Democrats’ cringy Mother’s Day ad: “You’re a Nazi, and your alcoholic mother hates you”

I truly do not understand how this has been so difficult for people. It's just light-hearted humor about a deteriorating political climate. It's not even subtle. Is the problem here that people are so used to being hit with a brick about everything that they can't process something like this? The video is by an org that is trying to flip the House to Dems, so it's not sarcasm.

this is what I meant to say as Seano puts it, it was like a parody of themselves, yet it had a somewhat serious tone. Either way it's an echo chamber like ad if intended, or created to mock libs? It did come off like a parody, so I was laughing.
This is the type of thing I mean when I say libs have become a parody of themselves. I can't even tell if this is real.

I never said the ad was merely a joke, its obviously a political ad with a point. But that doesn't mean they aren't exaggerating to make their point as part of the joke.

They aren't exaggerating though. They believe that shit, and want you to believe that shit. Otherwise, what's the point? To mock themselves? That is the point I've been making this whole time. If anyone watches that ad with the message attached to it at the end, nobody is going to come to the conclusion that the message is not to be taken seriously, and it's just a joke. Again, this is the where the disconnect is. Yes, it's a parody of intervention ads. However, the message is a serious one. They aren't just fucking around, and being absurd. They want you to see Republicans as they are portrayed in the ad.

The reason people are looking at it as lame as fuck attack ad, and not a joke, is because of the group it comes from. It's not a skit from The Onion. It's a political attack ad from Tom Steyer. What is so hard to understand about this?

They aren't exaggerating though. They believe that shit, and want you to believe that shit. That is the point I've been making this whole time. If anyone watches that ad with the message attached to it at the end, nobody is going to come to the conclusion that the message is not to be taken seriously, and it's just a joke. Again, this is the where the disconnect is. Yes, it's a parody of intervention ads. However, the message is a serious one. They aren't just fucking around, and being absurd. They want you to see Republicans as they are portrayed in the ad.

The reason people are looking at it as lame as fuck attack ad, and not a joke, is because of the group it comes from. It's not a skit from The Onion. It's a political attack ad from Tom Steyer. What is so hard to understand about this?
I think they are exaggerating, the kid in the ad is an over the top caricature because it makes the ad funnier and it makes the point more obvious, Yes its an attack ad and the message is that the GOP is the party of racists and sexists but they're clearly exaggerating for comedic effect.

They aren't exaggerating though. They believe that shit, and want you to believe that shit. Otherwise, what's the point? To mock themselves? That is the point I've been making this whole time. If anyone watches that ad with the message attached to it at the end, nobody is going to come to the conclusion that the message is not to be taken seriously, and it's just a joke. Again, this is the where the disconnect is. Yes, it's a parody of intervention ads. However, the message is a serious one. They aren't just fucking around, and being absurd. They want you to see Republicans as they are portrayed in the ad.

this is where the problem lies. With all the crazy stuff going on, it's hard to know if they mean it in a literal sense or not. Libs lost it big time when Trump got elected, and normal folk, even friends of mine would go on FB to rant on Trump as the literal hitler. When you've got fanatics making jokes, you've got to scratch your head a little.

Also, not being white, it's harder to relate, is this a real thing among white folks? <Lmaoo>

I think they are exaggerating, the kid in the ad is an over the top caricature because it makes the ad funnier and it makes the point more obvious, Yes its an attack ad and the message is that the GOP is the party of racists and sexists but they're clearly exaggerating for comedic effect.

If they are exaggerating for comedic effect, and not malicious intent, then they are mocking themselves. There is no point to the ad, if they are trying to make it clear that they are exaggerating. Can you understand that?

That would be like seeing a Trump ad where he's calling for Hillary to be locked up, and then trying to play it off as a big joke. Like he doesn't want you to believe she's really a criminal, and is just trying to be funny. Umm...no.

If they are exaggerating for comedic effect, and not malicious intent, then they are mocking themselves. There is no point to the ad, if they are trying to make it clear that they are exaggerating. Can you understand that?
There is a point though, its to mock the GOP and rally the base. The ad uses comedic exaggeration and parody for that end.

Shit like this is why trump won.

Please liberals, keep calling your average Americans stupid and racist.

It’s really working well for you...
It doesn't work but demographic change will. See how they only attack whites.

There is a point though, its to mock the GOP and rally the base.

It fails though. It only ends up making Liberals look insane for holding such beliefs, which is why people are laughing at it, and not with it.

Its a real ad but not from the Democrats. Then again, its probably a left leaning super PAC so the distinction isn't that hard and fast. But if you're going to start tarnishing Dems with these kids of ads it also works both ways.

Do you not know who’s paying for that? Tom is dead serious.

It doesn't work but demographic change will. See how they only attack whites.

Well let’s hurry it up. Once they’re the majority and all their problems still remain, they’ll finally realize the democrat policies are terrible and have turned their communities into shitholes.

It fails though. It only ends up making Liberals look insane for holding such beliefs, which is why people are laughing at it, and not with it.
I didn't think it was that funny either but that doesn't change the fact that it was an attempt at humor via parody and exaggeration and not an ad meant to be taken entirely seriously and at face value like ads such as this one

I didn't think it was that funny either but that doesn't change the fact that it was an attempt at humor via parody and exaggeration and not an ad meant to be taken entirely seriously and at face value like ads such as this one

Latte drinking, sushi eating, volvo driving. LOL

That would be like seeing a Trump ad where he's calling for Hillary to be locked up, and then trying to play it off as a big joke. Like he doesn't want you to believe she's really a criminal, and is just trying to be funny. Umm...no.

