Democrats’ cringy Mother’s Day ad: “You’re a Nazi, and your alcoholic mother hates you”

I didn't think it was that funny either but that doesn't change the fact that it was an attempt at humor via parody and exaggeration and not an ad meant to be taken entirely seriously and at face value like ads such as this one

One of my favorites. Check out this new one for a guy running for governor in Georgia.

Again, this is not an attempt at parody or something from a PAC. This is an actual ad run by the dude running.

He's got a big truck to round up illegals himself!

One of my favorites. Check out this new one for a guy running for governor in Georgia.

Again, this is not an attempt at parody or something from a PAC. This is an actual ad run by the dude running.

Wait, what? That's his own ad?

What a time to be alive when you can watch a political ad and not know who it's promoting.

The funniest part was her kid's portrait. What the fuck was he chewing on when they snapped the picture.

That's a fair Conservative analog in some respects. One big difference though is that this guy is stereotyping himself, not his political opposition. Stereotyping yourself as a hillbilly (as he is arguably going), is different from stereotyping someone else as a such. Imagine if he never ran this ad, but the Left ran an attack ad saying mostly the same stuff (e.g. "he's gonna round up your family with his pickup truck, tear up environmental regulations with his chainsaw, and 'blow up' welfare for the poor"). Basically, stereotyping yourself comes across as self-deprecating, but stereotyping others comes across as insulting.

That's a fair Conservative analog in some respects. One big difference though is that this guy is stereotyping himself, not his political opposition. Stereotyping yourself as a hillbilly (as he is arguably going), is different from stereotyping someone else as a such. Imagine if he never ran this ad, but the Left ran an attack ad saying mostly the same stuff (e.g. "he's gonna round up your family with his pickup truck, tear up environmental regulations with his chainsaw, and 'blow up' welfare for the poor"). Basically, stereotyping yourself comes across as self-deprecating, but stereotyping others comes across as insulting.

Do you know what "self deprecating" means? Because if you do it sure as hell doesn't seem like that's what they are going for in the ad.

Shit like this is why trump won.

Please liberals, keep calling your average Americans stupid and racist.

It’s really working well for you...
Naturally you would see something coming from one crazy persona and claim thats what all liberals are. I assume you are exactly the same as these conservatives....can we group you in with them? A lot aren't average, a lot are stupid and racist.

Do you know what "self deprecating" means? Because if you do it sure as hell doesn't seem like that's what they are going for in the ad.

I see the ad as poking fun at themselves for being middle-American stereotypes, even if they’re not exactly ashamed. It’s self-deprecating in the manner of Larry the Cable Guy I’d say - holding themselves out as crude and simplistic, rather than cultured and high-minded. Self-deprecating doesn’t require self-loathing or even direct self-criticism, if that’s what you’re suggesting.

I see the ad as poking fun at themselves for being middle-American stereotypes, even if they’re not exactly ashamed. It’s self-deprecating in the manner of Larry the Cable Guy I’d say - holding themselves out as crude and simplistic, rather than cultured and high-minded. Self-deprecating doesn’t require self-loathing or even direct self-criticism, if that’s what you’re suggesting.

Here's the big difference. Larry the Cable Guy made a point to make fun of him being a redneck and made it very obvious. This ad is very obviously courting people who believe this ridiculous stereotype. There is zero attempt at humor here.

Naturally you would see something coming from one crazy persona and claim thats what all liberals are. I assume you are exactly the same as these conservatives....can we group you in with them? A lot aren't average, a lot are stupid and racist.

You’re pretending half of the people from the left here don’t say the same things.

The difference in the adds shown here by consertives is they are getting their point or view across with some humor in some cases.

The add in the op was meant to be insulting.

However I'm sure I or someone here could find an add insulting left voters.

The difference is disagreement with views verses insulting them and their family as people.

Also when you have a presidential candidate call about half the country deplorable it doesn't help.

Obama had a slightly milder version with the guns and bibles comments.

When you dismiss the views of large numbers of people as stupid peasants don't expect them to just take it.

It's the same view taken by some here.

Here's the big difference. Larry the Cable Guy made a point to make fun of him being a redneck and made it very obvious. This ad is very obviously courting people who believe this ridiculous stereotype. There is zero attempt at humor here.

Just FTR, Larry the Cable Guy is actually a standup comic named Dan Whitney. He’s not a redneck and Larry is a character.

Just FTR, Larry the Cable Guy is actually a standup comic named Dan Whitney. He’s not a redneck and Larry is a character.

I like to think that the persona of Larry The Cable Guy was created out of frustration, from bombing in some hillbilly city. Like he went back to the hotel room just fuming over the rednecks who didn't get any of his jokes, and decided to go in hard on them the next night with this ridiculously stereotypical persona. Then, instead of the crowd feeling insulted, they connected with him, and now he's cursed by having to surround himself in the culture that he absolutely despises.

The thread is still going with butthurt rightwingers whinging, what a surprise.

Yes, Brian Kemp is so conservative that he literally wants to take a chainsaw to the EPA and round up illegals in his pickup truck.
<YeahOKJen>

Back