. He lost to Rory because he has an atrocious gas tank with the weight cut he does to make 170lbs. That doesn't match up with with Diaz. Diaz just needs to be good enough to avoid the submission in round 1. From there, Maia is going to sink like a stone.

The two best welterweights Maia fought both beat him.

Rory MacDonald had to defend some tough positions in the first round, then right on time Maia ran out of gas and Rory beat the brakes off him. Even a 500 fighter like Matt Brown was able to hurt Maia down the stretch, and Brown loses to EVERYBODY.

The huge gaps between weight classes is tough on a guy like Maia who has to cut too much weight for welterweight but is a bit undersized at middleweight. He would likely be the champion of a 178lbs division.

So long as he's making the enormous cut to welterweight, Maia's gas tank is a liability. I wouldn't bet on him against black belts with excellent cardio.

Well the two best WWs Nick fought beat him too and everyone who took the fight to the ground at WW beat Nick

BJ Penn is a world champion in BJJ
Nick Diaz is not
Maia is a multiple time world champion.

doesn't mean he wouldnt finish the fight standing.

Besides Maia couldnt beat shields on the ground who's BJJ is not any better than Nick's

Sheilds is a far better grappler then Nick in MMA. Nick has lost every grappling fight he has been in MMA

Maia couldn't even take down Anderson Silva, and Anderson Silva's weakness is wrestling.

Andersons TDD is far better then people think. Also Maia is slow on the feet and usually clinches against the cage to get the TD. Anderson is too light on his feet to get taken down by a guy like Maia. Nick is flat footed and would be pushed against the cage easy

I don't hate him, he's just incredibly overrated

WOOO boi!!!

If the other guy has no footwork and he let himself get hit in the face and if the guy take Nick down and gives him is back

Nick can look really really good

But everybody is afraid...

Maia, Shields, and GSP are all vastly superior grapplers than any Diaz.
This thread is god awful

Ha fair enough.

But I think the morale of the story is styles make fights.

Nate Marquardt summarily one-punch KO'd Maia. Far and away the two best welterweights Maia fought are Rory MacDonald and Jake Shields, and they both beat him.

Maia has never been the best, then and now. He lost to Rory because he has an atrocious gas tank with the weight cut he does to make 170lbs. That doesn't match up with with Diaz. Diaz just needs to be good enough to avoid the submission in round 1. From there, Maia is going to sink like a stone.

Those are all fair arguments, but they are really downplaying Maia's wins while upping the Diaz's ones.

While the reality is that both Diaz broth got badly controlled and beaten by every other strong grappler they've faced.

And plenty of those guys could be described just as that 'strong grappler' and nothing more. Not even touching the Maia's level.

I can agree that if it was :

- 5 round fight
- Nick managed to last to the 4th

Then he could potentially make it interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back