That’s correct. The weird thing about this “humor” is that it might have worked as a right wing attack ad parodying liberal hysteria. In fact, some right wing site could claim it for their own, leaving 98% intact and just doctor it with different captions and tag line at the end. This is why the YouTube comments are full of people insisting this must be some sort of false flag on the part of conservatives

This type of tactic is clearly not working in this day and age. Sad thing is I think they still wont change because they have no other cards to play.

Slow death ensues.

Not only talking about dems here but anyone still trying to use similar tactics.

I didn't think it was that funny either but that doesn't change the fact that it was an attempt at humor via parody and exaggeration and not an ad meant to be taken entirely seriously and at face value

I disagree. While the Steyer ad takes the parody route of an intervention ad, and that is all intentional, the message is still as laughably hysterical and absurd, as the NRA one. What makes them both the subject of mockery, is because the message in both ads are serious ones, and not jokes.

If both ads were released by a comedy group, the messages would be received very differently than intended when released by their respective groups. The NRA ad would be viewed as mocking crazy right wing NRA types, and the Steyer ad would be viewed as making fun of crazy super left Liberals. It's why you see comments of people questioning if the Liberal ad is actually serious, because it makes them look so ridiculous. If you blindly showed someone the NRA ad, and told them it was an SNL skit, and not to be taken seriously, they would believe you because it's so over the top. Same kind of logic works with the Steyer ad. Sadly, both groups who released them are being deadly serious with the messages within them.

I disagree. While the Steyer ad takes the parody route of an intervention ad, and that is all intentional, the message is still as laughably hysterical and absurd, as the NRA one. What makes them both the subject of mockery, is because the message in both ads are serious ones, and not jokes.

If both ads were released by a comedy group, the messages would be received very differently than intended when released by their respective groups. The NRA ad would be viewed as mocking crazy right wing NRA types, and the Steyer ad would be viewed as making fun of crazy super left Liberals. It's why you see comments of people questioning if the Liberal ad is actually serious, because it makes them look so ridiculous. If you blindly showed someone the NRA ad, and told them it was an SNL skit, and not to be taken seriously, they would believe you because it's so over the top. Same kind of logic works with the Steyer ad. Sadly, both groups who released them are being deadly serious with the messages within them.
I'm not saying its a great ad, cringy is a pretty fair description, but its not asking to be taken at face value like the Charlie Daniels NRA one. With an ad like this its about the general message("GOP bad") with the specifics(the kid being a sexist Nazi) being used for comedic effect and to facilitate the larger message.

With an ad like this its about the general message("GOP bad") with the specifics(the kid being a sexist Nazi) being used for comedic effect and to facilitate the larger message.

No. They are being serious. Go check out some of Tom Steyer's shit. He is being deadly serious here. You keep skirting that and downplaying that they're actually being serious with how they portray the Republicans, because it's just so ridiculous, but I assure you, it's serious in it's intent.

I don't even know why this is so hard to believe. Steyer is a hard left Liberal, and the message is a cringey hard left Liberal one...that is completely serious. It's not like Liberals believing that all right wingers are racist nazis is something new, and unheard of.

I'm not saying its a great ad, cringy is a pretty fair description, but its not asking to be taken at face value like the Charlie Daniels NRA one. With an ad like this its about the general message("GOP bad") with the specifics(the kid being a sexist Nazi) being used for comedic effect and to facilitate the larger message.

It may be pointless to even attempt an earnest analysis of such an inept ad but I suspect this was actually written and directed by some young millennial progressives who may be doing a slightly different version of one of their other common habits. Not sure if I’ll reach you with this or if I’m slaying one of your sacred cows (no offense intended by that) but have you noticed the young progressive speech habit of making statements with a rising inflection as if they were asking a question? Well that seems to be an attempt to assume a non-threatening posture as to get the statement past the audience’s guards and avoid inviting a challenge. In this ad they seems to be clumsily trying to tack humor into an otherwise intact and completely heartfelt message as to disarm their target audiences bullshit detectors. Problem is, humor isn’t that easy, especially for overly serious, humorless people who are channeling their inner Hillary Clinton.

It may be pointless to even attempt an earnest analysis of such an inept ad but I suspect this was actually written and directed by some young millennial progressives who may be doing a slightly different version of one of their other common habits. Not sure if I’ll reach you with this or if I’m slaying one of your sacred cows (no offense intended by that) but have you noticed the young progressive speech habit of making statements with a rising inflection as if they were asking a question? Well that seems to be an attempt to assume a non-threatening posture as to get the statement past the audience’s guards and avoid inviting a challenge. In this ad they seems to be clumsily trying to tack humor into an otherwise intact and completely heartfelt message as to disarm their target audiences bullshit detectors. Problem is, humor isn’t that easy, especially for overly serious, humorless people who are channeling their inner Hillary Clinton.
{<huh}
No. They are being serious. Go check out some of Tom Steyer's shit. He is being deadly serious here. You keep skirting that and downplaying that they're actually being serious with how they portray the Republicans, because it's just so ridiculous, but I assure you, it's serious in it's intent.

I don't even know why this is so hard to believe. Steyer is a hard left Liberal, and the message is a cringey hard left Liberal one...that is completely serious. It's not like Liberals believing that all right wingers are racist nazis is something new, and unheard of.
Okay I'll admit that I don't know of Steyer and I'm not really willing to look into him so I'll just take your word

Bruh I know Bob has opinion on at least some policy. I immediately posted after that saying "on a serious note," meaning I was just fucking with Bob. We shouldn't have to be on the same political spectrum to joke with each other. You just came in trying to white knight the guy when he didn't even need it. Sad.
White knight a guy

Are you serious?

Back