Demian Maia = Modern Day Royce?

comparing Maia to Royce is a disgracie. Maia is a more accomplished grappler than Royce ever dream of, and he's competing in a era full of killers. Royce beat up bunch of bums like Harold Howard and got busted for steroid.

Maia is a better man and a far better Jiu Jitsu practitioner than Roid Gracie.

Yep, and Royce's UFC win streak went for a whopping 13 months. By the mid-90s, the better guys (Ken Shamrock, Sak) were able to neutralize his BJJ...and even beat him in Sak's case. To see someone dominate on the ground and get a high percentage of submissions in current MMA is much more impressive. Royce mostly submitted kick boxers and karate guys with absolutely no wrestling or ground game.

okay, sure. But the basis of the comparison is that Maia's bjj is so superior that it's allowing him to dominate people who should otherwise kick his ass.

Invalid comparison, imo. Royce was fighting guys who knew nothing of BJJ. He might as well have been using sorcery those first dozen matches or so.

Nobody knew what was happening or how to deal with it.

In present day UFC - Everyone knows some BJJ and many know it quite well. What Maia is currently doing is FAR more impressive. He comes in with a predictable game plan and with his much improved wrestling he is getting guys to the mat and tapping them.

Also, head-to-head, prime-to-prime, Maia would crush Royce Gracie like a child.

comparing Maia to Royce is a disgracie. Maia is a more accomplished grappler than Royce ever dream of, and he's competing in a era full of killers. Royce beat up bunch of bums like Harold Howard and got busted for steroid.

Except he never fought Harold Howard. He was too beat up and worn out from Kimo, who, while much bigger/stronger, only had minimal grappling skills (most likely high school wrestling + a few months at some jiu-jitsu school). But that was all Royce could handle in one night. I agree with your broader point, though.

I still want to believe "tuck and roll" Howard could've taken Royce at UFC 3, though I doubt he could.

Very fair assessment, I feel the same type awe watching Maia as I did Royce...

okay, sure. But the basis of the comparison is that Maia's bjj is so superior that it's allowing him to dominate people who should otherwise kick his ass.

Uhhh...? Otherwise as in if they fought under boxing rules or?

is this a fair comparison?

absolutely.

I remember 3 years ago, when Maia fought Fitch, I thought he was the most boring guy out there. But after finishing Condit, Brown, and Magny, and destroying Gunnar, Maia needs to get the title shot.

Maia is a straight throwback to everything the UFC was based on. And while I can understand criticisms of his style, the truth is, if you can't like what Maia's been doing, you really have no depth, knowledge, and understanding of the founding principles of MMA.

Maia's run is even more impressive considering fighters now all train on the ground as well and have some concept of defense. When Royce was choking dudes out in the early UFC's, the competition really had no understanding of the ground game.

This.

What Maia is doing has no precedent. He is using an active wrestler/BJJ game as an mean to earn his victories.

I'm been waiting for a fighter like he since Arona was falling in his back waiting for the opponent to willingly bite the bait. I've always felt frustrated that most BJJ practioners were so weak wrestlers and have to await for a mistake of the opponent or some luck overhand.

Now Maia, just combined his fenomenal Jiu with an amazing wrestling to workout his victories and put his game the way he wants.

/SMH
jacare-souza-UFConFox15-press-750.jpg

lol, no, Royce only had BJJ and wasn't even an average athlete. Maia has decent striking, strong wrestling and the best BJJ in his weight class by far and is a decent athlete.

is this a fair comparison?
no.

what the ufc was originally and what it is now are not really comparable. In its initial incarnation, it was effectively an extension of the gracie challenge. The whole purpose was for different styles of martial arts to compete against each other with minimal rules and see whose style was most effective.

what the ufc and mma is now is a sport and style unto itself. The results of the original incarnation was that people discovered that no style was perfect and that a fusion of them was the most effective solution. Additional rules have been added for safety and to accommodate regulation.

royce was chosen because he was an average guy who knew bjj. maia is a high level athlete and one of the best bjj practitioners in the world who also happens to have additional training in wrestling and boxing. They are not comparable people, nor are their times in the ufc comparable in any meaningful way.

Nate Diaz has the most sub wins in non-tourney UFC history with 9. Maia has 8.

Back