Diaz Defensive Jitz > Maia Offense

I feel like throwing up after seeing this thread

The two best welterweights Maia fought both beat him.

Rory MacDonald had to defend some tough positions in the first round, then right on time Maia ran out of gas and Rory beat the brakes off him. Even a 500 fighter like Matt Brown was able to hurt Maia down the stretch, and Brown loses to EVERYBODY.

The huge gaps between weight classes is tough on a guy like Maia who has to cut too much weight for welterweight but is a bit undersized at middleweight. He would likely be the champion of a 178lbs division.

So long as he's making the enormous cut to welterweight, Maia's gas tank is a liability. I wouldn't bet on him against black belts with excellent cardio.

His wrestling has improved loads since then. Also his BJJ application in MMA has not stayed still either.

I don't think his skill level has changed in the last three years as he's approaching 40. Surely he's keeping things sharp but I find it unlikely he is demonstrably a better wrestler today than he was at age 36.

What we've seen is Maia doubling down on a grappling only offense.

That didn't work against Shields in 2013, it wouldn't work now. The same reason Rory MacDonald beat the brakes off him - Maia doesn't have the gas tank to dominate grappling against elite opponents down the stretch.

That works against green guys like Gunnar and LaFlare, or a .500 fighter everyone beats like Brown.

His wrestling has improved loads since then. Also his BJJ application in MMA has not stayed still either.

ONly reason you think he is better is becuase he beat condict... he is the same fighter.

I don't think his skill level has changed in the last three years as he's approaching 40. Surely he's keeping things sharp but I find it unlikely he is demonstrably a better wrestler today than he was at age 36.

What we've seen is Maia doubling down on a grappling only offense.

That didn't work against Shields in 2013, it wouldn't work now. The same reason Rory MacDonald beat the brakes off him - Maia doesn't have the gas tank to dominate grappling against elite opponents down the stretch.

That works against green guys like Gunnar and LaFlare, or a .500 fighter everyone beats like Brown.
Valid points, hard to argue against.
ONly reason you think he is better is becuase he beat condict... he is the same fighter.
It wasn't just that but the way he beat Condit was impressive, right?

If Nick could keep it standing most of the time, he'd win. And the only way he'd likely submit Maia would be to hurt him really bad first.

Ya that's why i see happening if they fought, maia cant hang with somebody like diaz. Just think if shields could strike he would have tapped out maia also.

Rewatching Gsp vs diaz, and maia vs shields you can tell diaz would give maia a beatdown he would never forget.... I wouldn't be surprised if Diaz submitted maia.

104_Nick_Diaz_vs_Carlos_Condit_gallery_post_large.0.jpg

You mean the GSP that couldn't finish Dan Hardy.....

Or do you mean the Maia that has beaten Jacare?

Fuck off troll.

He just happened to get him down early and get that position. Condict retired becaues he doesn't have it anymore.

First let me say - beating Carlos Condit, by definition, means you are an elite fighter. So we can't take anything way there.

But its important to contextualize that win. Condit had a spooky war with Lawler, and I frame it that way because both men took an unusually spectacular amount of damage without a stoppage. I have mixed feelings about such fights because its wildly entertaining but you also know its literally causing brain damage.

After that fight, Condit talked about retirement. Not with specifics, but he breached the conversation. Then we see the Maia fight, and Condit somewhat inexplicably gives up position. Condit later explains that a pedestrian, light strike on the ground caused him to overreact, and turtle up.

Condit subsequently retires and openly admits he's worried about brain trauma. That the light hit he took shouldn't have caused that kind of reaction. Of course, Robbie gets summarily knocked out in his very next fight as well.

FW Yair showing how much better this sport got.

Yair beating down a broken, out of shape bj penn who doesn't match up well striking wize with yair. new mma fans would never understand how good prime bj was.

I

Or against fringe top 10 who haven't won a fight in like 5 years.

1453.gif

maia is too good to get tapped unless he is hurt or something but nick can defintely neutralize i think Maia's top pressure and get the fight back to the feet... i dont see him doing anything offensive to MAia on the ground unless he beats him up first with strikes

First let me say - beating Carlos Condit, by definition, means you are an elite fighter. So we can't take anything way there.

But its important to contextualize that win. Condit had a spooky war with Lawler, and I frame it that way because both men took an unusually spectacular amount of damage without a stoppage. I have mixed feelings about such fights because its wildly entertaining but you also know its literally causing brain damage.

After that fight, Condit talked about retirement. Not with specifics, but he breached the conversation. Then we see the Maia fight, and Condit somewhat inexplicably gives up position. Condit later explains that a pedestrian, light strike on the ground caused him to overreact, and turtle up.

Condit subsequently retires and openly admits he's worried about brain trauma. That the light hit he took shouldn't have caused that kind of reaction. Of course, Robbie gets summarily knocked out in his very next fight as well.

Good breakdown, it's pretty clear condict knows he isn't the same fighter anymore and made the decision to hang it up.

Not really. Maia would do it easy
BJ Penn is a world champion in BJJ
Nick Diaz is not
Maia is a multiple time world champion.

doesn't mean he wouldnt finish the fight standing.

Besides Maia couldnt beat shields on the ground who's BJJ is not any better than Nick's

Back